“never again”

Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Port Edward
wirral merseyside united kingdom
“never again”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

arriving at hotel reception vague no lift 2 flights of stairs to a room with a view which was lovely but there the lovliness ended.The bathroom floor in corners was filthy there was black mould on tiles the saving grace was the linen was clean.In the book.They stated a la carte restaurant recepton seemed unsure when it opened in the evening it should have been 6.30pm then it becme 7pm then on entering we sat waiting for service to be told it was a buffet for they had a group...It was expensive and catered for ethnic group of black south africans so the food was not really to european taste.The glass of red wine provided was acidic and had the taste of wine left opened for a few days without being recorked on complaining i was told i would not have to pay for it as i had only a sip i was not prepared to anyway then we were informed that a new delivery was expected next day.....only 1 set of towels for 2 people it took 30 mins to get 2nd set..The worst hotel that we stayed at in our trip to south africa and would not recommendit to anyone they need to get their act together

Room Tip: just do not book there
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank maggie416

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
East London
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

The plus is that it is located right on the R61 highway either to Mbizana or Durban, depending which direction you are heading. The hotel is still finding itself, there is no lift so you have to drag your bags upstairs and downstairs, they do offer to help. It was an overnight stayover, so it was perfect location for me. You get the feeling that they are revising the hotel, the balcony in each room if its sea facing is really nice for a smoker like me.
I felt that the bathroom was on the tiny side and they need to sort out the terrible shower screen which gets in your way when you need to run the bath. I was told that they were replacing the television, what I appreciated most was the fridge and microwave. There is a lot to improve, but it looks like a promising start, its in a complex with what looks like an apartment complex. There is ample of parking space and it could work as a conferencing venue.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank liyabee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 26, 2012

My husband and I booked in at the Premier Hotel Edwardian - Port Edward ,it was a fantastic hotal.The service was really great when we entered and also when we were checking out. the room that we stayed in was really clean and the views were out of this world. This is an experience that I will never forget.

Room Tip: Partial sea view and partial valley view
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Velosh
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

My husband booked at the hotel from the 3rd to the 5th of January 2012. When we arrived at 16h40 the bed was not made. We complained and were moved to another room. There was no telephone and the balcony was so filthy and it was obvious that it had not been cleaned for a long time, towels looked terrible, there was not even enough tolet paper in the bathroom. At the dinning hall we were ignored and hab to beg for the waitrons attention. We complained to management and the telephone and the balcony problem was not addressed until we left on the 5th. They really spoiled our holiday as we could not get any service from housekeeping or the kitchen due to not having a telephone. If we needed anything we had to walk to the reception which was a distance from the B section where we stayed.
I will never recommend that hotel to anyone because clients or customers are not respected and do not get value for money. If we had not paid in advance we would have checked out of that hotel on the 4th of January (my birthday) and went back to the comfort of our house.Managers at that place have no clue of what their responsibilities are and have the "I do not care attitude" which is bad for hospitality and tourism in our province and country. I would like to commend the receptionist who was on duty on the 3rd of January 2012, unfortunately she was not wearing a name tag for easy identification. She did her best to address the situation but was let down by the manager in charge on that day who did not take steps towards addressing the housekeeping challenges.

Room Tip: Higher floors have a better view of the sea.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Buyisiwe N

Travelers are raving about these Port Edward hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2012

My husband and 7 year old stayed the 27-30 December. We booked and paid for 2 adults and a child for DBB and an extra rate for a sleeper couch. All this was outlined in the invoice that was sent to me. When we arrived at the fully booked hotel we were told that "head office had messed up the resevration" and we were were booked into a room with only a double bed and not the family room that we had paid for. The unapologetic lady at reception thought she was being so helpful by offering us a mattress for my son to sleep on the floor. After refusing to accept this they tried to force an old tatty sleeper couch into a tiny room but it would not even fit into the room. After 2 hours of much frustration they maganged to relocate us to a family room. But it did not end there as they only had record of 2 people booked in so every meal was a nightmare for the first 2 days trying to explain that we had alreday paid for our child as well. Eunice in the resturant... you should not be in the hospitality industry. My husband was served mouldy bread with his chicken livers. The first room we were booked in was not clean with a dirty nappy in it. We did not have the correct amount of towels on any day and the tea and coffee was only replenished on the first day. We met the manager on the second day who was apologetic and very pleasant however this review had to be written so that others know what to expect. Almost everyone checking in during my 2 hours at reception upon arrival seemed to have some problem with their reservation. The front desk really need a major shake up as our holiday was nearly ruined by incompetant staff.

Room Tip: Double check and triple check your reservation and ask for it in writing
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank None312595
Pietermaritzburg, South Africa
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 4, 2011

I recently preaaranged a family weekend trip and decided to book at the Premier Hotel Edwardian. What a mistake. I had often seen this hotel from the roadside and the meditteranean exterior far outweighs the worst of South African Hospitality. Janita did my booking and promised me a an interleading room where my two sons could have their 2 single beds. Upon arrival the trainee gentleman was very obliging but obviously did not have the necessary expertise to handle our booking. We were allocated to room G8, a room upon entry smells like fresh paint that penetrates your sinuses and airways and a man hanging up the curtains . The view was that of themain road and there was a sleeper couch in a room. When I went down to enquire about the discrepency , a young white lady came over , and with great frustration proceeded to check up my details on computer. All the time the trainee was trying to explain to her that I had already paid and my details wereon the system. She proceeded to bang the cupboards and then pull out some keys and instruct someone to take us to another room. All this time with a rotten attitude not even saying hello. I voiced my disapproval at her behaviour and eventually Janita surfaced. She disputed our telephonic agreement and was very brazen in her attitude. I demanded a reversal of my payment and told her that I no longer wanted to stay at the Edwardian for her failure to jonor her agreement coupled with the unprofessional and rude staff that are employed there. Just a reminder to the frnt desk staff of the Edwardian...the customer is the one who pays your bills. In an economic downturn it is imperative that you keep your customers happy...and all that takes sometimes is courtesy and professionalism....Something Janita and her staff lack. I am a medical doctor and would hate to treat my patients with that degree of unprofessionalism. I urge all prospective tourists to the South Coast area to avoid the Premier Hotel Edwardian to spare yourself great disappointment. Overall a horrible experience.
Dr L. Pillay
Pietermaritzburg

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
4 Thank Llewellyn P
Washington DC, District of Columbia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 4, 2011

The reservation was screwed up. My room had no top sheet, no wash cloth, no air conditioning and the toilet was broken. The meal was served after two hours of waiting. There is a policy to bill your room then serve when the kitchen feels like it ... no matter who is at your table. They do not serve the whole table at once. They were out of ground beef so no hamburgers etc. They had no sausage so they served breakfast sausage for Bangers and Mash. The General Manager was no on site ... actually works in a different city. What used to be a good hotel looks like it has been taken over by Premier and is being milked for profits. Had to defrost the frig. which was empty ... not even bottled water.

• Stayed April 2011
#3 of 24 in Margate
Kuboboyi River Lodge
Kuboboyi River Lodge
#4 of 15 in Port Edward

Been to Splendid Inn Port Edward? Share your experiences!