“Great stay, great value”

Aloft Brussels Schuman Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Etterbeek
New York City, New York
“Great stay, great value”
Reviewed September 27, 2012

When I walked into my hotel room, I was wowed. The room is huge, pretty, with a big picture window. Granted, the window didn't look out onto Grand Place, but it was still very nice.

The hotel is a great value (though Brussels hotels are reasonable in general). It's 2 blocks off the Schumann metro stop, but it's not too obvious which way to go the first time you stick your head out of the subway. There's a nice bakery (Paul's, a popular chain) around the corner as well as several convenience stores within a block (not surprisingly, the convenience stores are way cheaper than the hotel pantry). Most nearby restaurants are at Place Jordan, about a 5-minute walk. There's a very nice park (Leopold) across the street that's open late and seems to be safe. It takes about 20 minutes to get to Grand Place.

The wifi worked well. There are several English-language channels on the tv. Everything was clean and new. The shower was wimpy.

It's a good bang for the buck, and I would stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank nysingle
coenvan, General Manager at Aloft Brussels Schuman Hotel, responded to this review, October 1, 2012
Hi nysingle,

Convincing a NY-er is not easy they say but it seems we managed well! How nice to read you had such a good time with us and enjoyed the design, space, facilities, services and local surroundings. Brussels can be pretty nice if you know where to go - our front desk talents are perfectly capable of recommending some of the town's hot spots so don't hesitate!

Whenever your travels bring you back to the european Capital, do stay with us again.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 27, 2012

The Aloft hotel was exactly what we were looking for - modern and comfortable yet very affordable (we paid £90 for two nights). The double bed was huge and extremely comfortable, the room was large, everything was very clean. There are also nice little touches like complentary bottles of water, free wifi and an empty fridge so you can keep your drinks cold. The sound-proofing is also very good - we couldn't hear any noises from the corridor or the rooms next door. Although the hotel is not right in the centre the metro station is less than 5 minute walk away and it's only 4 stops to the centre. There are also a lot of bars and restaurants around the area of the hotel, especially Place Jourdan and a bit further down around Place Eugene Flagey. There is a small Carrefour opposite the hotel which is handy for drinks and snacks.

Hi Hannah G,

Thanks very much for your review - highly appreciated! Your title, calling Brussels an expensive city stands out though as coming from somebody who lives in London! :-) This city should be a bargain for you!

We are delighted to read you enjoyed the design, amenities and facilities offered as well as the local area with bars, restaurants, parks etc within only a couple of minutes walking distance.

Whenever your travels bring you back to Brussels, make sure to come visit us again!

Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 25, 2012

My wife and I spent a weekend in Brussels and there were plenty of reasonably-priced hotels around but this one was an almost-ridiculous bargain. We paid £41 a night on Expedia and for that we were able to stay at a modern, chic hotel within a few minutes' walk of a Metro station (Schuman) which meant we could be in the city centre in about 7-8 minutes.
The double room we stayed in was very spacious, clean and stylish, with a big flat-screen TV, free Wifi, superb power-shower etc. Downstairs there was a fair-priced, self-service cafe area for breakfast, lunch, snacks etc, plus a bar which seemed to be quite a focal point in that part of the city. The bar also contained a free-to-use pool table, which we used while we were there.
Staff were friendly and efficient, and able to converse comfortably in the native French or Flemish, along with English and no doubt many other languages too. We arrived early in the day and were allowed to check-in at 10.30am, then when we checked out a bit late at 12.30pm, there was no fuss, no harrassment. It was all very relaxed.
There were two parks in the near vicinity which provided pleasant outdoor surroundings - especially one up the hill which was in the grounds of one of the city's historical landmark buildings.
All in all, this hotel was smart, central enough for our purposes, well-run and an absolute bargain. If we choose to go back to Brussels, we would gladly stay there again.

Hi CFoy76,

Easy breezy is our motto and this certainly seemed to have come across during your stay with us. We are glad to hear you had such a great time with us, enjoying not only our facilities but also the Leopold and Cinquantenaire parks in our vicinity.

You indeed got a great bargain - certain weekend we are able to do so... others not :-)
Do make sure to come back soon again, we would love to have you!

