“Excellent Hotel Near the Schuman Metro Stop and EU complex”

Aloft Brussels Schuman Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Etterbeek
Georgetown, Colorado
“Excellent Hotel Near the Schuman Metro Stop and EU complex”
Reviewed March 24, 2012

We travel extensively and try and stay in TA recommended hotels/specialty lodging facilities. The Aloft fit the bill on all acounts. The room was very nice, staff extremely helpful, and the prices were very reasonable. The only area that we found wanting centered on the convienent store approach for breakfast/food offerings. We traditionally like a more personal delivery of breakfast in an environment that offers a communal. family setting that fosters conversation with other travelers. The eating area felt more clinical.

We will stay here again due to the reasons noted above and the fact that there are reasonable places to run nearby and the Schuman metro stop is a couple of blocks away. Just make sure to find the street Froisant right after exiting the metro so you don't head in the wrong direction like I mistakenly did. Once on Froisant just walk downhill to Rue Felliard and turn right (you can turn right the street right before but there is really no street sign but the Winery is a couple of doors down that street). If coming from BRU just catch the 12 or 21 bus for 3.50 euros each way and it takes about 25 minutes depending on traffic (once you get off the bus you need to cross the street to find Froisant so you don't head in the wrong direction). The history museum and the surrounding park is three blocks from the hotel and Parc Leopold is just across the street which offers a wonderful walk after dinner.

Room Tip: The loft room 706 was very nice and the view of the EU Parliment building was enjoyable even though...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Paul S
Coennie, General Manager at Aloft Brussels Schuman Hotel, responded to this review, April 2, 2012
Hi psgeorockclimber,

Wow! How nice to see that such a well seasoned traveller as yourself took the time to write such an extensive review about us. It's even better to read that you really have enjoyed yourself with us and recommend us as a place to stay.

Naturally we gladly take your comments on the food offering on board. We are continuing to make changes moving forward and as this is a returning point of feedback it is certainly something we are looking at.

We really hope you will choose us again, next time your travels bring you to Brussels.
In the meantime, have an easy breezy day!

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed March 24, 2012

This hotel is great! The staff are very helpful and friendly, and the rooms are futuristic. If you arrive by car, try to get a spot in front by the curb otherwise their car garage is 25 euro. Rooms are very clean, breakfast is expensive, but fairly good

• Stayed March 2012
Hi Kdub3,

Thanks for writing these comments about us. You're right - parking in front of the hotel on the Rue Justus Lipsius is free every day after 6 PM and all day Saturday and Sunday! The cost of our breakfast is either 6 or 10 euros which we believe is very reasonable seen that most of our competitors charge a minimum of 25 euros. A package of 10 euros gives you a selection of any 5 items offered. Almost all the time this fits the average persons breakfast needs. If you want anything extra you pay per items. Seems a fair deal, no?

Oveall it seems you really enjoyed your time with us. I do hope this means you will be back with us soon.

Have a great day!

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 21, 2012

Stayed here for one night in March 2012. Arrived late on a Thursday night to be greeted by small group of 'young things' standing, smoking and drinking outside the main entrance while some of their friends sat in a car playing loud music. Wasn't a great first impression.

Loud music theme continued as our party entered the hotel itself. Turns out that Thursday is happy hour and disco in the hotel. Looked like lots of people were having loads of fun, but not really something I want to be in the midst of on a business trip.

For the second time in the space of a few weeks (see my review of CitizenM Hotel in Glasgow), I came face to face with touch-screen, fully-automated check-in/check-out. However, what I didn't understand is why it was necessary to have a member of staff touching the screen for me and writing my room number on a card. Couldn't that member of staff just waited behind the reception desk and checked me in like any other hotel? Odd!

Loft-style rooms in the hotel are comfortable and large. Good connectivity and choice of TV. Also good that the room offers tea/coffee making facilities. Bed was comfortable, but I was woken quite early by noise coming from the road beneath my window (I think the rubbish was being collected).

The dining facilities at the hotel are pretty poor. It is essentially a 'grab and go' type of set-up. One of our party ate a pizza on the Thursday night and wasn't impressed - basically a chilled pizza stuck into a microwave for a few minutes. I had breakfast in the morning, but the choice was pretty limited (cold cuts, cheese, fruit, cereal, etc). The pricing for breakfast is also a bit unusual. You can have all you want for €25; 5 items for €10 or 3 items for €6. I went for the latter, but beware that this also includes your hot drink. So, basically paid €6 for a small bread roll with some cured chicken, a banana and a cup of tea. I'd advise going out to one of the nearby cafes or bars to eat.

Check-out was quick and staff were friendly throughout (not always the case in Brussels).

Had the choice to stay here on a follow-up trip a few days later, but chose not to.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Hi Chasse13,

Oh boy.... it seems you arrived right at the moment we had one of our larger events going on. It's normally good fun to have such a lively bar scene with a DJ, our Wii game room, pool table and a nice outdoor terrace if weather permits. Naturally a young crowd causing a lot of disturbance outside on the street through loud music in their cars, etc are not part of this. We'll certainly make sure to keep a close eye on this in the future!

