“Crashpad”

Wellness Apart Hotel
Ranked #4 of 8 Hotels in Schaerbeek
Reviewed May 12, 2013 via mobile

I stayed for three weeks while working in Brussels. I took a studio option with a small kitchen.

Everything was fine, and it was cheaper than most of the alternatives in Brussels.

The location's a bit dodgy, it's not the heart of the red light district but it's close enough. It seems to be a mostly turkish area so there are plenty of fast food options and a vibrancy that's not found elsewhere. The hotel is half-way up a pretty steep hill and is a 10-minute walk from the metro or the gare du nord.
The room itself was nice enough, the bedroom was clean and the bed was fine. The bathroom was clean but a little wear and tear has set in, and the showerhead is mounted in such a way that it is impossible not to spray water all over. The kitchen consists of a sink, 2 hobs and a kettle so I expect culinary masterpieces are out of the question.
There are a few small things like the lack of a laundry - a laundrette is just down the street, considerably cheaper but inconvenient.
There's no kitchenwear when you arrive, has to be requested from reception.
Overall:
I liked the place but not enough to go back, and am glad to have left. I guess that says it all.

• Stayed: April 2013
2  Thank MattJLeach

Reviewed February 23, 2013

Well what can I say.
Stayed here for 3 nights during February 2013.
Not what I was expecting at all. NO parking facikities - except on main street 2 euros per hour maximum of 2 hours only. NOT a very nice area - very male orientated. Apartment very big but lacked comfort and freshness. checked with guy on reception that we had a NON smoking room was told ALL rooms were none smoking. I found cigarette ash in the living area - testamant that the cleaning was not all it cracked up to be! Room was quite smelly with nicotine and the butts had been thrown from the window onto the flat room at the rear of the hotel.

Internet VERY slow and you would sometimes loose connection - guy on reception who did not speak much English had no suggestions as to what was wrong with it! Damp and mould by the windows - watch out for that if your are asthmatic! Kitchen did not have ANY cooking utensils, bowls, cutlery at all. I was staying at this hotel on my own during the day and did not feel safe at all. I was glad to check out. Lamp in bedroom did not work.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Boadicea22
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I went to Wellness Apart Hotel in January 2013 and I was not amazed by this place. It was not what I expected.

First of all, the Customer service was kind of OK but not professional. When I arrived at the hotel, the guy at the reception was not even there. He was out for a bit and the other guy that was available did not know what to do so he asked us to wait. The guy at the reception was very nice but not professional. Second of all, the room was OK. There was a mini kitchen, the bathroom was huge and the room also. The room was very cold; heating system was strange and not functioning very well. Also, the room was furnished with very old appliances (TV, fridge, tables, couch, etc.) old design, windows old school - not properly isolated therefore cold air could enter the room. We were freezing! Also, the room had a bad smell !

Internet Service/WI-FI: VERY POOR/for the amount we paid the Internet did not work very well/very poor signal/ I had to go to the reception to get their free WI-FI signal properly. In other words, there was no WI-FI service since it wasn’t working as mentioned before we book the hotel.

Facilities: The good side of this “Apart Hotel” is the facilities. I really enjoyed them…there is a HUGE gym with a lot of nice modern sport appliances. Furthermore, they also have a STEAM and SAUNA, which is great and handy (especially in Winter).

Location: Another advantage of this hotel is its location. Near to the hotel we can find a lot of small shops such as: grocery stores (open late night), restaurants (kebab, sandwiches, etc.), clothing, jewelry stores, etc. It is near to the Gare du Nord, which is perfect for people who travel a lot, connection to the airport, Eurolines (for people who travels with bus around Europe). It is also near the Brussels Downtown. You can walk instead of taking the metro/bus/ or tram to reach the city center. It is approximately 10 minutes of walking.

Overall, I still recommend this hotel to singles or young couples…it’s not a place for families with kids! People who are mostly keen on the hotel’s facilities; this would be a good choice. Other then that, this “hotel apart” is not what it states.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed December 10, 2012

This apart hotel is not bad for its price; however when I got there the elevator hasn't worked for three days and I was put on the 6th floor. The problem is the location, I almost got robbed when walking to gare du nord. Lots of prostitutes and drug dealers in the neighborhood.

