After a very eventful and exciting drive from Arenal to Monteverde, we arrived at our home for the next two days and couldn't have been happier. We checked in with one of the owners, who was gracious and helpful. She outlined where we were on a map and made many food recommendations as well as tours. We ate at almost every one of her picks (3 out of 4) and they were all delicious and affordable!
The place is BEAUTIFUL. Our room was on the second floor of the front building (they have suites down another path) and had a great little deck to sit and watch all the amazing nature around us. The room is simple and quaint. The bathroom was just right.
Breakfast each morning is cooked to order consisting of eggs, meat, rice and beans, fruit, toast, juice and coffee. Both days were delicious and served by Rosie and Vicky.
A few pointers for people that are "sensitive" to noise or the woods or not used to anything but the Ritz (and why would you always want that?!!):
1. This place is a lodge. In the woods. There will be bugs. And critters.
2. Most people staying here are going on the great tours this area provides and they leave early. Breakfast starts at 6:30am, so yes, you will hear people out and about early. If you want to sleep in, wear earplugs and know that by 8am the place is basically empty.
3. Again, this is a lodge. Don't expect room service or someone to be at the front desk at all hours. They clearly state their available hours and if they aren't there at that exact moment, calm down and wait. It will all be ok.
This was a great experience and I highly recommend this to avid travelers that want comfort and quality at extremely reasonable prices.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Cala Lodge was built on three acres of property (1.2 hectares) of forest right next to the world-renowned Children's Eternal Rain Forest which has an area of 52.800 acres. It is the largest private reserve in Central America. Cala Lodge offers reasonably priced, cozy accommodations secluded from the noise and crowds and surrounded by beautiful forest with easy access to all the main attractions in the area. We help our visitors to design the best itineraries to take advantage of their stay in Monteverde and make it a memorable esperience. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Orbitz, Hotwire, Hotels.com, HostelWorld, Travelocity, Priceline, Cheap Tickets, Evoline ltd, TripOnline SA and getaroom.com so you can book your Cala Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cala Hotel Monteverde
- Cala Lodge Costa Rica/Monteverde