Hotel La Potiniere
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Hotel 322(Schaerbeek)
$54
Chao Chow Palace(Saint-Josse-ten-Noode)
TripAdvisor
  • Breakfast included
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 5, 2012

Against my expectations, the hotel was good. I booked it for one reason only - it was located in Schaerbeek on the way from Brussels Zaventem Airport to the city center. But I've been there, when arrived in Brussels at the beginning of the trip. Now I had to fly back was interested in the proximity and convenient location of the hotel to the airport, to which I could get a bus. The hotel began repairs. It was the only inconvenience. Although it was evident that the equipment (f.e. elevator) was replaced with a new, modern one. The room was very comfortable, clean and relatively spacious. All the equipment was working properly. I hadn't complaints about the hotel staff. True, next morning the breakfast could be not so poor as it was.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 30, 2012

I was compelled to go to that hotel, as it was the only one with a room left during a busy week in Brussels.
The neighborhood is unsafe, and that is a fact. Also, it is very dirty, it looks nothing like the rest of beautiful Brussels.
The Hotel is in a very, very old building, reception is dirty, the guy at the reception is even dirtier. I was shown to my room, going through a disgusting corridor, with 3 walls either completely deprived of cement and paint, or hidden behind a curtain. The receptionist said the hotel was being renewed, but the absence of tools proved these ruins have been abandoned for some time.
The room: I have never been in a room that disgusting in my life. I slept over the cover wearing all my clothes, even wore a hat to cover my head. It was impossible to sleep under or over the bedsheets otherwise, they looked like they were not changed in a long time. I am skipping the comfort part, I remember my only concern was to make it through the night.
Next day shower: no soap bar, no shampoo, a very dirty towel, so I skipped it altogether. I was offered breakfast upon checkout, but I just ran away, so no comments on what the rest of the hotel looks like.
ALSO AND IMPORTANT: They cashed in the price of the night TWICE: I had made the booking online using the company credit card, and they never got the payment. I therefore had to pay again and on site using my credit card. I later found out that the payment through the company credit card was delayed and finally reached them a week later. I have been trying to get my money back for the past 6 months, they did bother to answer a couple of emails, but they just avoid getting back to me. Police is notified and working on that case as we speak, but i have probably spent much more than the price of the room for the many phone calls.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled on business
6  Thank gr8paco
Reviewed December 9, 2011

Firstly, make sure you know how to get here without asking around. Reason being, the hotel is located in a rather dodgy turkish quarters and not really very popular. We kept getting wrong directions from asking around, and ended up walking with our 70L packs uphill for about 2km.
To get to the hotel, take tram no. 55 from Gare du Nord (Noordstation) to the Verboekhoven roundabout, and it's about a 7min walk from there. 2 other tram stops that are within walking distance are Pavillon and Prin. Elisabeth.

The hotel lobby is just a reception area with some seats to wait.
Being used to staying in hostels, this hotel was actually quite reasonable for us. We booked a triple room but ended up getting what looked like a double room with an extra bed wedged under the TV, but being used to staying in hostels this was actually quite acceptable for us, based on the price we were paying (50EUR a night for a triple room). The toilet was relatively clean, and so was the shower, only weird thing was that they were both separated and the shower had no door, just a shower curtain separating you from the rest of the people in the room. Beds are relatively ok for what you're paying for, with clean sheets and towels provided. There's no elevator in the hotel, so you'll need to walk up a rather narrow staircase. There was a musty smell in the corridor and room but it didn't really bother me.

As mentioned before, the location of the hotel is rather dodgy so if your group is women travelling alone, you might not want to go back too late after a night in the city. The walk to the hotel from the nearest tram station will have you pass by a local tavern of sorts. Another tip worth mentioning, make sure you secure your belongings especially at night, because my backpack almost got picked while on the escalator at the Gare Du Nord.

One good thing I can mention about this area, however, is that if you were to walk from the hotel to Noordstation (where you can board the metro into the city), you will pass by a lot of turkish/middle eastern shops selling relatively cheap clothes, food and fruits. If you are a muslim, you will have no problem at all finding Halal food here. Nothing touristy about this area at all, so depending on what sort of traveller you are, it's a hit or miss kind of thing.

Overall, I found the place satisfactory for its' price, and relatively convenient as public transportation lines were not too far away. Getting to the city takes less than 30mins so it's okay for just a place to crash for the night.

Would I recommend this place? Well if you don't really want to spend too much on a room in the city, or are sick of sharing dorm room with 20 other people, I would say yes, as long as you don't set your expectations too high.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 20, 2011

We booked this hotel through tripsta, it is without doubt the worst hotel we have ever in our life stayed in. Filthy, stained sheet, dirty filthy bathroom, the bedroom smelt like a sewer, the staff were very intimidating to women, why these booking agents are still classing it as a hotel is beyond me. There should be some way of compensating people for the filth of this hotel and the booking agent concerned should take some of the blame. We left after one hour.

Room Tip: Impossible, all rooms disgusting
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
7  Thank zzzbee
Reviewed June 20, 2011

All hotels in Brussels below 200 EUR were unavailable, so I ended in this nightmere... Dirty, unfriendly, avoid it.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business