“Locals Night”

The Badger's Firkin English Pub
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 17, 2013

We have only been here for the Thursday night "Maids Night Off" they have fish and chips for $10.00. It's not too bad and there is a good selection of English beers and ciders. If you are local it is a good mid week break from cooking without breaking the bank. There is the whole menu as well, so plenty to eat.
We will return.

Reviewed December 7, 2013

I would love to know if the owners have ever set foot in an English pub. YES, the beer was English and there were a few pictures of the Queen on the walls but that was where the pub stopped being an English pub.

We ordered the ploughmans salad which was described as "choice selection of deli favourites: Pork pie, deli meats, cheeses, fresh garden salad, our own tasty capsicum relish, and warm, crusty bread". In reality it was one quarter of a pork pie, a relish that was blah and one cheese which was the pre- sliced type that is used in McDonalds and Subways. Also NO PCKLED ONION!!

The menu had so little "English" fayre that it really takes the mickey calling itself one. Examples include "Santorini Lamb", Tex-mex Vegetable hash, tagfliatelle...definitely not English!

By the way I am English so I think I have the right to review this pub in the way

This restaurant does have a lovely position but it would benefit from a major menu overhaul. We wished we had gone to the French café next door

Reviewed December 7, 2013 via mobile

Stumbled across this place and we were so glad. Great English beers, fresh food cooked to order and the most delicious desserts all made on premises. Hosts fabulous Andy English husband and I chatted with other English people in the bar. Really delightful. Can't wait to go back.

Reviewed December 4, 2013

We came here for a function, as we have done many times with various organisations over the years.The meal was an alternate drop of fish or turkey. Those who had the turkey said it was quite nice, but the fish - a cold fish fillet swimming in white sauce with a bit of very dry rocket salad is hard to get excited about. A number of people at our table did not eat their fish.The noise level was unbearable - I gave up trying to hold a conversation with the person sitting in front of me. I hate to think what it would be like with live music on top of the ambient noise.On the positive side, there is a number of interesting English beers on tap - the London Pride was very enjoyable.

If the owners want to keep the locals coming, they will need to look at their food and food service, and please do something to deaden the noise! It was never as bad as this before. I would not come back until the above points were sorted out.

Reviewed December 1, 2013

I drove past this pub a couple of weeks ago and noticed the english pub sign and wrote it down as a MUST to go, the place looks fantastic and with relatives from the UK visiting thought it would be a great place to go.

We visited today and struggled to find anything traditional english on the menu except for fish and chips (the portions were huge and good value for money) the bangers and mash were beef sausages, felt they should have been pork for "authentic english". And the menu contained a lot of seafood dishes. If you dont eat seafood then you are quite limited and with only one chicken dish on the menu that was a let down. Even the beef and guiness pie contained mussells.

We actually arrived expecting a traditional sunday roast to be offered but it was not. I dont think I have ever been to a british pub on a sunday that hasnt offered a roast with a nice big yorkshire pudding! Was highly disappointed about that and felt it really let them down.

There was live music that was playing which was great and created a nice atmosphere however the music was far to loud and even the waitress struggled to hear us.
This pub is in a fantastic location with great views. Not sure where the miles of parking is as we had to park next door at a french cafe. The food was average and I wouldnt take the 30 minute drive to go there again unless the menu changed. I wouldnt class this pub as an authentic english pub the menu is a lot more modern which I understand to keep up with current trends (i believe the restaurant is a merging of 2 other montville restaurants" but it is marketed as an "authentic" pub. This pub could make an absolute killing with the right menu and a few changes. Like any new establishment there are going to be some problems that need ironing out. Im yet to wonder why nobody is doing an english carvery on the coast with the amount of english here and feel this pub would be the absolute perfect place to have one :)

I left wondering what was actually english about the pub except the beer and exterior??