“Great hostel experience”

Bondi Beachouse YHA
Ranked #12 of 16 Specialty Lodging in Bondi
Reviewed January 25, 2014

This place has pretty good value. We had a double room and the room was quite spacious. The roof deck provides an awesome view. Plenty of paid locker storage in the basement. The woman at the front desk helped to accommodate us so that we didn't have to move rooms for our second night even though the nights were booked separately, and that was appreciated. I found the bed actually quite comfortable and I got a great sleep (also was jet-lagged, so that has to be considered). The bathrooms were quite clean and nice for a hostel. Large shower stalls with modern stall doors that have no cracks to see through. The location is pretty good but you are not right on the beach - it is a good 10 minute walk to hit the sand at Bondi. Overall I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed January 25, 2014 via mobile

When I flew into Sydney,I first stayed at Bondi YHA.

I enjoyed the coastal walk and Bondi Beach - all within reach of the hostel. Spectacular scenery so breath taking. Captured so many nice photographs.

I am happy for the fact there are shops and food places that are not far from this hostel for a young traveller.

The bathrooms need to be maintained better. They need to smell better so perhaps the cleaners need to do a better job to maintain this area better.

Lack of atmosphere was another concern. It is rare that I can stay in a hostel where I can hang out with other roommates who are there to unwind also from their usual lives. It may have just been coincidence.

Deposit for cutlery - I am sort of half/half on this one. The first set I got were broken in parts and did not appreciate receiving items in this condition. I did get them replaced. Bit awkward to keep these in bedrooms because the hostel operates in some different way to other YHA hostels.

I'd recommend staying away from this hostel if your stay here is longer than a few days.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 1, 2014

The place was good..found the toilets n room clean..
Good and friendly people..
Location was awesome..a few mins walk to the Bondi beach or Tam beach
Close the the bus stop that can take you to Bondi Junction or directly to circular Quay
Friendly staff helped me lot with planning activities and suggesting good plcs to visit in sydney

Room Tip: If you are solo, go for a shared dorm..make some friends and hit the roads
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank muhammedariff
Reviewed December 18, 2013

First time in Hostel (Middle aged)
Room was basic but comfortable and clean.
Communal shower could have been more powerful.
Great roof top view looking over beaches and sea.
Five minute walk to Bondi.
IMHO great location and great value.
Would do it again.
Booked online, no problem.

Room Tip: We stayed on second floor to the front. It was reasonably quiet but back may have less traffic noise...
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Juju149
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Good location near Bondi beach, facilities are also good. Only downside was there were a lot of 'rules', particularly with respect to consumption of alcohol. I feel as an adult, you shouldn't be told what kind of wine you're allowed to drink and when you can drink it! However, these 'rules' were enforced sensibly, ie, only when causing a disturbance to other visitors, which made them much more bearable.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed October 31, 2013

Very nice place, extra clean, perfect for Bondi beach.
It's a bit expensive if you conseder taht you have to pay other 5 dollar for internet (decent speed), 10 dollar deposit for the cutlery... !!!!! At leat it's'jsut a deposit.
But, I mean, very good experience.
Kitchen not so good....

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank JimiRocknroll
Reviewed October 28, 2013

After travelling around New Zealand and staying in hostels in great condition, some yha's, this was the first hostel in Australia we , myself and partner, stayed in and we were very underwhelmed by our experience. Firstly when trying to book online we had difficulty booking the same dorm for the two of us, the website said there was a 6person room available then we went to book it this wasn't the case and we were advised to call the office, no one answers, don't bother, so we booked separate rooms just so we'd have a bed for the night.
I had the worst experience in a hostel to date that night. I walked in to a 6 person room where I was greeted with a stench resembling a rubbish tip and an appearance to match, there was not one square foot of floor visible under all the belongings, old dirty plates, food, empty drink bottles, general rubbish and dirty clothes. it was filthy, I actually lost the flip flop from my foot when it stuck to the floor as I tried to pick my way to the lockers, which I was lucky enough to get one (after clearing out the rubbish inside). there was a huge tv in the middle of the floor which belonged to a "gentleman" that had apparently been inhabiting this room for the past two years. Seriously buddy if you're here that long rent an apartment! After leaving the nausea inducing room I checked out the rest of the hostel, not bad, large common/dining room, kitchen ok, not a lot of space for food though. the shelves and fridges were packed with everyone else's food. Good freebies, pancakes etc on certain days. tv room was good and a safe haven compared to the dorm.
That night, or rather in the early hours, the owner of the large tv, and I presume most/all of the junk in the room, came home with two fellow work mates who made their beds on the floor making the 6 dorm an eight, oh wait plus the chick who the resident brought home too, nine people. but at least she didn't take up any room staying in his bed just made for very uncomfortable atmosphere , again if you want to pick up people and bring them back don't get a sharing room.
in the morning went straight to reception to ask to be moved to another room , I did not even have time to mention what the reason was and was told to "tell **** to stop messing around and clean up his stuff" so clearly they have had complaints about this guy before. there were no other rooms available. We had booked for two nights and did not want to loose the money so the next night my partner swapped dorms with me. I had a very pleasant stay in the second 6 person dorm, I could actually see the floor, it was clean and didn't smell. My partner on the other hand had much the same experience I had had the previous night and said he was almost sick with the smell of the place. So that's a male and female opinion, it definitely stank!
Was planning on becoming a member of YHA but after this shambles would never stay at one again. I sent a complaint email via the yha website and never got a response, I'm sure my bad experience doesn't matter as they will always get backpackers to stay even for one night.
I wouldn't recommend staying in a place that doesn't care about the non "long term" residents.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple