“Good location, but average hostel”

Bondi Beachouse YHA
Ranked #11 of 16 Specialty Lodging in Bondi
Melbourne, Australia
“Good location, but average hostel”
Reviewed April 14, 2014

The place only has a couple of showers and toilets per floor, definitely not the best when crowded. Those arriving with cars/campervans should also note that whilst free parking is available in the side streets nearby, it can get really difficult to find a spot. Rooms were clean and fine though showers were a bit grotty and the kitchen can get pretty crowded. The hostel is very close to Bondi beach though, and that's a great plus if you're gonna be checking out the area. But if you're looking for something quieter, Coogee Beach house just down south is a better option.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed March 6, 2014

We stayed at the YHA at Bondi recently and met lots of really great travellers of all nationalities and ages. The hostel was pretty big, decent sized kitchen with lots of space for everyones cooking stuff. We stayed in a 6 bed dorm and the rooms were good with storage provided. There are strict rules about noise and drinking and youre not meant to be in public areas past 10pm but they arent too strict about the curfew. If its a party hostel youre looking for this isnt the one for you, but the facilities are pretty clean and its a great vibe overall with surfboards for rent and pleasant staff.

Room Tip: Some of the private rooms have GREAT views of the beach. Ask for a corner if youre booking private.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 2, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here in a double room. Located a 5 min walk from the beach and in a quiet area. Our room was OK, very basic, but the bed was comfortable. We had shared bathrooms, which were fairly clean. My biggest issue was the kitchen, which is fairly small and didn't seem that clean. The hostel ask for a deposit for cutlery, which is fine, but we had to queue for 20 minutes to get some, which was frustrating (albeit, we could have done this at check-in). The staff were fine but the hostel has seen better days unfortunately, as the majority of the facilities seem outdated.

• Stayed February 2014
Dunedin, New Zealand
Reviewed February 27, 2014

On the expensive side for a youth hostel but prices everywhere creeping up or more than friends told me. I have other friends who have been there before and enjoyed it. It was a good place to crash. It was very good for meeting people as I've found in both Sydney places we stayed. Staff were a mixture but mainly helpful. Not very far to a beautiful big and popular beach, a bar, eating houses, pool and shops plus bus to Sydney etc. If in Sydney in Summer one could do a lot worse. Had a nice stay overall.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Melbourne
Reviewed February 23, 2014 via mobile

In all the hostel experiences I have had travelling around the world this is by far the worst I have ever had. The staff are rude and unhelpful- my key was not working so I asked for some help and the man at reception swore at me-the toilets are disgusting and there are no where near enough to cater for everyone. You have to pay for wifi, the kitchen is grotty and disorganised. They have games available for guests and my friend and I were huffed and puffed at by staff when we asked if we could use them. There are Mosquitos and bugs everywhere in the room.
Would seriously never recommend this place to anyone, the staff members especially the man at reception are horrible and make you feel really unwelcome.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Divlin

Travelers are raving about these Bondi hotels

Fano, Italy
Reviewed February 11, 2014

We stayed there 4 nights in last January and after almost 9 months travelling around the world, we can say this hostel, I mean this hole, is by far the worst place we have stayed at until now. This is absolutely a shame for YHA! The staff is really rude and not welcoming at all, "we don't need to explain you where the kitchen is and how it works here, you stay 4 nights, you will see it by yourself"... The rooms are covered with a bunch of mold and waste, like empty bottles cans, food stuff, empty wine boxes, i even saw a rat in the hallway... The restrooms are disgusting and stinky, drunk guys are peeing on the floor, there is even trash in the showers. The 3rd night, I had to change room because the hostel was full, so I got my new room and then I left for the afternoon. When I came back at night, there was a german guy sleeping in my bed so I came downstairs to see the manager and he said: "yeah you know these things happen sometimes", how the hell can you say that as a manager? This german hadn't paid for the room, he was just sleeping here for free in my bed! The manager finally accepted to go up and force the german to leave but the german came back after when I was out, I tried to make him leave my bed but he was drunk so I anyway didn't want to sleep anymore in my bed and I spent the night on the sofa. I came down to see someone from the hostel and I found a guy working at reception, but he could not help me because he was drunk, drinking with a bunch of young australian guys who were actually playing in the kitchen destroying chairs and tables. We advice you, this is an unsafe and horrible place, stay away from it!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MrsFalange
Carlisle, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 30, 2014 via mobile

TINY, hot rooms. No fan. 2 bathrooms for about 40 people on each floor. It was the cheapest place we could find and it was close to the beach and there are nice views from the roof. When we were there we were not able to use the BBQ as the STAFF sat around it said they had reserved it. We asked if we could use it and were told no. When we left 1.5 hours later they still hadn't even started using it. Pretty rude. The guy on reception was pretty helpful though

Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Bondi
Adina Apartment Hotel Bondi Beach
#5 of 9 in Bondi
Bondi Backpackers
Bondi Backpackers
#1 of 16 in Bondi

Been to Bondi Beachouse YHA? Share your experiences!