Room Tip: If you have some money, stay some place else.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank SeanBsb
Reviewed June 5, 2012

Due to some terrible votes, I really hesitated before arriving at the hotel but all my worries have gone
as soon as I stepped in at the hotel..

Well, where should I start. This is an apart hotel and I stayed 2 nights at a studio (nr 33)

The room was very clean and tidy, the bedroom had a double bed and large cupboard with hangers. The living room had a leather set with extra table..The tv had astra and hotbird satellite channels. The kitchen has a microwave, washer machine, kettle, cups, forks and knives for 2 people..Next to the kettle, tea, coffee and even hot chocolate bags..
The bathroom has a large sink with hot water anytime...
My room was also cleaned the second day, that was a surprise to me as well.

So, you see everything was almost perfect..but What about the downside..

Well, during daytime I guess the elevator is reserved for cleaning staff..I didnot have the chance
to hop in before evening..

They have wireless internet connections at reception and at floors 2,4 and 6.Since I stayed at third floor, the signal was very weak which allowed me a 2 day off of the cyber world:)
But also found out that the wired internet was also available at the rooms if you have patch cable.

And last point is that some might complain about the neighborhood since it is close to gare du nord, a female might not feel comfortable walking alone after it is dark but I did not feel any distress or danger at all..

To sum up, since the price I paid was just 50 euros a night (thanks to booking.com) and I know the hotels nearby due to frequent visit, I can definitely stay again at this hotel for reasonable price.

Room Tip: first or second floor would be best for wifi and when elevator is off..
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank haksent
Reviewed May 17, 2012

at short notice finding somewhere reasonably priced in Brussels can be difficult so my choices were limited.

the room itself was fine. cleanish with the exception that the fridge smelt like something had died in it. towels and bedding were all clean. Staff were freindly and helpful. so far so good given that i was only there for one night.

getting there however was an interetsing journey. I arrived at G D Nord station at about 22:00 and even though i am a fiarly streetwise person I have to say walking to the hotel wearing a business suit and carrying a laptop case made me a bit uneasy. The location is slap bang next to the main red light district and if you are uncomfortable with this sort of thing then probably best booking elsewhere.

Not much choice of places to get food nearby that were obvious but the kebab shop just over the road did do a really good kofte sandwich for 5 euros.

ti summerise the hotel itself was OK .. not luxurious but then I wasnt paying luxury prices and for one night was perfectly OK. If i had been staying longer the food and kitchen thing would have been an issue. Location wise.. it sucked tbh.

I would stay here again.. but only if alternative accomodation wasnt available.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2012

I chose this hotel as I had been working through europe for 7 weeks and wanted a hotel with a gym.

So...The gym was very good and as part of the hotel, access was free. I was very impressed with this.

The apartment....where do I start? :os

When I first arrived in the apartment, I couldn't believe how much space and facilities there were; a decent sized living room with cable TV, a kitchen area, a decent bedroom, and a nice bathroom.

However; it was only as the time went on, the problems started creaping out of the wood work.

First of all; the central heating didn't work. I called reception, and they sent someone up to repair it. Then I went into the bathroom. The shower was dirty; not just a bit of dirt, it clearly had not been cleaned properly in months. The towels were stained and ripped. I went down to reception to have them changed. During this time; I started to develope a soar throat due to the apartment suffering from damp. Unfortunately, before seeing all of this, I had booked a second night, without seeing these problems.

Then it came to bed time. I pulled down the quilt to find that the bed sheets were covered in hairs and stains. I called reception again, and they sent some new sheets up.

In the morning I told them all of this and told them that I had another 4 nights in Brussels and that if my apartment was clean, I would book the remaining nights. When I returned in the evening, it was still as bad as it was the first night. I ended up leaving and booking into the 4 start Eurostars Montgomery hotel, which was not only 100% better, but €30 per night cheaper.

The apartments have potential, but lazy owners who only want the money. Such a shame

Room Tip: Don't stay at this hotel. Try the Eurostars Montgomery
  • Stayed: February 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Shawn G
Also consider these accommodations in or near Schaerbeek
Hotel BLOOM!
#3 of 8 in Schaerbeek
Condo Gardens Brussels
Condo Gardens Brussels
#1 of 5 in Schaerbeek

Been to Wellness Apart Hotel? Share your experiences!