We are currently doing extensive tests on our check-in/out kiosks to see if we can further enhance them. The idea is to make them quicker, more reliable and add features to ensure all elements of your stay are secured in a very consistent way. We're all very excited about this and hence might explain the reason why our talent could not stay off the buttons that you were supposed to press. Eventually we hope that automizing this part of your stay with us will dramatically increase our level of service to you and be able to make the waiting lines for check-in/out that you have in every hotel something of the past. Bare with us whilst we continue to improve this service.

Regarding your comments on our food offering I would be very interested to read what your thoughts are about your experience in Citizen M. We think the actual product offering is pretty much the same and even better in most cases though it somehow seems the perceived value was different. Perhaps you can send me a direct note to let me know furter details (coen.vanniersen@alofthotels.com)?

I do hope you will allow us the pleasure of having you stay with us soon again. Most things that went wrong were incidents and I'd hate to loose you because of them. I would appreciate it if you would contact me for a future stay directly so I can ensure we do our utmost best to show you what we are capable of.

Have an easy breezy day!

San Clemente, California
Reviewed March 19, 2012

This is an amazing hotel that, I think, anyone would be happy to stay. Ended up booking this place last minute while in the Atlanta airport while waiting for a flight to Paris.
It was a great deal, about 68 Euro a night? I think. :)
The reviews looked pretty good so i took the chance to head there. I should mention that my French is "n'est pas si bon" and i was traveling alone, i do this sometimes.
I was very pleasantly rewarded with my choice. The hotel is super "swanky" and definitely hip with their hostel style atmosphere downstairs with pool tables and a bar.
Their internet was superb and I think I had one of the best showers of my life in the bar.
Some of their staff were a little standoffish, but the others more than made up for their lack of hospitality.
Now, this place is not exactly by the city center, and if you take the metro to here it can be fairly shady. Also, i had the unfortunate experience of a cabbie taking advantage of me one of the nights and leaving me in the wrong area about a half mile away.
Thankfully, a really nice Belgian guy dropped me off in the hotel at about 5 in the morning.
This is the difference between what i have been told is where true Belgian pride comes into play and that sometimes they do not like the French or Moroccans who no live there do to tourists. I unfortunately had two bad experiences with such individuals during this trip, the cabbie being the second.
But Francois. the you guy joined me for some drinks and freshly baked pizza downstairs in the common area until about 7 in the morning.
I would definitely recommend this hotel, but would recommend it for a younger crowd with a few people in their party, otherwise stick to the main sections of the Brussels Downtown area to save on the expensive taxi rides.
Safe travels.

Room Tip: When booking, you want the street facing the main street. All the others face buildings or alleys.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Shadokai
Hi Shadokai,

I presume that coming home at 5 AM means you had a great night out in the Capital :-)
The hotel is indeed not located in the old city center, though it's not far out either. 30 mins by foot should bring you right onto the grand place and otherwise 3 direct metro stops from Maelbeek Station take you to the Central Station which is steps away from all the happenings.

I'm glad you really enjoyed the hotel, it's public spaces, facilities and rooms. We enjoy good design, technology and a buzzing social space so if you don't have big plans you only have to take the elevator down to the lobby for a buzzy atmosphere.

We hope you will be with us soon again. In the meantime, have an easy breezy day!

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 19, 2012

It's a clean, modern, functional hotel in the business district. I would say better suited to business travellers rather than couples or friends. We regularly got taxis to the bars, restaurants or shops but with hindsight we would have been better closer to the bars, restaurants, shops etc... You can't fault how clean, modern and good value this hotel is though. The 'average' rating is more that is was not really suited to my needs.

Room Tip: I have read here that you shouldn't stay on the 1st floor due to noise. The club does get quite...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cheryl G
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 19, 2012

A friend and I stayed at this hotel, and it was very nice. The hotel itself is very modern, and has young people working there who were all very friendly and accommodating. The room was very nice, the bed was comfortable and the shower was amazing. There was also free wifi which was nice. The location left something to be desired, but there were a few cute shops and eateries in the area, including a great french fry place. Didn't use public transport, but the city is small enough to walk most places on a nice day.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Olivia129
Warsaw, Poland
Reviewed March 19, 2012

Really enjoyed my weekend break at the Aloft Schuman. Staff are friendly and will help you plan your sightseeing. Nice bar area on the ground floor with pool table and Nintendo Wii. Rooms are clean and functional. Definately worth the money.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank fnk1234
Also consider these accommodations in or near Etterbeek
Made in Louise
NH Collection Brussels Centre
Radisson RED Brussels
Radisson RED Brussels
#3 of 16 in Ixelles

Been to Aloft Brussels Schuman Hotel? Share your experiences!