“Not v nice, but not bad either”
Review of Van Belle Hotel

Van Belle Hotel
Ranked #3 of 6 Hotels in Anderlecht
Reviewed May 27, 2013

As I know this hotel works since 1905 ... I did not expect high luxury .... and I was right.

Anyway, staff was great, not v far from city center.

I would not go there for a 2nd time, but it was a good experience, as I was there with a friend, so we were all day traveling and we just came back to the hotel for sleep.

PS: I was there in 2008

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 14, 2013

The Van Belle hotel is inexpensive (thus furniture old and could use new rugs) and clean with a good breakfast (not the best though). If you are tight on budget this will prove to work just fine. But beware that the neighbourhood is not nice and if not used to seeing different nationalities (imaging people from the Taken movie) this area may frighten you a bit (specially in the case of girls). However, I must point out that the metro is 5 blocks away and it takes to the center in matter of a few minutes. We've never really had any problem and we stayed 7 days. We would not like to stay again though because of the area.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Lucila_guerrero
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Our worst experience in our all live come from that hotel.
Very scared area my car has been scractch for no reason. The hotel is hold. People not friendly at all. Dont go there, you will loose confident in human quality of life.
I found nothing positive in the experience.
Nothing at all. By the way the owner really needs a shower.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank DanielVanBuiten
Reviewed April 17, 2013

The Van Belle is one of Brussels' oldest hotels, having been in operation since 1905. They have a photo on display taken in 1934 and apart from the removal of the kerbside gas pump outside its garage (which is where the front door is now) it looks very much the same! I say this as a slight warning: inside parts are full of narrow corridors with stairs in odd places. However if you are able bodied, that should be no problem, and you get to stay in a slightly more characterful hotel than some.

The room was clean but small; it had a separate toilet and shower room on either side of the entrance, as a novel way of fitting them into a constrained space. Plumbing was a little noisy, but lacked the bad odour in some of Brussels' older hotels. Breakfast was good, and included in the price, with a choice of four breads (no pastries, though), two eggs, cheese, processed meats (no ham), juice, coffee, yoghurt, etc. Fruit was very limited.

My main criticism was a short term issue: they are for next few months building an underground car park and this meant I was woken up (despite being on the top floor of my bit) by the noise of construction work at 7am. It's also annoying to have to pay extra for internet access, although not uncommon in Brussels.

Several people have commented on the neighbourhood, which is rather run down and a little edgy at night. I'd agree, but reasonably experienced and careful travellers should not find it a problem and inside the hotel it feels safe enough. If you want to see the real working Brussels, walk a couple of blocks North to the Canal de Charleroi, an area of abattoirs and very shady looking businesses exporting used cars to Africa. But don't go there by night! For a more touristic experience the Musee du Gueze (beer) is a very short walk away and offers a brewery visit like no others, anywhere in the world, as the beer relies on natural fermentation in open vats.

It's a short walk from Clemenceau metro station, and an easy walk from Midi/Sud for Eurostar, and a simple enough walk to get to the Grand Place if you know Brussels or have a decent map.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the front (Chussee de Mons/Bergense Steenweg) may be noisy, but rooms at the back are a...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank MKMapman
Reviewed March 27, 2013 via mobile

