Tripadvisor
Anstey

“Happy with my visit to The Crown Inn”
Review of Crown Inn

Crown Inn
Ranked #8 of 14 Restaurants in Anstey
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 4 weeks ago

I would recommend this pub for dining or drinking. Excellent service and good food. Professional and friendly staff, good value food.

Date of visit: December 2019
Write a reviewReviews (150)

Reviewed January 5, 2020

Really Good food, nicest & healthiest prawn cocktail I have ever had, perfect roast potatoes & fab homemade Yorkshire puddings! friendly staff. Definitely going back after a walk in Bradgate Park.

Date of visit: January 2020
Reviewed January 3, 2020

On arrival at pre booked table for 1 pm.. Our table was in middle of the bar and could not even sit down at it. At a price of £58 per head. We had family get together. But was spoiled by the overcrowded Ness of the pub. As compensation the manager gave us a complimentary bottle of wine. But by this time it spoiled our Christmas dinner. Which we could not fault.

Date of visit: December 2019
Reviewed January 2, 2020 via mobile

Visited The Crown tonight to celebrate my nieces B’day.
Everything started off well, pleasant surroundings and good company.
There was 13 of us - 4 families all paying separately but ordering on the same table. Was told this wouldn’t be a problem - so the ordering began and each family visited the bar area to place orders.
All good so far...
The restaurant and pub was very quiet and several staff were managing the bar area - so enough staff to cater for everyone - so you would think! However, the pub must have been short staffed in the kitchen.
The meals started to come out - myself and my wife had ordered variations of a Burger from the Burger selection. The description on the menu was by far not what appeared on the plate - the burger itself was described as the The Daddy MAC - a burger with Mac’n’cheese topping - with a specialist burger sauce - the mac’n’cheese transpired to be 2 nugget size cheese bites - not the grandiose description on the menu! The sauce was non existent. The burger came with a small pot of chips, and no side salad (wrong of me to expect this ???) - which was a very small serving of fries in a small Tin pot - this was fine until the other meals came out which were served on plates with a massive amount of chips - I asked the waitress why there was so much of a difference to be told it was due to the price - looking at the menu the difference between my meal and the person next to me was 50p - the difference in food was shocking.
The waitress said she would bring me more fries of which I declined but were still brought out - none were offered to my wife by the waitress. There was no apology but simply put down to price. Looking across the table the portion sizes were so inconsistent- not just relating to fries/chips ... My only explanation for this is that because our meal was booked for after 7pm that food had ran out - not good enough when the restaurant table had been booked in advance.
We ordered sides of onion rings - the meals for the 13 of us slowly came out before sides had even been considered - my meal was 3/4 eaten before the side arrived, the same applies to my wife. Again no apologies were given and were just bought to the table as a matter of fact. Choice was wait for a full meal - food going cold - or eating the meal in stages!
Nothing else was said and the end of the meal consisted of onion rings.
Whilst the plates were being cleared away - a waitress glibly informed me that the onion rings were missed off the order and that a tab had been opened at the bar. ?????
We thought we had misheard and checked with another waitress who continued to clear the plates away. Her response was - oh the onion rings were missed off the order so will need to be paid for!
Absolutely disgusting service - no apology or conversation to explain - just all very matter of fact. The restaurant had made a mistake and just assumed that this was ok -
So, meals inconsistent, poor staff, lack of staff in the kitchen - lack of respect for customers.
Definitely will not be returning - appalling visit for what should have been a Happy Birthday event.

Reviewed December 8, 2019

Awful food, luke warm starter, cold mains, frozen food. Told us the veg and came out different, ran put of everything on order. So disappointing, been here a few years ago and standards have slipped massively. Wetherspoons would be better