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 24, 2012

I was only in Brussels for one night and needed a place to crash for the evening. I was wrapping up a 5 month Round the World trip and just wanted a place where I'd be comfortable and could get a good nights rest. I ended up choosing this property and was not disappointed. My room was clean and spacious, nicely decorated and well equipped with a comfy bed and convenient electronics. I couldn't have been happier. THe front desk staff was helpful in getting me to a nice part of town for dinner and with directions to get to the train station for my train to Paris the next day. I was traveling by myself but felt totally comfortable in the lobby bar area, having a beer and just people watching. If all of the Aloft properties are similar, I think I am going to become a big fan!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
coenvan, General Manager at Aloft Brussels Schuman Hotel, responded to this review, September 25, 2012
Hi ndh_ama,

That is great to hear. Thanks for choosing us to conclude your round the world trip - that's a special moment!

Nice to read you made use of Wxyz, our cocktail bar with regular DJ nights, a pool table, Wii game room, etc. It often has a great buzz with many local expats that are out for a drink with colleagues. A great way to meet people!

We do hope you will come back and visit us again at some point - you never know!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 23, 2012

Hotel is not right in the center of action in the city but relatively convenient via metro or walk (if you don't mind a 15 to 20 walk). Area is pretty dead at night but my wife and I found solace at Maison Antoine (famous place for Belgium fries in Brussels) only 5 mins stroll away. The bed was comfortable and the room was clean and modern. We had quiet nights of sleep there and would consider going back again.

Hi Travel_Bug_Will,

Great comments! Indeed, we are only 3 metro stops away from the old city center. So basically you should be able to stand on the Grand Place within 15 minutes of departing the hotel.

However you rightfully indicated that walking is also an option and actually quite worth a try. It will take you passed the EU parliament, Royal Palace, Sablon etc - all things you miss out on when taking the underground.

Anyways, I'm sure you had an awesome time. Do come back and stay again!

NY
Reviewed September 22, 2012

I booked for one night at the hotel and it took almost 20 mins to check 3 of us in. I did not mind the wait because the guy was very helpful and answered all our questions. Although there were two other employes around him, none attend other hotel guests. I finally got to the room and found the safe wouldn't open. I read what the safe said to do and did it three times. It didn't work. I called the front desk and they said in a couple of minutes they will send someone up. I waited 20 mins and no one came. I then went to the bathroom and the toliet seat was stained with urine. I just didn't bother asking the front desk to do anything because it would probably woudln't come to me so I cleaned it myself. I then went to close the curtains so I can try to get some sleep. Well the curtains didn't close all the way. The holes on the curtains were to small for the poles. I had to stand on a chair and force the curtains to close. I closed as much as I could but still had a gap on top open which so happens shines the light right where one would put their head. I finally went to sleep and woke up 2.5 hrs later. I called again for the safe and they told me the same thing. In a couple of minutes they will send someone up. After about 5 minutes they called again saying that the guy who does the safes doesn't have some documents or something to the affect, but it will take 1hr to get to me. I just gave up on that. Told the guy just forget. I then went to shower and I found hair by the shower. I was totally grossed out again. I rinsed the shower as best I could and took a quick shower. I am just glad it was just for one night.

Great staff for information but when it comes to services they didn't impress me. Breakfast is ok the bar is ok but if I can avoid staying here I would.

Location it is in a good place. The metro is not to far and there are some sights walking distance. Resturants didn't eat around there so I can't give my opinion on that.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Hi fuzzyshrek,

Unfortunately it seems we missed the boat on a number of occasions during your stay. We are sad to hear this and apologize for what happened. There seems to have been a general lack of urgency when you reported small and easy to fix malfunctions. We really do appreciate you sharing this with us so we can learn and improve for future times. Please know that this is in no way indicative of what you may expect from us.

Although I understand that your stay was less than favorable and have indicated not wanting to stay with us again, I do hope we can change your mind. We would love to look after you during a future stay and in order to do so I invite you to make a booking directly via my office so we can assure the right attention is given. My direct email address is coen.vanniersen@alofthotels.com

Have an easy breezy day!

Reviewed September 21, 2012

We stayed here for two nights in September and we were very happy with our stay.

Friendly staff, clean hotel and room. The room felt trendy, chic but also suitable for business people too.

Located very near the centre to which we walked to on a few occasions but you can also take the metro (3-4 stops to the centre).

Hi CountGeek,

Aloft indeed caters for both business and leasure guests. Our design is what we would call urban/cool - very vibrant in our public spaces and a little warmer and cosier in the lofts. Glad you liked it!

Have an easy breezy day!

Hotel Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Etterbeek
Thon Hotel EU
Sofitel Brussels Europe
Sofitel Brussels Europe
#5 of 198 in Brussels
NH Collection Brussels Centre

Been to Aloft Brussels Schuman Hotel? Share your experiences!