“Not worth it, no matter what you pay”

BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Hotel Brussels
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Etterbeek
“Not worth it, no matter what you pay”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 29, 2006

I stayed at the BW Park Hotel this August on a business trip to Brussels. I was pretty upset when I heard that the inviting company booked rooms at this place because I've been there before and I did not like it at all.

The same on this trip: total disappointment!
The lobby is pretty small, which makes it look cozy and home, but that is all I can say on the positive side.

The room was located on the 5th floor, small, dark, a bit smelly and poorly equipped.
The bathroom only had a shower and a plastic sink, the overall design was old-fashioned and cheap.
The bed was around 3ft wide. The entire room was probably 7ft wide. Not too much space for that much money.

The tv set was smaller than my laptop screen, so I decided to watch some dvds on my laptop instead.

The breakfast "English breakfast buffet" was included in the price.
But it was poor, too. Small selection of bread, no fresh fruits, no nothing. I had to wait 10 minutes for my coffee, so I was almost done with the breakfast

They charged me 150 Euros, which is a joke for that mess. At Le meridien, you pay 170 and you get all the amenities from a "real" 4 star hotel.

Well, if you need a cheap place to stay over the weekend, it might be ok, but for business traveller, who need some relaxation, better stay away.

• Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank mariusbaa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Edmonton, Alberta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 21, 2006

I have stayed here twice, each time in the summer and in a single room. The single rooms tend to be available on hotel websites at a good rate, in my experience single rooms are a bit rare. Even though I had been very happy on a previous stay, I found some of the other reviews a bit scary so went with some anticipation. However, as on my other stay, the location on the backside facing the nice back yard, and with the window open, allowed a very pleasant sleep in the summer, and air conditioning was not needed. The breakfast was very good, although I do agree with those who noted the lack of evident willingness to refill teapots, etc. on the part of staff.

The single room was actually very large compared to many doubles I have stayed in, the only small part being the bed, which was however quite comfortable. My only small issue was the drain plug on the bath, whose holder came detached.

As others have mentioned, the location is not central but easily reached on the metro. If you are a museum hound this is in an excellent location near a museum complex, but much of the action in Brussels is downtown, so one would need a metro pass and can't stay out too late.

On a previous trip this year I found that this property was never listed at a reasonable rate (so did not stay there); during the busy spring season they must be getting rack rate, which is rather high. But in summer, I found my stay a great deal and would certainly stay there again.

• Liked — suburban/park atmosphere
  • Stayed July 2006, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Moscow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2006

Nice hotel and good location near the underground station and the park. The breakfast was OK, internet didn’t work. The hotel needs some repair. A bit overpriced.

• Stayed May 2006, traveled on business
A TripAdvisor Member
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2006

This hotel suffers from incredibly bad service and bad attitude towards the guest.

1. Although it was -8 degrees outside, there was no hot water to shower with. The reception staff did not care about the problem and blamed the guests for not knowing how to open the water. After 50 complaints they admitted the hotel's old water system is bad.
2. Terrible breakfast and they are 2 lazy to refresh the food or serve coffee/tea.
3. The staff is very unfriendly and does not like to help the guest with area information. They even gave us WRONG information several times until we understood from other guests that they do this intentionally.
4. There is no laudnry service on the weekend although they do not write this anywhere.
5. Internet connection stopped working and they refused to do anything to fix it.
6. the beds are old, small and extremely uncomfortable
7. Housekeeping enters your room without knocking EVEN when the do not disturb sign is on the door.
8. They really give the impression that the guest is unwanted.

TERRIBLE HOTEL - DO NOT STAY HERE!!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
7 Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Travelers are raving about these Etterbeek hotels

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2006

My stay at the BW Parkhotel was wonderful, and I had a much better experience than the other reviewers.

To begin, I would absolutely stay here again. The hotel is not so easy to find without a map, but once you know where it is, it is easy to get to (a few stops on the subway) and in a nice location. There is a nice big park across the street, it's in a quiet residential area, and there are some nice restaurants around the hotel.

I had a room on the top floor facing the garden. The room was clean and nice in every way. The breakfast buffet was really good. The staff was nice, and the hotel seemed secure (I didn't have problems with the locks as another reviewer had).

The price was good, and I think it's a great bargain.

• Stayed September 2005
2 Thank nysingle
London, England
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2005

I stayed at this hotel for 3 nights. It was a nice clean hotel, very quiet, a 2 minute walk from the metro, and across from a lovely park in the EU district.

I had a single room on the ground floor with double doors opening to the garden. At first I thought the garden thing was lovely, but then I noticed the handle and lock were in sad shape (as a woman travelling alone, I found this concerning). I asked to be moved to another room but was told the hotel was full up (though I didn't see more than 15 people total in the 3 days). I was also told I worried to much and that there had never been a safety problem.

When settling in for the night, I also noticed that the chain on my main door was broken. This proved to be a problem when housekeeping walked in the next morning, despite the "do not disturb" sign.

Breakfast was included in the room rate and was quite good, although if you want the "full english", be sure you get up early otherwise there is no hot food left. The breakfast room was lovely and overlooked a garden.

The room was quite nicely decorated, the bed comfortable, and the room quite large for a single. There was also a fullsized bathtub which was lovely. The staff were polite, though don't confuse this with friendly. The desk was often not "manned" during the day and guests let themselves into the hotel with their room key.

The hotel seemed to cater to business men and although I had a nice stay, I would not stay there again. Two doors that don't lock properly and my concerns not being taken seriously are more than enough for me to say I won't be back.

• Stayed December 2005
2 Thank oohmercyme
Washington, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2005

This was my second stay at this Best Western Premier hotel which faces Park Cinquentenaire in Brussels. It is near to the Metro Station "Merode" and represents very good value for money when booked for 50 EUR per night through expedia.

The single rooms are quite comfortable, the hotel is decorated very finely, hence its Premier status. Yet it is only 3 stars, this I would say is because it lacks air conditioning - which is quite essential during summer months.

The breakfast is included in the rate, and consists of some warm items, fresh bread, cheese, ham, yoghurts etc. On this occassion staying in the hotel I made the mistake of ordering room service. After 1 hour had passed, I called reception to ask where my meal was. It turns out that the meals are not prepared in the hotel, but a nearby restaurant and then delivered to the hotel. So, even though the receptionist was apologetic, it seemed forever for the meal to arrive.

I have stayed in other Premier Best Western hotels and have found them superior to the Parkhotel. At the same time this hotel does have a certain charm, a huge garden at the back is very pleasant and the location is not bad if you are prepared to use the metro.

I'm not sure that I would return again so quickly, as there can be many bargains in Brussels for hotels during the summer.

• Stayed August 2005, traveled on business
1 Thank Paul W
Also consider these accommodations in or near Etterbeek
Aloft Brussels Schuman Hotel
#1 of 6 in Anderlecht
Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman
Holiday Inn Brussels Schuman
#85 of 199 in Brussels

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Park Hotel Brussels? Share your experiences!