“Not bad for a weekend retreat.”
Review of Bissell's Hideaway

Bissell's Hideaway
Kitchener
“Not bad for a weekend retreat.”
Reviewed July 30, 2013

This campground is kind of off the beaten path. When you are going you will feel like you are driving out to the middle of nowhere. It is clean and they empty the garbages frequently. The waterpark is really only one slide and a huge pool with a landing for kids to jump off from. There is also a splash pad although to me, it was geared more for the little ones (my kids are 8 and 5 and they didn't really go in it). There were not nearly enough umpbrellas and chairs for all the parents. We got there early and secured a spot only to be practically sat on by latecomers wanting under the umbrellas. I found the people to be somewhat rude. They lacked common sense to stay back from other families and give personal space! The park itself was ok, The sites for permanent campers seemed REALLY disorganized and placed wherever-making some of the roads extremely narrow. The tent area was nice but again, very little organization. I saw people trying to figure out exactly where their site was. They need site numbers more clearly defined. We were in the middle section-site number 1 and I was really happy with my location/site. It was within walking distance to everything you would need. Washrooms were not above average but not below either. We were there during a really bad rainstorm with thunder/lightning but afterwards I did notice they cleaned up the twigs etc from the sites. They have lots of activities at the rec hall and dances on Saturday with a really good DJ. There were no rules for the park. We were not given a list of them when we checked in??? I was a little worried about the lack of security too (nobody trekking around the park late at night to check for rowdies), Luckily, we had no annoying drunk partiers around. I thought they overcharged for the sites for just a glorified pool rather than "waterpark" but all in all we enjoyed ourselves and I think my kids really had fun.
If you go with little ones, you may want to bring life jackets. There are lifeguards but it is a huge pool and you may feel more at ease if they are wearing one.

One other thing to mention if the owners read these comments. I felt it was a little unfair to have the girls in the office sitting in the sweltering heat. Clearly there was no air conditioning for them, and when the heat outside hits what feels like 35 C I am sure that office is more like 40 C. i think air conditioning is in order for your staff-especially if you want them to be happy at their jobs!

Room Tip: Sites 1-9 are pull-thru with a concrete pad, firepit, hydro and sewer. Get to the pool when it open...

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

We (three adults and two kids 8 and 2 yr.) were renting a chalet last week (July 21-27). We thought it would be a little be pricey, but they have a good discount system plus we bought it in advance, so we ended up paying 1200$ for the week. The house is a brand new. It has two bathrooms, air conditioner, gas stove, outdoor BBQ, nice variety of dishes. The maintenance was also very good. When our toilet was clogged, they came right away to clean it. The chalet is locating in a reasonable walking distance from everything. However if you travel with kids you might consider taking their bikes.

They have kids activities in the morning and afternoon. In the morning they do crafts under the supervision. Nothing very special, but it makes your kids busy for an hour. In the afternoon they have different shows to come such as reptiles zoo, mad science. And these guys know how to entertain kids.

They don't have a natural beach. They have two little ponds. One of them has pedal boats and another one is just a pond. People spend time beside the pool, which is quite big and has deep and shallow parts. My husband told that he felt too much chlorine in the water. I am not that sensitive, for me it was fine. If you are not very lazy you can drive for 30 minutes to Erie lake where they have public sand beaches for free. We did it ones.

In general there are so many things to do, so we were not able to try everything. In addition to that, the close distance to Niagara Falls (20 minutes) make us travel there a lot. We spent in the resort two full days, but if we would not be so motivated going out for vine testing, Marineland etc. we would sure stay in the resort all week. It is a very good place to be, especially with kids.

Room Tip: We rented a chalet, and we think it is a best option.
Orangeville, Canada
Reviewed July 29, 2013

Hello, we (2 adults along with our 10 and 12 year old daughters) stayed at Bissell's from July 23 - 26. We all had a good time.

The staff was great, especially the guy with the yellow Bruins hat that cuts the grass and fixed our neighbour's septic drain on the site....funny and accomodating guy!

Our site was ample size for our tent trailer and van to park.....the site was ready upon our check in and the parking area was close to level so it made set up easy. The gravel in the site is very sharp and pokes through our mat at the door of the trailer, ouch. Our site backed onto the woods and we had a great firefly show at night.

I recommend bringing bicycles to Bissell's as the kids like to go for a ride around the sites or up to the washroom and play ground or over by the fishing pond.

The washrooms were clean and the showers were good too with hooks for your clothes and towel.....you do have to pay $1 to use but the timer/water lasted the entire shower and did not run out of hot water. Small price to pay for a nice hot shower in a clean stall.

The pool water is kind of cold as it is spring fed water.....maybe adding a solar heating system or painting the bottom of the pool a darker blue would attract the sunlight and it would help make it more comfortable.....don't get me wrong the pool water is not unbearable but it is a little cool for sure. Maybe some more lounge chairs could be considered as ones they do have get claimed early even if not in use for hours.

According to my daughters, the pool slide is almost flat in a couple sections and makes for a sloooooow ride downt to the bottom. Maybe it could be adjusted a little?

I was told upon check in that we must buy our firewood from the park.....I did as asked but it was terrible stuff ($10 a bag.....none of the bag of wood was dried (no cracks in the ends of the wood) it smoked like crazy and didn't take off without a lot of kindling to keep it going. The next day, I bought wood down the road that was excellent quality and half the price for a much larger bag. I figured it was local wood so it was safe to bring in to the park. I suggest if buying the wood at the park is a must (which I'm fine with but, please make sure it is well seasoned for a nice clean and crackling buring fire.

