“No-frills hotel in good location”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Hotel Derby

Hotel Derby
Ranked #8 of 9 Etterbeek B&B and Inns
Dovje, Slovenia
“No-frills hotel in good location”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2014 via mobile

I stayed in Derby hotel for one night in april 2014. Mainly due to the fact that all hotels in the vicinity were full (EU district), or had incrediblly high prices. I payed 139 eur, which is very high for a bit run down hotel. I didnt read any of the reviews before today, maybe i wouldnt even book the hotel because of the reviews.

The good. Location. If you are on business (or private) Merode is great. Metro station is just downstairs. To the EC HQ its just one station or a nice stroll in the park. Centre is a bit further away, but again on the same, relatively fast, metro line. Tram takes you all the way to the train station (gare du midi), though it is slow and its better to use the metro. There are some nice bars around. A view from the room is great. Staff was friendly.

Actually my room (22, 4th floor, street facing) was a good size room, just fine for a night or two. A double bed.

Not so good. In april (it was not really hot, maybe 18c outside) the room felt really hot with stuffy air and wasnt able to sleep without window open. If you do that its really noise outside, as Merode is a quite a big junction. Some could be really bothered, i wasnt. Still, i prefer this to an AC.

Room and its furniture was a mix of old and relatively new, somebody tried to update it. Still, the walls (white wallpapers!) were dirty and the whole room package looked outdated and not matching. Bed was ok, though firm hard. I had a good night sleep, and no bedbugs bothered me. Apart from stains on the carpet and walls, room was clean. Bedsheets were also clean.

Bathroom is small and it has probably seen better times. Cannot say that it was dirty, but it was certainly stained and there was mold and cracks in the shower

Lcd tv had also english channels and wifi worked flawlesly.

There is a small elevator and it was working. Helpful when going up 4 floors.

Breakfast was ok, self service - a bit limited choice, but inline with 2 stars hotel. And orange juice (as stated contrary by some) was included.

To sum it up. Its a no frills, budget hotel. Looks better from outside than inside. Not a romantic getaway, but certainly fair to spend a night or two in the city. Room is outdated, but again it is in my opinion not as bad as other say. Its a simple bed in a good location. With some additional cleaning of bathroom, changing of carpets and wallpapers (yes, they are dirty - a simple paint would do) it would be a very decent 2 star hotel. However, i do have a problem with price paid, and currently it certainly isnt worth 139 eur. Could be a nice place to stay if (when?) renovated.

I would give it 2.5 or 3 stars for a 2 star hotel. However, due to the price paid i downgraded my mark.

Would i stay again? Actually yes, especially if the price is fairer.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank matevzh

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Polish first
Bakersfield
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

I've stayed at some very basic hotels in small, run-down rooms. I have simple needs and I'm not picky, so when I say this is bad, you can trust me. First of all, the room layout is absurd. You literally cannot get from one side of the room to the other without walking on the bed or the table because the bed and the table are touching each other. The windowsill is overrun with aggressive pigeons. The bathroom is horrid, as if furnished with materials found at a garbage dump which were subsequently glued together. The sink didn't drain. I could see the innerworkings of the toilet because the lid didn't cover it all. The bed was hard as a rock and I definitely got bitten by...something in the night. The room, the hotel, and especially the elevator were extremely claustrophobic and stuffy.

At that point, who cares if they bring breakfast to your room!? But even that left something to be desired. The food was acceptable, but housekeeping wasn't very organized because they would ask if we were done with breakfast 3 minutes after it arrived. What perhaps disturbed me the most is that it was so noisy in the hotel, everything creaked and echoed, so that I had the feeling housekeeping was trying to come into my room every five minutes because someone was probably opening up a door three floors above us.

To reiterate, don't let the fact that it's cheap and right by the metro cloud your judgment. The quality of the hotel, unless you're used to living on the street, will certainly affect your trip negatively. You'd better believe I'm not going to trust my partner to book hotels for us in the future...

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank t g

Travelers are raving about these Etterbeek hotels

Prague, Czech Republic
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 8, 2013

I have visited this hotel for the second time during business trip in September 2013. But this second experience was terrible night mare. Bed bugs bit me on face, neck and hands. My recommendation is to step aside room number 18. My reservation has been done via Booking.com that is why I gave the note on my story on Booking.com account and received an apology. I hope that my experience helps to avoid a spoilt trip.

Room Tip: Avoid room No 18.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 2, 2013

New ownership when we were there in August this year. This hotel will hopefully be upgraded in the near future it was pretty basic but clean and friendly. Hanif was the receptionist and couldn't have been more helpful. The new owner was also friendly and helpful. We had problems with visas and couldn't go on to our country of destination and Hanif worked with us. Our train was then cancelled and we returned to the Derby without any problems. We were welcomed back with open arms. When we made a side trip they kept our bags while we were away - no charges! He helped us with information on subway and trams and trains. Thank you for everything and we would return if we go to Brussels again.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front street felt as though the trams would come into the room at any time. However th...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
USA
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2013

This hotel is not someplace to take your girlfriend if you're wanting to impress her, but if you need a place to stay for the night, with no particular frills, and a low-cost clean room, I would say that room #3 should do the trick. You're not going to get a more basic hotel; this is not a place to go hang out, but rather to sleep. But the guy at the reception was so nice (Brazilian!) that I can't help but put in a good word! Bed was comfortable and the duvet was nice and perfectly clean white cotton.

Room Tip: Room number 3 was okay. A bit of street noise, but that's what comes with city life, suppose. T...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

Good central location (Metro Merode), very basic room.
When arriving in the evening, we were told that late checkout would be free of charge by a friendly receptionist. The next morning, another receptionist said "the previous receptionist was mistaken". Late checkout would cost 50€ extra.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Pardubice, Czech Republic
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2013

I visited this hotel last year in June. I spent there two nights. The location is great - close to metro station and EU institution. The condition of hotel is elder. The rooms are tidy and the furniture is useful. But please don't expect any luxury! This hotel is good just for sleeping and nothing more. I think that I am undemanding guest. If you are the same, you can book the room in this hotel.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Etterbeek
Aloft Brussels Schuman Hotel
Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman
Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman
#86 of 199 in Brussels
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
Sofitel Brussels Europe
Sofitel Brussels Europe
#5 of 199 in Brussels
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,710 reviews

Been to Hotel Derby? Share your experiences!