“Disappointing meal”
Review of The Kicking Donkey - CLOSED

The Kicking Donkey
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: The Kicking Donkey re opened under NEW ownership in March 2012! We are becoming renowned for quality & excellence of our food, only local & seasonal ingredients are ever used. We even make all our ketchup, mayo, tartar sauces etc. in our kitchens!We have a fantastic & very large Beer Gardens, Children's Play Equipment, Free Range Chickens, Poly Tunnel, Vegetable Gardens, Ample Off Road Parking & a Gift Shop, situated in the most beautiful, peaceful surroundings within Brokerswood.We are very Child, Family & Dog Friendly, and have a large selection of draught Beers, Ales & Ciders, as well as some unusual alternatives!Come pay us a visit, you will not be disappointed!!Kindest RegardsThe Team at The Kicking Donkey
Reviewed June 1, 2013

I wish I had read the reviews before we booked the meal. We had to wait an hour for our meal to be served and when it came we were all disappointed with the food. One of us had ordered gammon and eggs plus a side order of onion rings. The onion rings were actually on the plate rather than seperately (which is no great problem) and there were no eggs at all! We asked the waitress about the eggs and she went off to get some but came back 5 minutes later with more onion rings!! We sent her off again but the eggs never did turn up. A friend ordered a 10 oz rump..Is that a steak? asked the waitress!! It came with about a dozen overcooked chips - luckily there were enough decent chips on my plate to share. I had battered fish and chips and I can honestly say it was the smallest piece of fish I had ever been served - the wedge of lemon covered at least half of it! The few mouthfuls of fish were OK as was the steak and gammon but we wont be rushing back there anytime soon. Such a shame as it's in a lovely setting but the long wait and unsatisfactory food and service spoiled our meal.

Reviewed May 31, 2013 via mobile

We visited the kicking donkey for lunch today and it was lovely to sit outside in their lovely garden where there are chickens and a good children's play area. The food was supurb and a great choice - it took ages for me to choose! I thought they cater for children very well as they are kept entertained by the chickens and the play area. We will be back :)

Reviewed May 28, 2013

Nice pub to eat in, near Frome
Not very busy as a Wednesday evening and only 2 tables in use
4 of us enjoyed the food and were happy with the portions

Reviewed May 27, 2013

The good: great location and family friendly outdoor area with slide and swing etc. Lovely chickens roaming around which kept my little boy entertained.

The bad: the food is very average, perhaps a small step up from Little Chef... Perhaps... Had a mixed grill which consisted of one very good sausage, one ok lamb chop, one overlooked pork loin steak and a terribly cooked piece of steak. Chips were not bad. For £19.95 this was massively overpriced. Girlfriend had a burger which was ok. When you pay top whack for this type of food and have condiments in sachets and average food, you have to ask what's going on! The chickens also get another mention as they jump I'm the tables and pinch your food, including a couple of chips from my toddler's hand. Entertaining at first, then annoying and a bit icky.

The ugly: slow service at bar from a lady who was very busily engrossed in conversation with a friend at the bar. Had to be directed to help me by a colleague and even then did not greet me, walked over to serve me and and carried on talking to her friend. This is incredibly rude and annoying.

Reviewed May 13, 2013 via mobile

We ate here on Saturday 4th May, good choice of beers and ciders served in good condition. Food was average we had a steak and a burger both cooked ok but let down by hand cut chips which good frozen ones could have surpassed as they were not good. Service was poor with one girl seeming to do everything while a male waiter did virtually nothing. Service at the bar was extremely slow and pub was not even full.