“Great food”

The Crown Inn
Ranked #6 of 10 Restaurants in Anstey
Cuisines: Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
UK
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great food”
Reviewed March 29, 2013

Always great food and good value for money.

2 for 1 cocktails are also a great after work treat!

Only negative is that it can get cold especially if you have to sit near one of the doors.

• Visited March 2013

Leicester
“Better than expected”
Reviewed March 17, 2013

I have frequented this pub many times over the past 50 years and had my first ever pint of Double Dimond in there as a nipper when Mild and Bitter pulled traditionally was the norm. It has now been converted into a more up-market 'gastro-pub' dining experience with a good (safe) menu and well trained staff.

Service was top notch and so was the food and wine. Prices were about right for the type of venue, and we will deffinitely be returning for more soon as it's quite conveniently in the next village to ours.

Tip: Request a seat as far away from the entrance as you can get.

• Visited March 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Won't be going there ever again.”
Reviewed February 15, 2013

In summary: terrible service, OK food, overpriced.

As the closest pub to where I live, I've been visiting The Crown for the last two years. I used to be there every week, until last year when the food and the service started to go downhill (but the prices stayed the same!!). My meal this week confirmed in my mind that I'll never be visiting there again. We'd reserved and was taken to a small table where the chair seemed to have lost all structure and I felt like I was falling out the bottom! Our drinks and starter & mains were ordered and the drinks and starters arrived promptly. The starters were nice but certainly not worth the (£4-£6?) we paid for them. Things went downhill after this - I ordered another drink when my starter was being cleared away... 15 minutes later I still had no drink. My partner hailed the waitress as she walked by and asked where the drink was, to which she curtly replied "it's on its way". 5 minutes later she returned with my drink. Around this time the table next door (who had arrived after us) started to receive their mains. We waited another 15 minutes (half an hour after having finished our starters) before we decided to approach the wait staff and ask what was wrong. Twice we tried to call a waiter as he was walking by and twice he ignored us. It was a further 15 minutes (45 mins after starters had been eaten and an hour since we'd ordered) that our mains arrived. I'd ordered the roast beef and it was quite enjoyable, with the exception of the potatoes which were barely cooked (and makes me think that they'd forgotten about us). Previously I'd always had someone ask me if my meal was OK half way through but I didn't see a peep from the staff. After finishing our mains we were going to have dessert but sat waiting for so long to have our plates cleared that we eventually got bored, decided to wait to pay instead and left.

An utterly disappointing and depressing experience and I will NOT be visiting again.

• Visited February 2013
england
“Shabby Chic”
Reviewed February 4, 2013

A restaurant, in the pub, with passing punters and a band to boot so no conversation with your meal... unless of course you are escorted round to the far side bar, near to the outside fire exit which customers were using to smoke , uum....cold and interupted constantly as the toilets near by too !! The menu, well about five choices on each section !, everything is quite expensive, £6.50 for starter and very small and presented badly also. The waitresses did there jobs properly and were very polite, the food was not very good and my stomach the next day confirmed this..... Needless to say my friend and I wont return, but hey if you require the Queens menu, the jokers food, and the Kings crown, (pardon the pun) this is the place to be.....

• Visited February 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Wonderfull evening with excellent food”
Reviewed December 12, 2012

We booked the crown for a birthday meal and i can say the food was excellent with excellent service . presentation was excellent and i must say one of the best steaks i have had for a while .
A wonderfull evening shared by 7 people.