I didn't find the snack bar prices were bad at all, in fact the ice was reasonable at $3 per bag, The freezer could be adjusted to be colder as the ice seemed to melt quickly in our cooler. We all liked the ice cream from the the snack bar too.

They large picnic area is a great spot to play bocce ball, we had a great time in that area.

Overall your family will have a very good time at Bissell's.....a few improvements would be a bonus but overall it is definitely worth staying there!

1 Thank Greg M
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Just returned July 27, 2013

Pros: Cabins are very clean! Nice deck, bbq and fire pit. We did have the basics, i.e. utensil, cups, toilet paper, pillows. Staff were very nice.

Cons: The biggest con for us (2 a, 2c) was the pool. When people tell you it's cold...they mean COLD. We are not a family of wimps, the kids love to swim...BUT. My husband went in once, I made myself go in a few times, and the kids did their best to make a few attempts. But even after we forced ourselves to go in (thinking we'd feel warm), we all stood perfectly still...lol...deathly afraid to move in case we froze.

Also, everything closes up at 8pm. Lucky for us, we were in a cabin, and my daughter had brought her tv and laptop. It sounds nuts to go 'camping' and bring electronics, but I swear after the fire, the roasted marshmallows and some drinks, there's not much for 4 people to do...

All in all, we probably won't return and as you can see it's mostly because of the pool. If you can't swim all day, then there's really no point in going to Bissell.

P.S. The zip-line is not over the water...it's off to one side, it's about 3 city blocks long and truthfully, while it's not open yet...it looked boring.

Room Tip: If you'er going, you better choose a room with a TV...
3 Thank Sarah C
Bissellshideaway, Manager at Bissell's Hideaway, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
"Probably "is better than "definitely". Let's hope you will try us again. The pool was soup warm during the hot spell, but the past few nights were cold and dropped the temperature dramatically. Our pool cool's down quickly but it also rises in temperature quickly on hot days. We are looking into economical ways to heat the pool, and hopefully in the future this will not be an issue.

Thanks Ed
Reviewed July 26, 2013

Clean and quiet family camping. Lots of things to do including a very fun waterpark. My kids are 2 and 1, and they had a blast in the splash pad.

The little resteraunt on site was surprisingly delicious. The only real complaint is the prices of beverages and snacks (which is expected at camp grounds).

I recommend Bissell's to any family. Not a bad idea to bring bicycles.

• Stayed July 2013
Reviewed July 24, 2013

My family and I recently stayed in the Delux Cabin at Bissells Hideaway. I'm not a fan of camping but doing it this way was fantastic! You get the atmosphere of camping but being able to go to sleep with AC is excellent. Lots of things to do for kids and adults both in the park and ten minutes away at Niagara Falls. We didn't have to travel a great distance to get there but it felt like we were in a secluded park. I would recommend Bissells to anyone with a family. We definitely had a great time!

Cheers!

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Georgetown, Canada
Reviewed July 23, 2013

The four of us (kids 2 & 4) stayed in a Deluxe Cabin right at the waterpark. It was beautiful and clean. Addressing earlier Tripadvisor reviews - it had plenty of dishes and a flyswatter, although we didn't have any flies/bugs in our cabin. There were no steak or paring knives so you might want to bring those, plus a dish cloth/sponge. The queen bed in the separate bedroom was very comfy, the pull-out was just a thin mattress pad (okay for kids, but not me) and the bunks are actually quite small (crib mattress), so okay for young kids. The top bunk has a full rail, so it is safe for young ones. The day we arrived was very hot and the A/C did not flow well into the separate bedroom. The ceiling fan helped a wee bit, but it was certainly WAY more comfortable than a tent! A great option for "glampers" like us.

The waterpark was fabulous and clean. We went at the tail end of a hot spell, so the water was warm. After a huge storm the water did cool a bit, but was still nice - getting in wasn't a problem. We loved the giant pool and combi splash pad/wading pool (half a foot deep - nice to sit in while watching the kids). Although the park seemed full of campers, the waterpark was not too full, even on a weekend. There were even chairs/umbrellas available, but we pitched our own so that we could be closer to the water's edge.

We did see a lifeguard do one rescue of an overambitious swimmer! So they are attentive. I was happy that they didn't "over-do it". For instance floaties on kids are not allowed outside of the shallow end, but my 4yr old wanted to jump off the diving pier. She was allowed to do it with her floatie on which just made her whole trip. I expected that my 2yr old would get told to stop playing on the rope separating the shallow end since that is the typical useless thing that overzealous guards have done at other pools. But they let her have her harmless fun and averted a potential meltdown had I pulled her away from the rope. So it is nice that they focus on real safety concerns.

We also enjoyed trying the pedal boats, kids activities, the Saturday night dance party and a campfire in our yard (which included a picnic table and 4 chairs). $10 for firewood is just fine when it is convenient. We had a huge deck and a BBQ, but didn't use it. Had one dinner at the snack bar (greasy but yummy), and one dinner at the nearby Lazy Loon (very good!).

Next year we will stay longer as we had such a great time. Plus the more days you stay the larger the discount.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pelham
Capri Inn
Best Western Plus Rose City Suites
The Peninsula Inn
The Peninsula Inn
#15 of 129 in Niagara Falls

Been to Bissell's Hideaway? Share your experiences!