“Excellent, no problems at all!”
Review of Sinclairs Bondi

Sinclairs Bondi
Ranked #7 of 16 Specialty Lodging in Bondi
Reviewed March 2, 2008

We stayed at Sinclairs for a week in Novemeber 2007 and had no problems at all! We booked via the Sinclairs website with fast responses to any queries we had prior o our arrival which was pleasing.

We were 2 adults and our 4 yr old and we booked a room with a private bathroom which was perfect for our needs. The room was huge though the bathroom was small, no dramas. Breakfast was the basic cereal, fruit, toast, tea and coffee, but we didn't expect anything fancy, so again no dramas. There is a communal kitchen on each floor so you could prepare your own lunch or dinner but otherwise there are plenty of restuarants around and the walk to Bondi Beach was great though take my advise and get the bus back up the hill! The bus stop is a minute walk away with regular buses to the CBD and Bondi Beach if you decide not to walk. The other great thing was they had free wireless internet connection if you decide to bring a laptop.

We found the manager, Otto friendly and helpful and he gave us maps etc on arrival and gave us the rundown on what was expected from us in regards to washing our dishes if we cook a meal in the kitchen, etc. which was fine with us though many of the backpackers left the kitchen in a state!

Our decision to stay at Sinclairs was spurred by the price as many hotels in or near the CBD wanted 3 times the amount for the 3 of us for a week and in our minds that was ridiculous as we were there to see Sydney so were only after a place to sleep. I would recommend Sinclairs to anyone after a base near Bondi Beach while they tour all the great sites of Sydney.

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Sinclairs Bondi

Reviewed January 22, 2008

Oh how I wish I had read the Trip Advisor reviews before booking! I've learned my lesson.

I booked this place based on the web desription, which proved to be false in terms of location. It claims to be 10 minutes walk to Bondi Beach - it took us more than 20 minutes brisk walking in the heat along a pretty unpleasant road.

It also claims to be 15 minutes by bus to Sydney CBD - more like 30 minutes plus at a minimum - nearer 50 mins in rush hour.

We realised the discrepancy as soon as we arrived and found a more suitable place. But when I complained and asked for my deposit ($125) to be refunded due to misrepresentation, I was told where to go.

The person who 'greeted' us on arrival was also extremely unpleasant and discourteous. The gates were locked and I had to find my way in through a side entrance. I was made to feel as if I shouldn't be there and was causing trouble by arriving too early. When I asked for information I was spoken to as if I was stupid.

I didn't get to see the rooms because I decided not to stay there.

This all caused my children great distress after an overnight flight and myself a lot of hassle not to mention the stress of losing $125. It was a horrible first experience of Sydney.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family
3  Thank JayTripper66
Reviewed December 30, 2007

We booked in June for 3 nights stay here for New Years Eve 2007. We booked using a booking site that we have used many times and never with any problem.

We arrived to find the entrance gate locked and had to call the owner.
When he arrived, he said that he wasn't expecting any guests. I showed
him my confirmation email and proof of payment of deposit. He said he did not deal with booking site I used, and that we were not booked in to stay. And that the place was full (as we knew if would be for New Year which is why we booked in advance).

He phoned another hostel they have in the company but we weren't booked in there either. We phoned over 20 hostels and walked around the area but everywhere fully booked.

We had to drive home again and miss out on our only opportunity to be in Sydney for NYE.

The manager was very unhelpful and said he'd had the same situation the previous day.

Stay somewhere else - the place cannot be trusted!

• Stayed: December 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank tronski
Reviewed November 4, 2007

I've come come back from a 2 week holiday in sydney having stayed at Sinclairs. When we arrived after a 24 hour flight from London, the manager Otto would not even check us in or allow us to put our bagage in the room until we went to a bank and changed travellers cheques to pay for the room. Not having a clue where anything was let alone a bank or post office, we walked for 30 mins to find a bank! My aunt who is 70 cant walk for long but he wasnt concerned about this and wouldnt allow her to wait for us in the room. exausted from the walking so soon after coming off a flight, she had to stop at a bus stop and sit down while we went to find a bank!

