“Nice setting - shame about the standard of food and failure of staff to correct an issue” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Scoglio del Leone

Hotel Scoglio del Leone
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Zambrone
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 11, 2012

Although I enjoyed an amazing holiday in this area of Italy, I would not recommend this hotel, due to the reasons below.

The hotel is also quite a way out of Tropea and a taxi at 30 Euros return is required to get in and out of the town.

The pool area was very nice, however the bar area there was closed between 12 - 2:30pm, and had sold out of ice-cream for the duration of our one week stay. No other bar snacks or food were on offer.

We were half-board, however only ate dinner in the restaurant on the first night and found the menu to be very odd, on the nights that we looked this included things like rabbit stew, veal stuffed with ham and fish in sauce (?!). The breakfast was very average, and no-where near the 4* standard the hotel claims to be.

The rooms are small for a double, however the views from the sea facing balcony we had however were spectacular. The air conditioning barely worked so I image this would become a problem in the heat of the high season.

My partner and I had booked an evening trip and were advised by our rep to double check our pick up time with the reception on the day of our trip. The reception told me that the time of the trip (although we had originally been told pick up was 2pm) would be 2.45pm. Because this was such a big difference from the time originally quoted, I queried this and was met with a rude and snappy reaction from the member of staff that I was speaking with, that he was sure it was correct. At 2pm, my partner decided to check at the gate just in case the original pick up time was correct, and the bus was waiting to pick us up. If we had listened to the hotel staff we would have missed it.

Aside from the usual gripes about cleanliness and poor food, the main reason I give this hotel such a low rating is that they charged us for drinks that we did not consume and then proceeded to be rude and arrogant when I tried to point out that they had overcharged us. When I went to check out I was told the amount I owed and foolishly paid this without asking for the breakdown of spend. Only after the bill was settled did the hotel give us this breakdown, which included drinks that we had not had. The date of some of the drinks in question were placed on the bill whilst we were on the aforementioned trip, and for beverages neither me or my partner drink. When I raised this with the hotel reception, I was met with a reaction of ‘That is impossible’, a shake of the head and an aggressive manner. Not a good way to treat customers. Although I tried to argue that we had been over charged and claim the money back for the drinks we had not had, the hotel refused, were rude and I went home with a very sour taste in my mouth.

Room Tip: If you do go make sure you get a sea view room
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
      Location
      Sleep Quality
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
10 Thank LVT1986

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
South Wales
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2008

Having booked here for a week in early October and arranged tickets to Zambrone, our booking was cancelled one week before we were due to arrive. Apparently the hotel had decided to close early. Whatever the business reasons for the cancellation, I see this as appaling customer practice - no attempt to offer a direct explanation or offer alternative dates next year at a reduced price.

• Liked — Unable to tell
  • Disliked — Clearly the short-notice cancellation
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
10 Thank Barrybloke
Also consider these accommodations in or near Zambrone
BV Borgo del Principe
Lido San Giuseppe
Lido San Giuseppe
#1 of 10 in Briatico
Villaggio Club Baia del Sole

Been to Hotel Scoglio del Leone? Share your experiences!