We stayed for 5 nights at Sinclairs. It is about 15 mins walk down to the beach (all up hill on the way back though) and has a good selection of budget restaraunts around.
This is backpackers style accomodation but also has some private rooms. The rooms are very basic and a bit run down, but on the whole it was reasonably clean compared to other backpackers. The room we stayed in was probably the best in the house, it was on the top floor with distant peep view of the sea. It was bright and had a tiny bathroom facility.
Unfortunately we experienced some fairly serious problems with the way our booking was managed - and the way we were treated over this left us wondering if this is something that happens here regularly, as the whole exchange with the manager felt a bit rehearsed. It rattled us enough to make our first ever review. The reservation was made by exchanging email with the owner, and as they charge a 4% credit card fee we agreed that we would pay in cash upon arival to avoid this extra charge. An administration error was made by the manager, and he charged our credit card. We had the cash so gave this and requested that the visa be credited as we had agreed to pay in cash. We were told this was not possible, and the manager refused to refund us the 4% visa fee. We were very surprised by this as it was a simple administration error made by Sinclairs that they should have corrected. However we were shocked and appalled when the manager
suddenly became very aggressive and threatened to 'check us out and throw our bags out on the street' unless we signed the visa slip for the full amount they had charged us, which apparantly could not be refunded by them.
We were astounded as this is really such a small amount - about $20, and felt we were well within our rights to request that back, as the error was not on our part.
We also have the following observations to list:
* The bus ride from the airport to Bondi Junction was around 1 hour, and that was around 2pm - 3pm.
* Sinclairs is not attended full time by onsite staff. If you arrive in the afternoon and are a bit late, there may not be anybody to check you in. There is a mobile telephone number on the locked front gate to call if this happens, but no phone to speak to anybody. You would have to walk down the road to find a pay phone or use a mobile.
* The rooms are not cleaned regularly - we stayed for 5 nights, during which time the room was not cleaned, nor did we receive fresh towels or linen.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Sinclairs Bondi offers budget accommodation in Sydney. We specialise in affordable accommodation and bed and breakfast within a 20 minute bus ride from the Sydney CBD, a short walk from the beach and shops and only 30 minutes from Sydney international airport.Sinclairs Bondi is ideally located with two beautifully maintained properties in Bondi Beach, Australia's most famous beach. Staying at Sinclairs Bondi allows you to visit all Sydney Tourist Attractions including the Sydney Harbour Bridge and The Opera House. We have a range of single, double, twin and family room accommodation in Sydney, with or without ensuites to suit your needs. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotwire and TripOnline SA so you can book your Sinclairs Bondi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Sinclairs Bondi Hotel Bondi