“Do NOT stay here!!!!!”

Bondi Shores
Ranked #15 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Bondi
“Do NOT stay here!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 24, 2012

I cannot say enough - do NOT stay in this hostel!!!! We booked in for 3 days over Christmas at an extortionate price for what we recieved. This was the only place left that we could find in Bondi over Christmas. Firstly, I was given a bed which genuinely felt like it could collapse at any second. I was on top bunk and there was no railing keeping me in the bed. Secondly, there is no communal area, unless you count the tiny disgusting kitchen which never seems to be clean. It is full of flies due to a fridge which doesnt seem to have been cleaned in years. The cooker takes a very long time to cook anything and is very dirty. Cutlery and plates all seemed to be unclean, overall this place makes you generally feel unclean. The hostel boasts a 'free' breakfast, this consists of mouldy bread and cornflakes with gross milk. The only good thing about this place is the amusing russian 'cleaner' who has good intentions but doesn't seem to clean anything. The showers are vile and are impossible to get a good tempterature. The locks dont work on one of the showers. After discovering period on the floor, I recommend wearing flip flops at all times if you do end up staying here. The 'free wifi' is only between 9AM and 9PM, and doesn't work very well. As it is Christmas, we were all looking forward to FaceTiming our families yet the wifi was awful and wouldn't let us. There are computers yet no Skype or webcams - not very suitable for backpackers who want to contact home. There is also no air con in the rooms, only a fan in the middle resulting in a room full of sweaty travellers. Some people were left in dorms on their own, when they expected to meet other people - not what you want if you're a lone traveller at Christmas.

I know this review may sound exaggerated but I never leave reviews but felt SO strongly about this place and would like to prevent anyone else having to experience it.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Clarevhedges1

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Montreal, Canada
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

arrived there and the guy who checked me in wasn't very friendly. rooms are disgusting and the mattresses are caved in - the shared showers (3 of them for every female in the hostel) were gross. they say "free wi-fi" but they shut it down at 9pm until they re-open it at 9am the next day. there's this old lady that "cleans" the hostel - i wanted to get to my locker and do the laundry one morning (both the lockers and washing machines are in one room) and when i opened the door, there she was, alseep on the reception chairs she turned into a makeshift bed. i had to wake her up so she could get out of my way. why would staff sleep in a locker/laundry room!?!?! on chairs?!?! i wouldn't recommend this to anyone

Room Tip: better off sleeping on the street
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Stefanie H

Travelers are raving about these Bondi hotels

Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2012

Arrived on 3.30 owner looked like he was high terrible English speaker!
The hostel was Disgusting the room was really small bed was dirty closet was broken lock on the door is really hard to lock! (lock is loos in the door)
the showers unable to lock the showers are really dirty with a lot of hair and other junk on the floor
I don't want to know what it was the toilets are really disgusting also the toilets are unable to to lock! I complained at the owner showt him the showers and toilets but he didn't saw it or he didn't want to see it!
I booked this hostel for two nights after a couple minutes I tried to cancel my second night when i asked it to the owner but he just say no further nothing! he didn't even try to come with another answer!

further there were a lot of Russian people walking in out all really smelly and looked drunk!
well I should say don't book it

Room Tip: they aren't any good rooms
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank siets255100
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2012

First off the "free pickup" was 2.5 hours late after I had to call 4 times. I checked in at 12pm and paid for my 6 nights that were booked. Their website said to provide 24 hours prior to any cancellation. I was shown to my "room" which I could barley stretch my arms across from wall to wall. There was no air-conditioning with 4 people were jammed into it, not to mention garbage all over the floor (they clearly do not have housekeeping). My "bed" was a crusted stained sheet of foam. The facilities were old and horrible, broken bathrooms and a disgusting "kitchen." By 7pm I had given up on trying to breathe in the 45 degree sweaty room and decided to check out with "reception" (a room they turned into reception that convinently had air-conditioning for the owner) I was supposed to be closed at 9pm when I found a paper sign saying closed early. I decided to stay the night somewhere else and returned the next morning to discuss my checkout. The owner Vlad was very unfriendly and claimed he "could not" refund ANY of my money then showed me the door. I will NEVER recommend his "hostel" to anyone and was very unhappy with my stay near Bondi beach.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank R R
Leeds, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2012

Arrived at Bondi shores over new years, the host was very very unwelcoming, making us wait hours to check in when he clearly wasn't doing much at all. Our rooms were at best average, the kitchen was small and there was no common room or lounge. The manager kept saying he wanted no drama from us throughout our stay, but he didn't seem to know who was staying in our dorm. People came in an out of the room, sleeping on the floor and kicking people out of their bed in the middle of the night, it certainty wasn't safe. I even witnessed somebody stealing my friends flip flops. a very bad experience of Bondi.

Room Tip: don't get a room
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank jono r
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2011

I didn't expect much from the hostel, but I was expecting it to be clean and tidy.
The place is a dump, not fit for humans.
The bathrooms are dirty and moldy, locks broken in the toilets.
The rooms are dirty and the electrics look very dodgie, the fridge in the room is covered in dirt and the back is hanging off it.
The kitchen is a filth fest, nothing is safe in this place. Dishes don't get cleaned up by other users.
Best advise here is, to stay away and dont come near the place as you will most likely catch a decease.

• Stayed November 2011
1 Thank Pedro1982
Belfast, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 25, 2011

We stayed a weekend in this hostel. The service was really good and helpfull. Every time we saw the owner, he chated with us for a while. This was really nice! The location was good, short walking distance to both beaches (Tamarama and Bondi).The dorm was clean and good sized. There were also a mirror in the room which is not usual in backpackers places. The continental breakfast was good. Overall we were pleased to stay our last days in Australia in this hostel.

Room Tip: Our room (number 8) was really clean.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends