All reviewshead waiterlake viewdining roomswimming poolrecommend this hotelgreat positionhotel compoundhotel poolbase for visitingcharming hotelthird floorlovely poolstayed here for a weekrelaxing atmospherehalf boardwest sidepasta
Reviewed July 17, 2018 via mobile

We had a wonderful stay at this authentic hotel. Very friendly people, a good breakfast, nice room and a cool vibe. Nicely situated at the harbor, easy to take the carferry to Torri. A good place to rent a boat nearby...
We would certainly like to come back

Stayed: July 2018, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2018 via mobile

Booked into the hotel on the 16th May having driven from near St Moritz. No one at the front desk when we arrived so had to go looking for them. Finally found the guy who ran the place. There was no welcome to the hotel just asked our names and requested our passports. Didn’t expect him to be our best friend but a smile would not have gone astray.
The rooms are very small but that’s ok as you don’t spend too much time there any way BUT as one other reviewer pointed out they have the hardest beads and pillows that I have ever experienced anywhere in the world and I have travelled a lot. Got up every morning with a back ache. The pool and gardens are lovely,breakfast fine and service staff friendly but that’s where it stops. Oh and if you require anything such as an iron you can go get it yourself . Such a shame as it is in a lovely spot and with better front desk staff and a bit of a make over it could be so much better.

Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mimmie26
Reviewed May 17, 2018

The hotel itself is half a 1926 building and a more modern addition from the 1960s which adds perfectly. I had a room in the modern annex, the room was clean and comfortable, with a small balcony and a beautiful lakeview. wifi worked only moderate, the breakfast was superb. The entire Hotel staff was very friendly and courteous.

Room Tip: lakeview room with a balcony
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled solo
Reviewed May 7, 2018

on 3/22/18 I reserved a room and on 5/2/18 received an e-mail that they cancelled my reservation for 6/4/18. I COULD NOT BELIEVE IT (only 4 weeks from my stay there) so I called the hotel & was told that because no one cancelled yet then they cancelled us because they overbooked AND THAT THEY OVERBOOK ON PURPOSE in case people cancel (so they have a back up). Oh, wonderful.... meanwhile I made that reservation in advance and really wanted to stay there. That has NEVER happened to us before anywhere else and is TERRIBLE. We have a big trip planned from Siena to Cinque Terre to Milan to Lake Como to Lake Garda & Florence (& are driving from destination to destination so it is very important that we have our hotel reservations as planned). I was really disappointed and that is a very poor way to do business. If they don't want people to cancel then they should require advance payment as a non cancellable room and not give false hopes to others who think that they have a room, but are on stand by (in case some one cancels). OR we should be told that we don't really have a room reserved for us for sure instead of being provided with a reservation confirmation. We had only one night reserved and maybe they got a better request for a 4 night stay.... That is very bad and they should be ashamed of themselves for running their business this way. The travel date of May 2018 I selected on this review is wrong, but I could not yet select June 2018 since we are still in the month of May.

Room Tip: I would not know since THEY cancelled me against my wishes with a confirmed reservation.
  • Stayed: May 2018, traveled as a couple
1  Thank fcsd2018
Reviewed October 3, 2017

This is a nice hotel in a great position, especially for the ferries which are right on it'd doorstep. There are pleasant walks to be had and it provides a good base for visiting the area.

We had a 'superior' room which I thought hardly deserved the title. It was clean, had good storage and reasonably comfortable beds. It had a fridge, but no mini bar, however that didn't bother me as we usually go out and stock that ourselves. It did have a lake view. We were supplied with a complimentary bottle of wine, but no corkscrew. The room only had one socket and when we had two 'phones and two Kindles, that proved to be bit of a pain. We were positioned on the second floor immediately above the main entrance, which meant that there were quite a lot of comings and goings.

When we went to dinner the menu provided no vegetarian alternatives, despite my having warned them twice prior to our arrival. However the head waiter soon sorted this out and we had choices for the rest of our stay. He and the two girls (who worked like trojans every night we stayed) were very friendly and helpful, which is more than can be said for the guy front of house. He was never actually rude, but made us feel that we were interfering with his cigarette breaks (which were long and often).

If you do stay, I recommend taking the little 'train' that parks outside and visit the paper museum. It makes an interesting, cheap and enjoyable trip up into the hills. If you use the ferries, check the timetables carefully (we ended up in Salo for five hours, rather the the quick visit we'd intended). On reflection we'd have been better to have drive - but hindsight is a wonderful thing.

When we were eventually handed the bill (by Mr Grumpytrousers) I was more than a little surprised to see that we'd been charged for parking. My fault I know for not checking, but we've never experienced that in Italy before.

In conclusion I would say that the good points overruled the disappointing and we did have a nice holiday, but we probably wouldn't go back.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room first.
  • Stayed: October 2017, traveled as a couple