“Another opinion”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Anderlecht
Woodemere, NY
“Another opinion”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2012

We stayed there for 4 nights. It is true that the location of the hotel does not look pleasant; however, our party of 4 walked back to the hotel from Gare du Midi at 11 pm, with no problem.
The decor is modern; the front desk is great. WiFi is ifffy. Just treat Brussels like NY; keep your eyes open.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank rapp1021

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (46)
Paris
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

Ok, Brussels is a creepy place (or so I feel), but choosing to place a clearly upmarket hotel, and a very good one, in a somewhat rundown neighborhood (although one apparently on the rise) is a really funny choice. This said, the rooms were large and comfortable, clean, well equipped, so I had quite a good time. Incidentally the couple in the room above mine were clearly having the time if their life, at least judging from her moans. I felt tempted to clap at the end and send a congratulatory note :-) The location is perfect for an early train from Gare du Midi (my case) but I would not suggest you go out for a drink in the evening...

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
2 Thank AlfredoLP
Washington DC, District of Columbia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

The hotel is ok, at best.. There is definitely a sense of style in the hotel with the black and white decor and the artsy touches. But not worth the money. The location is not as bad as other reviews have suggested. We stayed in a suite. The rooms are big and the beds are comfortable. But it was the little things that really detracted from the hotel. The breakfast was tasty, but did not have many options. The first day we were offered coffee by a waitress. The second day, I asked for coffee and was directed to pour it myself from a large thermos. Wireless internet was iffy, at best. More often than not, I couldn't connect. When I did, the speed was very disappointing. I complained about the lack of connectivity and was told that they "were working on it" and should have something resolved in a day or two. Mini-bar was very overpriced at 4 euros for any beverage, including water. No complimentary beverage was offered. Dry cleaning was 25 euros for one suit. The bathrooms had sliding glass doors that offered no privacy. The toilet had a sliding door that did not lock. Trendy, yes. Practical, no. Overall not worth the money.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Bruno S
Glasgow
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2012

Unlike other reviewers, I didn't feel particularly threatened in this unattractive neighbourhood of Brussels, but perhaps ignorance is bliss - I chose the hotel because it was near the Midi station for both overground and underground travel and had an excellent Tripadvisor rating. It is indeed an excellent hotel - the rooms are big, the beds extremely comfortable, and the efficent airconditioning practically silent; the open-air terrace on the 3rd floor is delightful and was a wonderful place to relax during our visit on a few very hot days. Those are the pros.

The cons are that the hotel is expensive and I was not made to feel like a valued customer by the staff who were, on our visit, remarkably inefficent. I specified a quiet room but we were allocated one at the front overlooking the road and, with most rooms ranged around a serene courtyard, I'm sure our request could have been better met; despite arriving after check-in time, our room wasn't ready and we were asked to wait "about 20 minutes" and invited to have a coffee "on the house". After an hour, we realised they'd forgotten all about us and when we rose to investigate were billed for the coffees by a barman who was unable to hide his irritation when we explained they were free. The next afternoon, after several hours walking in the hot sun, my husband decided to have a nap while I sought out some food at the bar which offered only a small selection of tapas or a limited room service menu. I chose a simple cold dish and asked for it to be served on the terrace, a request which was granted as a concession rather than a service. I waited a full 45 minutes for it to arrive and, despite containing my annoyance, was once again made to feel like a bit of a nuisance. No one reappeared to check if I wanted anything else, so I finally went down to the bar to pay for the meal and had to wait 10 minutes before getting the attention of a surly barman who handed me a bill which was incorrect. When I queried this, the barman refused to believe me, pressing me with the suggestion that maybe I'd had the items the night before when I was in the bar with "my companion". Perhaps there was something lost in translation, but, without my husband at my side, suddenly I was made to feel like a two-bit hustler on the make.

So, although I didn't feel the outside of the hotel was particularly threatening, I certainly didn't feel comfortable around most of the people running the inside! Shame really, because it spoiled what might otherwise have been a most pleasant few days. There's a lot about Brussels to like for a citybreak and Eurostar makes it very accessible..

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank travelangel_2006
, General Manager at Be Manos, responded to this review, June 7, 2012
First of all, we would like to thank you for your comments and experience in the Be Manos.
We are really sorry about the bad experience you had in our hotel and would like to apologize that we didn't reach all your expectations.
It's always interesting for the hotel professionnals to have a feedback of a guest, even if we would prefer a direct contact with the management to try to solve the problems during the stay.

Nevertheless, good or bad comments make an hotel move forward and correct any mistake it might have in a goal to always improve the quality and reach excellency. We will take in consideration all your comments about the bar service and we will adjust it .

Once again, we thank you for your time.

Anyway, we hope you will keep a good memory of your sunny days in Brussels
Best regards,

Jean-Pierre Miok
Manager
N. California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 21, 2012

Whether you like this hotel will come down to the location. I exited the Gare du Midi in Brussels and asked a man on the street for directions. He kindly showed me the way, looked at the camera around my neck, and advised me solemnly not to carry that camera around my neck after dark. There you have it. The location of the hotel does not make you feel comfortable, especially after dark.

The hotel itself is excellent. New, modern, spacious rooms, clean, quiet, good firm bed, excellent shower. A great place to get a comfortable night's sleep. The staff is very helpful and courteous.

The decor is a matter of individual taste. It is black & white, modern, with photo prints on walls and each door. For me a bit too much, but probably great for a 30-something.

The restaurant is so-so and overpriced, and with modern techno-beat music running in the background. Again, not my cup of tea, but some will love it.

The other thing to keep in mind about the location is that it is not very tourist-friendly, IMO. To get to the Gross Markt or museums requires a train ride and a minimum of 2 stops. The same holds for restaurants. There is nothing very good close by.

In the end, I am a bit torn by this place. On the plus side, once you are inside, it is a great place to relax and sleep. On the other hand, the location is both inconvenient and somewhat disquieting.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank W0nka
Strasbourg, France
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2012

The hotel is really boutique and design but in a good way!
The hotel however is not sleeping on its decor and the service there is really good! Always smiling and going your way.
The room are nicely designed, quiet and spacious.
Breakfast selection is good and dinner was fine.

The 2 downside would be the location as it is not located in the nicest and lively area and the WIFI access. This one was nearly inexistant in my room and it was out of order for some time during my stay.

But it's a really good hotel all together.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Muenster, Germany
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2012

This hotel is truly lovely. The rooms are very well equipped and beautifully decorated. Everything feels modern and well designed. Beds are very comfortable and the service is great. Unfortunately the location is well and truly awful, smack bang in the middle of one of Brussels' most dangerous areas. You cannot walk around here after dark (and even during the day it can be dangerous). No wonder the hotel provides a free pick up service from the central station (which is only a five minute walk away, so I think that's saying a lot). What a shame!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank Eugene T
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anderlecht
Made in Louise
Hotel Amigo
Hotel Amigo
#3 of 199 in Brussels
4.5 of 5 bubbles 2,237 reviews

Been to Be Manos? Share your experiences!