“Very disappointing”

Cuisines: Belgian, French, Bar, Gastropub
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed October 14, 2012

Sunday evening, only diners in the restaurant and my wifes birthday - surely a safe bet!!? Not to be.......

Overall the food was average but one of the starters (potatoe charlotte with shell fish, which was priced at 18 Euros), was terrible. It was a small portion to start with, but most of it was left by my wife as it was literally tasteless and undercooked.
Service was also terrible, which given that we were the only people dining, there is no excuse.

What made matters worse was that when the waiter came to collect the starter plates, he failed to even ask if we had enjoyed the starters, which is normal practice and particularly suprising giving that 75% of the starter was left uneaten.

Not being given the chance to comment about the poor starter was quite annoying but to wait 25 mins before the waiter even attended the table (to bring the mains) was poor. It goes without saying that our wine glasses were empty at this point and had been for 20 mintues.
When we explained the situation he didn't even flinch although did acknowledge not asking how things were - no apology but said he would sort things. We thought he might have gone into the kitchen to speak to the chef, but he just returned to the bar.

The mains were ok, if a little on the cool side but certainly not worth 27E.

Suffice to say we asked for the bill - the bill did not include the poor starter. The waiter did ask at this point for more feedback to give to the chef (who he informed us was not working tonight but would be in the following evening - begs the question who was cooking the food?!).
We paid up and left and went straight over the square to purchase some excellent frites, a bottle of port and some cheese to try and complete our evening and make up for a poor and disappointing experience - which it did.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We had a few beers and a delicious salad from the salad trolley -made right at your table. You can specify whatever you want -lovely lovely salad!

Reviewed August 24, 2012

Good food, attentive but not annoying waiter.Generously trying to understand my attempt at the french language.

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Good menu choice, food well presented and tasted very good. Good choice of wines at a good price. The staff were also very attentive.

Reviewed July 18, 2012

What do you do late in the evening, tired and hungry? Well in my case I went out for some restaurant hunting using Tripadvisor of course. I walked around for maybe 15 minutes in the area and it was not easy to find any good restaurants – most of the restaurants around the square looked like cheap pizza places and I was not at all interested in either of them. My interest was however awakened by the restaurant BE Cocktails & Fine Food which has the same entrance as the excellent Sofitel hotel. The ambience was really good and I immediately felt that this was right for me. I got a table very fast and could sit down to start to enjoy the evening. The service was a bit slow in the beginning and they could be a little faster especially when they see that the menu is closed – I was actually starting to get a bit irritated but I am also a very impatient person – at last I got eye contact with them and then everything started to go in the right direction. I had veal and that was just excellent cooked, with that I had mashed potatoes and it could have been a bit warmer to be honest but really nothing to complain about. The wine was also excellent. I also got bread with two different types of butter with different flavour and that was really good. The service was actually excellent in the end and I could only say the following - don't wonder arround and look for a suitable restaurant instead take the shortcut to this place and enjoy your evening. I know where to go when I am in Brussels the next time.