It's placed at 5-10 walking minutes from gare du midi. I came late at night, so I didn't asked for a shuttle Gare du Midi-Hotel.
(the only free shuttle route available)
The location of the hotel is probably in the backside of Brussels. The streets were pretty dirty in January 2013, big bags of garbage on the sidewalks and streets, dark streets. I found that very strange, for the capital of Europe.
Very many immigrants on the streets, most of them arabian people. Taxi drivers are arabian, store sellers are arabian, homeless people on midi rail station also look arabian or gipsies, and probably many other white immigrants, of different nationalities. At least on this side of Brussels, where hotel Van Belle is located.
However, the immigrants that I met (store sellers, drivers) were friendly and they communicated nice, even better than some belgian people.
I red before geting there that the streets are dangerous and loudy. At least in the winter, I felt no threat, no loud people, nothing.
Some dark streets looks spooky, but nothing strange happend to me or nearby.
But, you never know, those streets ARE a great place for thefts, so you never know, untill it happends.
Near Van Belle Hotel there are very many non-stop boutiques, where from you can buy snacks, sweets, drinks, hygiene products. There are also some nice fast foods and (not tested) little coffee-Bars (also opened at night).
Most of the people I met were arabian. Just like a fact, because they are easy to distinguish from caucasians.
These places (non-stop mini-markets and fast-foods) were very helpful, considering that Van Belle does not have a mini bar, and I got there late in the night.
Personal of Van Belle answered me on mail, confirming my reservation. It was not a 'standard' mail.
From outside, Van Belle keeps the historic design. However, half of the hotel was in reconstruction, refinishing, and also in construction of a Parking lot in the back of the hotel.
Van Belle hotel is very old, and the interior seems to be based on the original design. At the bar zone, there are very old pictures of the hotel at the begginigs. Old black and white pictures that makes the atmosphere very special. The hotel starters, owners, were a family, and it seems like today the same family owns the place.
Many people were guests here, lots of things happend, time passed, it's living history. I liked that.
Nice people at the reception of the hotel. Internet is free only at a computer mounted 2 meters away from the reception desk. For wireless connectivity, you pay 5 euros/day for the security password (code).
Some employers (cleaning, transportation, kitchen) were immigrants, judging by their strange languages.
Te hotel looks old, but Hey! It was in reconstruction, half of it, that means the owners are investing in this place. Probably the entire hotel will have a new clean face in a short time.
My room was in the old side of the hotel. The overall immpression is old. It is clean, but the elements in the room are old (furniture, wallpapers, tv).
The bathroom was clean, dotated with sope, shampoo, shower gel. Hair drier didn't work.
Sheets of the beds were clean, maybe some old spots that couldn't be removed in washing. But clean in general, for what you pay, for people that does not have confort and money as the biggest priority in their life. We are modern monkeys that eat and make escrements, so life is not perfect, is just beautiful.
The walls are thin, I guess, because I heard the TV from other room, and some noises. That didn't bother me, but depends of you and your hotel-neighbors.
The heating system worked fine.
The wakeup call worked, is free.
The breakfast (included in price) is very good and variate. It is a great breakfast in terms of foods and drinks, the tables room is in the hotel standards.
I would go there for an open-bar breakfast everyday :)
There is a secure bagadge room if you return the keys and you wanna hang out without lugadge. However, I don't know how really safe that is, because nobody checked to see how many bags I enter with, and with how many I get out. You know what I mean.
They offered me a free shuttle only to the Gare du Midi station, not to the airport. But that was ok. The trains are running just fine in Belgium.

Conclusion:
Van Belle is an avarage hotel, but with historic value. Personal is friendly, BREAKFAST is great!
Rooms are old but clean. Half of hotel in renovation + parking lot construction.
Walls are thin, no mini bar, no a/c, wifi 5 euros/day.
10 minutes away walking from Gare du Midi.
Some streets are dark, non-stop markets in the area.
It is cheap, and it has value for money.

• Stayed: January 2013
4  Thank ndrags
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I was picked up by a shuttle outside the Midi station, my boyfriend couldn’t believe they offered that service, but it’s true and very good and fast! The hotel is a little old and you can see that in the building and decoration, but the people running this place are really friendly and keep up the hotel well, the room was clean and even had a little soap, shampoo and shower cap in the bathroom.
The breakfast is the best! You should stay here just for it, the breakfast is what makes this place such a great value, eggs, bread, fruit, juices, sausages and bacon oh my! Anyways it was really good.
The hotel is situated in an ethnic neighborhood and that’s why snobby people feel it’s in an insecure place, but I walked around with my boyfriend and it look very alive, lots of places to eat and if you still are unsure there’s a shuttle that takes to the grand palace at night.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Karol A
Reviewed March 10, 2013 via mobile

I am a college student who is generally not very picky when staying in hostels. However, this place gave me something to complain about. Aside from the interiors inescapable laberynth design, the service was grumpy and unhelpful. We booked a 3 bed room and were placed in one with 2 yet still had to pay the full three person price. The room was poorly lit and not very nice. We ended up staying in brussels one more night but we were so disappointed in the hotel that we decided to take the trouble of relocating. I would definitely not recommend this place.

2  Thank Connor O
Also consider these accommodations in or near Anderlecht
Floris Ustel Midi
Floris Ustel Midi
#2 of 6 in Anderlecht
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
Hotel Queen Anne
Hotel Queen Anne
#102 of 199 in Brussels
Ibis Brussels Centre Gare Midi

Been to Van Belle Hotel? Share your experiences!