“Good food, bad ambience”
Review of Petite Mort

Petite Mort
Ranked #2 of 11 Restaurants in Shenton Park
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed December 14, 2012

My French wife and I hosted two Parisians who were seeking a fine dining experience in the western Antipodes. After consulting tripadvisor they chose Petite Mort- the name appealed to the Frenchman.
We arrived on a weekday at 7pm. There were few occupied tables. So when we realised that two chairs and one bench were going to be uncomfortable we were able to be moved to a standard table.

We chose the Degustation Menu. Wikipedia defines dégustation as, “a careful, appreciative sampling of small portions of all of a chef's signature dishes in one sitting”.
At Petite Mort this consists of 9 courses. The pork belly, confit duck thigh, beef fillet Bernaise (sic) and the Death by Chocolate were well cooked and presented and very tasty. The hypercritical Parisians waxed lyrical about the barramundi.
I was introduced to two new tastes: wasabi icecream as an accompaniment to the smoked salmon and ginger water topped with sparkling apple served as a palate cleanser.
Bread is not served and I expected to be hungry at the end of the meal. The large complimentary serving of macaroons, madeleines and chocolate truffles at the end of the degustation ensured that I wasn’t.

By 7.30pm the restaurant was full. The Edith Piaf songs could no longer be heard. Nor could I hear my companions or the waitress. Like most Perth restaurants the walls are brick, the floor wood and the festive patrons, loud. I go out to eat and talk with friends and acquaintances. The Parisians told me that good French eating places are whisper quiet because fine eating is a serious business requiring the full use of all their senses. Oh to find such a civilised place in WA.

There is a ‘private dining room’ that has soft surroundings and a carpet resulting in more tolerable noise levels.

The wait staff are willing and the service prompt. But they all looked harassed and rushed about with their feet stomping on the floor and adding to the ambient noise. They sometimes ran into each other. This added to the unrelaxed atmosphere. It is possible for busy staff to glide about, look less stressed and be just as, or probably, even more efficient.

I will go back. But next time I will book into the ‘private dining room’ and order three or four dishes from the a la carte menu. And I will hope that I can converse with my companions.
Food 9/10 Service 7/10 Ambience 2/10

Reviewed December 12, 2012

Degustation menu with choice of 8 or 10 courses. Creative, skilfully executed, beautifully presented and innovative dishes. I thought that I would never be able to get through the dishes but they were not too big or too rich and were well spaced. This is not cheap and cheerful dining ; not for a big group but a restaurant for a special anniversary or an intimate occasion.

Reviewed November 12, 2012

We enjoyed a wonderful romantic dinner at this restaurant. The quality of the food places this restaurant well above the plethora of “also ran” eateries in Perth. The restaurant offers a wonderful range of delicate dishes, beautifully prepared and engagingly presented. Selections we enjoyed, (and I mean, glazed eyes enjoyment) included: Duck Liver Parfait, Port Jelly, Brioche, and Rhubarb; Goats Cheese Pithivier and Mushrooms; Orange Smoked Duck Breast, with Braised Witlof; Baby Chicken “a la Petite Mort”; dessert - death by chocolate. Each dish is entrée size (nouvelle cuisine); each adult would need 3 – 4 dishes, plus dessert. There is a wonderful wine list. It is expensive, but a great dining experience.

Reviewed November 7, 2012

my wife and I went to Petite Mort very recently. We were looking forward to seeing what this restaurant, with its mixed reviews, was like. Generally, service and atmosphere were fine and the staff knowledgeable about the dishes on offer. The wine list was extensive and covered many good French wines not ordinarily available here. We chose a pinot noir from Burgundy and at $60 I thought it was good value.

As for the food, it was on the whole very tasty and it is clear chef knows his game. However, the size of the serves was astonishingly small (perhaps tiny is the more appropriate word). Dishes that were offered for between $16 and $19 comprised three or four mouthfuls of food, and the dessert I had ($13) was smaller than a standard matchbox - two mouthfuls.

We spent $140 on food which comprised 3 dishes each and desssert, as recommended by our waitress. The wine was another $60 as mentioned above. Now, I am not a large man by any means (I weigh 69 kgs) but I needed further food at home at the end of the night to satisfy my hunger. This is of course not what one has in mind when eating out. My wife and I eat out twice a week on average and I have never had such small portions of food anywhere- either in Australia or Europe.

This restaurant has the makings of something special. The quality of the food cannot be faulted but it is unacceptable to have a situation where one would have to purchase in the order of 6 dishes to feel moderately well fed at a cost of about $100-$110 per person. Incidentally, we chose dishes in the $16-$19 range simply because they were our preference but there were several other dishes of the same size for prices ranging from $21-$24. I very much hope this place does not fail because we need chefs of this calibre but fail it will if people visit it and come away as dissatisfied as we were. Word of mouth advertising, both good and bad , will make or break most restaurants and this one is certianly no exception.

3  Thank matt255103
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Perth has seriously lifted its game with this relatively new(12 months)restaurant in the old Star Anise setting.Staff are attentative and knowledgable.We had the Degustation menu which is the only choice on Fridayand Saturday.Not normally a fan of degustation menus I have now changed my mind!! Fantastic.Cant wait to go back