When we finally got into our room, we couldnt believe how misleading the pics on the website had been. the room was tiny!! bathroom too small to swing a cat, bed linen which wasnt matching and horrible tiny old towels, one of which was was a 'spar' towel, obviously one they received free! the linen and towels were only changed once, we had to empty our own rubbish and take toilet roll from the shared bathroom as ours was never stocked up. The room wasnt never cleaned in the whole 2 weeks staying there. The 'dinning room' was awful, tiny cramped tabled all together in a row, not set out individually like on the pics. the utensils didnt look good enough to eat off and the breakfast in the morning was so horrible i went once and never again throughtout the holiday. Breakfast is supposed to be 7-9 however all the fruit, cheese, ham and cake is gone by about 7: 30 and so if you dont get down quickly enough then you've missed out because the manager does NOT refill anything! on one occasion a lad staying there came down at 7:20 and the fruit was all gone and he asked the manager to refill and he replied "if you dont get up early enough then tough, this is budget accomodation after all!!" shocking. more like a run down hostel. Oh and be prepared to wash up your utensils and plates, he doesnt do it for you!

On the last night we were moved into another room as he booked other guests into our room!!! this room was even worse than the first! it was so small!!! being right next to the pateo where guests sit at night time drinking and talking, i didnt sleep a wink as all the guests seemed to be backpackers!! they were up all night outside our room drinking and laughing extremely loudly. as management wasnt on site we werent even able to complain.

The only good thing about this place is location was good, 10 minute walk to bondi beach which is stunning and 5 min bus ride to bondi junction where you can then get a bus into the main city which takes about 20 mins. Also, at the entrance there are lots of brochures to take away with you when looking at what to do.

All in all, i woul only recommend this place to backpackers or students who dont mind the basics and bad management.

families or older guests...do not go here!

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled with family
2  Thank dmarleyting
Reviewed August 26, 2007

We arrived tired and exhausted by 24 hours continuous travelling from London. We recieved a courteous and warm welcome from the resident manager, Otto. He always made us feel at home with his polite and funny observations of life which added to the enjoyment of our holiday in Australia. The rooms were clean and unfussy as were the showers. Breakfast in the morning was self service although repetitive and basic, but fulfilled our needs. I would recommend this BandB as it was a fun place to stay as well as being clean and with excellent links to Bondi Beach, shops, whether local or at Bondi Junction and with good links by bus or even walking into the centre of town.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled with friends
Reviewed June 29, 2007

I stayed for two weeks and enjoyed my stay at the Sinclairs Bondi. Just what I needed!
The location is excellent as I could easily walk down to the Bondi Beach where there were plenty of restaurants and shops.
Best of all, the airport shuttle stops right in front of the house.
Overall great place, friendly and helpful staff and it was pleasant experience. Good value for money.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed March 5, 2007

We stayed for 5 nights at Sinclairs. It is about 15 mins walk down to the beach (all up hill on the way back though) and has a good selection of budget restaraunts around.

This is backpackers style accomodation but also has some private rooms. The rooms are very basic and a bit run down, but on the whole it was reasonably clean compared to other backpackers. The room we stayed in was probably the best in the house, it was on the top floor with distant peep view of the sea. It was bright and had a tiny bathroom facility.

Unfortunately we experienced some fairly serious problems with the way our booking was managed - and the way we were treated over this left us wondering if this is something that happens here regularly, as the whole exchange with the manager felt a bit rehearsed. It rattled us enough to make our first ever review. The reservation was made by exchanging email with the owner, and as they charge a 4% credit card fee we agreed that we would pay in cash upon arival to avoid this extra charge. An administration error was made by the manager, and he charged our credit card. We had the cash so gave this and requested that the visa be credited as we had agreed to pay in cash. We were told this was not possible, and the manager refused to refund us the 4% visa fee. We were very surprised by this as it was a simple administration error made by Sinclairs that they should have corrected. However we were shocked and appalled when the manager
suddenly became very aggressive and threatened to 'check us out and throw our bags out on the street' unless we signed the visa slip for the full amount they had charged us, which apparantly could not be refunded by them.

We were astounded as this is really such a small amount - about $20, and felt we were well within our rights to request that back, as the error was not on our part.

We also have the following observations to list:
* The bus ride from the airport to Bondi Junction was around 1 hour, and that was around 2pm - 3pm.
* Sinclairs is not attended full time by onsite staff. If you arrive in the afternoon and are a bit late, there may not be anybody to check you in. There is a mobile telephone number on the locked front gate to call if this happens, but no phone to speak to anybody. You would have to walk down the road to find a pay phone or use a mobile.
* The rooms are not cleaned regularly - we stayed for 5 nights, during which time the room was not cleaned, nor did we receive fresh towels or linen.

Stayed: February 2007