Casa Batsu
$132
Monteverde Lodge & Gardens(Monteverde)
$236
$83
Monteverde Inn(Monteverde)(Great Value!)
$71
Savings alert! 30% below average rates

The price you found is 30% lower than this hotel's average rate of $101/night.

El Establo(Monteverde)
$255
$148
  • Breakfast included
Camino Verde Bed & Breakfast Monteverde(Santa Elena)(Great Value!)
$64
Hotel Belmar(Monteverde)
$199
$87
$75
All reviewsmariposa roomrecommend casahis wifecosta ricamulti courseson dannygolden retrievercloud foresthome away from homethree roomsan amazing hostcevichehelped us planfresh juicecan't recommend this place enoughb bscoffee plantation
Reviewed April 29, 2013

We stayed 2 nights & the service from Carlos beforehand and during was excellent. We received written confirmation of our booking and Carlos followed this up with a telephone call to us before we left the Uk to check up on our requirements for dinner & the booking of a night walk.
When we arrived, Carlos served us chilled wine & took us through their grounds to a lovely seating area to watch the sunset.
The following evening, after our night walk, he served us a superb seafood dinner cooked by himself & his wife - this including wine was $30 and was probably the best meal we had the entire holiday.
We stayed in the Colibri Room, which had 2 bedrooms, one bathroom & a kitchen / seating area. The bathroom was very small but very clean as were the bedrooms.
The drive up to Monteverde was on some of the worst roads I've ever driven on & it took us 90 minutes to complete the last 20km. We had booked the Skytours full package of walk, hanging bridges, sky tram & zip line and completed this shortly after arriving in Monteverde - this was great.
Ate the first evening at the Bon Appetite restaurant which was OK & really just what we needed - not feeling too hungry and slept well.
The next morning we spent 4 hours walking the Cloud Forest & saw many animals & birds and spent the afternoon relaxing in the Casa Batsu garden.
Really enjoyed our stay - thank you Carlos & your lovely family

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank 6nationschampsagain
Reviewed April 23, 2013

It has been one year since our stay at Casa Batsu and I am finally writing a review for our favorite accommodations in Costa Rica! Sorry to be so very late, Carlos and Paula...my tardiness does not mean we have forgotten you!

My daughter and I spent 4 nights at Casa Batsu and loved it! Carlos is an unusually gracious host. He is also extremely knowledgeable about the area (and Costa Rica in general), loves to share what he knows, and he is fun! He was super helpful arranging explorations for us. Paula kept the home fires burning and served us delicious breakfasts and was available for whatever we needed. The rooms and the setting are lovely and just a few minutes drive form downtown Monteverde. We had a fabulous time! And we will be back! Thank you Carlos and Paula for being such gracious hosts! ~ Faith & Aubrey

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank WAtraveler50
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We spent three weeks birding across Costa Rica. Carlos and Paula made us feel right at home at Casa Batsu. Located about 1km south of Santa Elena on a large farm, this small guest house has two large rooms. Our room, Maraposa, had two bedrooms, a fridge, small patio and TV. The bath was large with a stone shower. The room was clean and comfortable. There is a large covered patio for guests and seating area where a yummy breakfast is served with excellent local coffee and fresh fruits, included in your stay. We spent four nights. Carlos was extremely helpful in organizing a birding guide and suggestion places to visit based on our interests. We had a rental car and visited Monteverde Reserve, the Hummingbird Garden, Santa Elena Reserve and small private birding reserve with our guide Rafael. There wasn't enough time to see everything on our list. Carlos and Paula offered to prepare us a gourmet seafood dinner one night. It was the best meal we had in Costa Rica - Paula loves to cook.
If you want to have an authentic experience with a wonderful local family this is your place. We can't thank Carlos and Paula enough for making our stay memorable. The only negative was you can hear people in the adjacent room if they are loud.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
4  Thank peterylinda
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I booked a room over the internet for 4 nights at Casa Batsu nine months before my trip to Costa Rica. Carlos replied promptly with information about transportation and other services I enquired about and asked for confirmation to complete the booking. I hit reply confirming the details and asking him to please arrange the transportation he had recommended. I followed up with a second email a week later conforming pick up location for transfer. I did not hear anything further – so approximately 2 months before my trip I sent a third email. No reply. I tried phoning the toll free number but go a message – in British accented English - that the person I was trying to reach was not available. I sent one more email before leaving for Costa Rica. In Costa Rica I arranged my own transportation to Casa Batsu. I emailed Carlos from my hotel in La Fortuna letting him now that I would be arriving on the shuttle. Finally, I get a response. Carlos has no record of my reservation and has no room at Casa Batsu. I asked for help finding an alternative. Carols did not reply to me but he did call my hotel and told the desk staff that he could not help. It was Easter, everything was full and it would be too difficult to find accommodation. We were left stranded with no accommodation or transportation back to San Jose on the busiest week of the year.

The wonderful staff at El Silencio del Campo spent over one hour on the phone and internet to find us accommodation in Monte Verde area. They finally found us a room in Santa Elena. They also called transfer companies to ensure that we had transport back to San Jose and even followed up with a phone call to our hotel in Santa Elena to make sure that everything worked out alright.
To El Silencio del Campo: Thank you, thank you, thank you!
To Casa Batsu: Shame on You.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank get_out_10
CasaBatsu, Propietario at Casa Batsu, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2013

Dear Madam.

Thank you for your message, I'm sorry for the misunderstanding.
I imagine that it must be very uncomfortable and frustrating,
Realizing at the last minute, that you forgot to book your hotel.

I understand you want to vent your anger with us, but I want to clarify a few things:

1. You never have booked any room at CasaBatsu, There is a big difference between sending an email and make a hotel reservation.
2. All reservations that enter through our system, have a confirmation number. You do not have any confirmation number.
3. I have never booked any transportation, or other service for you. In 10 years as a travel expert, I have never dishonored a confirmation.
3. What really happened is that you contacted us in June 2012, we responded kindly. We also offered our assistance to you, in the warm way we serve all our clients . After that, we never heard anything from you, up to 24 hours before arrival.
4. I must admit that I simply inform you that there was no reservation in your name. The threatening and rude attitude you wrote your email messages. Alienated my interest to help you.

Thanks,

Reviewed March 23, 2013

If you're looking for an authentic Costa Rica B&B with unrivaled hospitality, delicious free breakfasts and an expert Monteverde host, Casa Batsu is the place for you! My boyfriend and I arrived to an incredibly warm Carlos and family - who made a delicious pot of Costa Rican coffee and offered us fruit as soon as we arrived. From there, Carlos put on his travel planning cap and helped arrange ziplining, night walks, hanging bridge and coffee tours for our two-day stay. He did all of the planning and negotiating (we got great prices!) and let us relax and enjoy his beautiful grounds as he planned these magical trips. Without a doubt, Carlos is the most welcoming host and knowledgeable expert on Costa Rica; he spent generous amounts of time and energy giving us a warm welcome into his country, and I will always remember our wonderful time spent at his B&B.

Aside from his fervor for all things Costa Rica and hospitality, Casa Batsu offers a beautiful and tranquil setting [awesome sunset spot] just a 3 min. drive from Monteverde's downtown area. The suite sizes are quite generous and perfectly clean. In fact, upon our arrival, the rooms were scattered with fresh flowers.

Net/net: Stay here if you're looking for an authentic B&B with unmatched hospitality. This was a truly memorable experience large in part to Carlos and his family's property.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple