“Avoid Like the plague - I lost money because of this place”
Review of Floris Ustel Midi

Floris Ustel Midi
Ranked #2 of 6 Hotels in Anderlecht
Reviewed September 7, 2012

I purchased my stay through KGB, which was my mistake and I've made note never to trust them again. Starting from the cleaner, hoovering around us when we arrived to the tiny lift with dusty carpet covering the walls which left a weird taste in our mouths, to the the unlaid beds (literally the matress was leaned against the open window) to the flies hovering around the room, to the falling apart and roughly pieced together decor. To the dicitful woman at the desk who did not give me back my voucher and cashed it despite our refusal to stay there and failing to respond my emails regarding a refund.

Please note that you've been warned. Crooks!!!

Room Tip: Go somehwere else
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Ustel Midi, responded to this reviewResponded September 14, 2012

Dear Nuna,

it is with great astonishment that I went through your writings, needless to say it leaves me with a bad feeling. However I also feel sorry that you did not take up these matters to the management during your stay - and so far you have had no reply to your emails as I have not received any emails up till now....

May I kindly ask you to contact me directly at stephanie.croes@florishotels.com to discuss the matter further and find out what may have gone wrong.

Thank you for your understanding.
Best regards

There are newer reviews for Floris Ustel Midi

Reviewed August 30, 2012

I was terrified by the local area, my father has arthritis and we had to walk through groups of people who, if it's the same as London, look like they're about to kill you and I was scared that they were going to be able to do something to my dad. The room was mediocre. We were right next to a street fair which lasts until about 1am (what sort of parents take their children out to a funfair at 1am?). Of course the hotel can't do anything about it, but it was too hot to have the window closed and there was no air conditioning. The reception staff and people around the area are rude, with two idiots laughing when my dad was groaning from the arthritis whilst pulling a suitcase around. If I was better at French I would've told them where to stick it. The area was obviously a place where mass immigration occurs, not that there's a problem with it but it's like renting a room out in Lewisham. The hotel really needs to add air conditioning or something, and maybe soundproof the windows to block out the sound of the funfair. If I ever return to Belgium, I'm either going to Bruges or finding somewhere in the Grand Place.

Room Tip: Rooms which are away from the square are a lot darker, and you won't hear odd Muslim pop music e...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Ustel Midi, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2012

Dear Michael,

thank you for sharing your impressions about

a) the area
b) the people
c) the fun fair

It truly saddens me to read so many negative impressions about issues unrelated to the hotel.
Apparently Tripadvisor has become a place to express random opinions regardless whether they are related directly to the subject or not. Nevertheless I will - once again - confirm that Brussels is a metropolis city and as any metropolis city it is multicultural, I'm sorry if you experienced this as threathening and I'm also sorry that some people in Brussels made fun of your father, I can imagine that this was not a pleasant experience, but in all honesty you must admit that this could have happend anywhere!?

It leaves me with a bad feeling that the experiences outside the hotel reflected on your experiences within the hotel and I truly hope you will give us the chance to restore your faith one day.

Reviewed August 20, 2012

This hotel has one thing going for it - it is close to the station but having said that my wife would not leave the hotel in the evening - the local area is very rough, very rough indeed.

Uninterested reception staff who were most unhelpful. Room appalling. Breakfast acceptable for a budget hotel but that was not what I was expecting - I imagined a higher standard - my mistake.

This hotel is best avoided whatever your criteria.

Room Tip: I cannot imagine any one room would be better than any other.
  • Stayed: March 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Ustel Midi, responded to this reviewResponded August 22, 2012

Dear guest,

I am sorry to hear about your disappointment with our services. As you know, our hotel is located next to the famous Midi station which happen to be in a multicultural neighborhood that actually reflects well the diversity of the city of Brussels. But I don't think it is such an unsafe area as your comment suggests it.

I hope you won't generalize on our hotel only having experienced one of our rooms. But please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience encountered and if our staff seemed uninterested to you, I am sure this wasn't their intention at all.

We will do our best to make sure that our standard reaches your expectations.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 12, 2012

The hotel was basic and my wife spotted litter and dirty cups etc around the garden area and the lounge area.

When we checked into our room there were dirty towels on the bathroom floor from the previous occupants. There was a street fairground out side the hotel and our room overlooked this and the noise was very loud. The hotel staircases (carpets & wallpaper etc) needed refurbishment.

The hotel was situated in somewhat rundown area. We were warned that our car may not be safe parked in the street outside! The are was frequented by beggars and apparently homeless sleeping on the benches outside the hotel.

We had booked for 2 nights but we checked out and didn't stay and went to Bruges instead.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
Stephanie C, Guest Relations Manager at Floris Ustel Midi, responded to this reviewResponded August 13, 2012

Dear Sir,

I felt really sorry reading your comments about our services. Therefore I would like to apologize for the room not being cleaned before your arrival which is definitely not the way we are used to treat our guests.

The funfair outside of the hotel is held each year in Brussels sometime at the end of the summer and might be a little bit noisy. Unfortunately, it isn't up to our hotel to do anything against it.

Also what our staff meant about the surrounding area is that like in every major city in the world, leaving a foreign car out in a public space is never safe enough as it draws people's attention.

I hope that we can restore your trust in our hotel collection and I wish to offer you my sincere apologies.

Yours faithfully,

Reviewed August 11, 2012

This hotel the worst ive stayed in in brussels,outof ten I give it three not even a bar The surrounding area is rough full of drunks on the street and unsafe espeacilly for women and young kids the room was to put it at its best rubbish my garden shed was bigger a broken toilet tv didnt work window couldnt open in all you would expect this in a third world country and a lot cheaper it should be one star hotel and breakfast well my dogs have better stay clear of this hotel. believe me

Room Tip: no tips all bad at all what i seen the much the same
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank marvin17

Dear Marvin,

First of all I would like to thank you for sharing your experiences. We feel truly sad reading about your negative experience within our walls and I would like to apologize on behalf of all the staff members.
However, the surrounding area isn't as bad as you describe it and people living here aren't hostile.

Please, know that we have taken all precautions in order to avoid such unpleasant situations in the future. After spending some holidays in Barcelona, Manuel is back at work and already fixing the broken toilet! ;-)

Kind regards,

A TripAdvisor Member
Fontana, California, USA
Reviewed August 8, 2012

The hotel wasn't bad. The area it is in though is. My friend and I felt unsafe whenever we walked through the neighborhood. But the hotel itself was sufficient. Had everything you needed and the room was nice. Only complaints I have about the hotel was that we got a room without an A/C and I asked the reception desk for late check out and she said she gave us the late check out but the next day I got a wake up call saying we didn't have late check out. Very disappointing since it had been a long day/night and we were hoping to sleep in a bit longer. But everything else was okay. Room was cleaned daily and those such matters. I just wouldn't stay there again because of the area.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com

Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experience in our hotel Floris Ustel. We would like to thank you for your positive reviews on the cleanliness of our facilities.

We would like to apologies though for the misunderstanding you experienced with the late check-out you requested and didn't get in the end.

I hope that we'll have the pleasure to welcome you again within our walls.

Best regards,

Reviewed August 8, 2012

Lack of cleanliness in the rooms, an old breathless bathroom and with some problems, noise from the outside because of summer diversions park, and a poor, miserable breakfast. The hotel staff is distant, even cold to his clients.
On the other hand, the room was large with the hotel being located near the metro station and main train station (Brussel Zuid)

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family

Dear guest,

We are constantly trying to improve our services and it is thanks to you, our clients, that we are able to do so. If our staff members seemed rude to you, please be sure that it wasn't their intention to be behaving that way with you.

However I am glad that you enjoyed the location of our hotel and the size of the rooms.

We would be pleased to welcome again.

Best regards,

Also consider these accommodations in or near Anderlecht
Van Belle Hotel
hotel prince de liege
hotel prince de liege
#5 of 6 in Anderlecht
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
Hotel Queen Anne
Hotel Queen Anne
#102 of 198 in Brussels

Been to Floris Ustel Midi? Share your experiences!