“I'll go again!”

Ranked #9 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Bondi
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“I'll go again!”
Reviewed January 8, 2013

First and foremost I would like say to everybody who is complaining like crazy: stop it! It's so unnecessary. If you don't want to have to complain, go to something that is called a HOTEL. You know a hostel is very basic and may not always live up to your standards. I was more annoyed by all the people shouting in the middle of the night: I mean, have some decency towards people who are trying to sleep.

As for the rooms: for the first few nights we had a room just off of the common room, close to a toilet and shower. That was not exactly a clever thing there though because the toilet/shower was too small. Whenever someone took a shower, it was a little hard keeping your clothes dry when using the toilet. So after a couple of days we took a 2bedroom ensuite and that was really good. Small but all the things we needed was there.

As for location: could NOT BE BETTER! You are literally around the corner from Bondi Beach and Campbell Parade with places to eat, get souvenirs and catch the bus.

Staff: when were there (late 2010) there was indeed 1 woman who was a little bit, well rude is not the right word, a little less harsh than that. But the woman who was there every morning and the men who were cleaning were all extremely kind and sweet and always willing to help. The cleaners are elderly, but they were the ones who hoisted our suitcases all the way to the upper level (to the en suite room) and every day it was like "hello good morning, how are you?" or "let me know if you would like someone to sweep the room or change your sheets"(no extra costs!)
The hostel was cleaned every 6 hours, but remember that there are a lot of people in a hostel, and if they should clean up after themselves, there would be a lot less to complain about when it comes to clutter and dirt!

So really: I don't know why people are giving this such a bad review. I had never been in a hostel before this and frankly, I was getting anxious just by reading the reviews and it was not that bad at all. We stayed there for 4 weeks and I am coming back again with Christmas 2013 and New Year 2014, another 4 weeks.

Therefore I voted "very good" because "average" for me was a bit of an understatement.

To people reading reviews for advice: don't read into it too much. If you don't fuss about a bit of clutter (trust me, backpackers are not exactly tidy people, unlike myself) and not too much comfort or luxury, this place is very good and good value for money. The location is just perfect.

I can very much recommend getting an en-suite room, I like having my own toilet and shower. Just 1 thing that was a perhaps not that good: we had the en-suite on the top floor and it had bunk beds. Normally that would not be a problem, BUT: I am only 5'4 (1.62m) myself and the bed was even too short for me! But then again, we came at very short notice, so obviously the "normal" rooms you see in the pictures were already taken.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 26, 2012

Ok, so, im not gonna be as passionate about how bad this place is as other reviewers but i will give an honest account of when i stayed here.... Dirty bathrooms with hair all over them, Dirty bed sheets sitting outside my room door from morning until the next morning, very very rude and abrupt russian lady on reception who would rather be on the phone talking in russian or outside having a fag, extremely extremely noisy, i stayed here for 5 nights and every night without fail i was kept away by a group of girls just down the hall with their dorm room door open, playing loud music and sitting in the hall.. if, at any point i wanted to go to the toilet, i would have to step over them as they didnt seem keen to move!! i ventured downstairs into the kitchen one day, jesus christ i wish i hadnt.. dirty, smelly, i could have let a bomb off in that place and it would have been an improvement!! my bedsheets were old and ripped in countless places, i have come away with a numerous amount of suspicious bites on my legs, skirting boards and walls are disgustingly dirty.. overall the whole place probably needs a good revamp! i feel sorry for the cleaners, they really do try their hardest but to put it bluntly, theyre old. and they just cant move quick enough or bend low enough to get to all the corners! good points, location. a 2 minute walk to all the restaurants and beach, couldnt ask for closer! i wouldnt recommend this hostel to the older generation.. or someone who is on their own, and looking just to get your head down at night. I am only 21 but the noise and constant music and doors slamming was enough for me! this is definitely a party travellers hostel! i leave tomorrow morning and to be honest, i cant wait.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Travelers are raving about these Bondi hotels

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed December 13, 2012

Why oh why did I do this to myself? I am not a hostel person and it is because of the places like that. It is dirty, poorly planned out (20 rooms that each have at least 2 people inside use 3 toilet/ shower stalls). There is no AC. Rooms smells funny (not in a nice way). No parking if you are traveling by car. Lots of people smoking weed outside and the smell drags inside. I have yet to hear what is going to happen at night here. The only thing is nice about it is the location: neighborhood is similar to Santa Monica beach in Los Angeles.

Room Tip: Always look at tripadvisor reviews before trusting anyone else with theirs.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 7, 2012 via mobile

I needed a room in bondi for 3 nights and booked this hostel deciding not to believe all the bad reviews..oh well they are all very true!
I had a single room with shared bathroom; the room was small, floor sticky and dirty, sheets stinky and with stains I don't even wanna think about. Bathroom was small but not too bad.
I was waken up by a cochrouch walking on my leg!! It was horrible!! To be fair the east european lady at the reception at least gave me the money back and didnt charge me for the 2 nights I was supposed to stay but obviously didn't.
A part from cleaness (or better dirtyness) hostel is too loud and in a very dark street, too many backpackers hanging out outside till morning. Beach is however very close. Don't go!! I left from there in tears and slept totally dresses up because disgusted by the room. Never ever again!!

• Stayed December 2012
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Don't stay here if you can avoid it, so plan ahead (unfortunately I didn't). My room stank of drugs, which is probably what's required to get through the place. It was dirty and expensive, and despite only being in a room of four, it was pretty squalid. It was also quite expensive. The only positive is the location, but you might be better sleeping on the beach!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 17, 2012

One of the worst hostels i have ever stayed in! The only positive is the location as its literally a two minute walk to the beach. The rooms are filthy, beds old and uncomfortable, the bathrooms are less than desirable, and the staff don't speak good English. It's just incredibly basic. Nothing is free, you have to pay for the internet, pay to use the iron! I would never stay there again.

Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank PatrickSimmons
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My friend and I stayed here for 3 nights, and overall the experience was OK. The location is fantastic being just a stones throw from Bondi beach and right onto the front, however the rooms and hostel itself need a little work. The level of cleanliness wasn't great, and the toilets were far and few between and to be fair could have done with a more thorough clean. On the plus side, we had our own TV (not really what we went for but a bonus none the less) and the internet was cheap at only $15 for one week and 1.5GB download. If you're looking for something easy on the wallet close to Bondi beach, give it a go.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends