“Over priced, filthy kitchen all the time, rude staff.”

Bondi Beachouse YHA
Ranked #12 of 15 Specialty Lodging in Bondi
“Over priced, filthy kitchen all the time, rude staff.”
Reviewed October 28, 2013

I had heard many good things about the YHA so decided to book a double room for 2 weeks. The location is fantastic and I must compliment how clean the bathrooms are. My complaint mainly is the poor constant state of the kitchen, other guests are allowed to just use what utensils they need and not clean it up its filthy. I thought this maybe a one off but this is my second stay here in a month and nothing has improved. Hostels I have stayed in previously have a kitchen overseer or someone who keeps it tidy. Even just some more signs asking people to please clean up may be more effective than the 2 small hardly readable signs in the kitchen area. My second complaint is the staff most of them are lovely and very pleasant but there is one guy and girl who let the whole team down massively the man who works after 9pm most evening is very unhelpful and rude. The evening before checking in we had a query and saw online reception was open until 10pm so called at 9.30 and were told by the man working reception at that time told to get off the phone and call back in the morning which made me feel very unwelcome. The hostel does have a lovely roof terrace however I feel
It is neglected with old tired furniture and not a lot of it, i also feel it is a waste closing the roof terrace so early at 9pm every night. This hostel is aparantly 4* and I really don't think it deserves it at the moment. Other hostels I have stayed in organise far more activities in the evenings for guests to give backpackers the chance to meet and socialise and those hostels offered so much more for a lower price. I only stay in this hostel for its location as I love to be near the beach.

• Stayed September 2013

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Sydney, New South Wales, Australia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

I spent almost 2 weeks in this YHA and i really liked it. Everybody was nice, the service was good, reception was always open at daytime and all time long nice and ready to help. There were a lot of specials, each day different, barcecue, pancakes, etc. Rooms are small but lockers are big enough to put everything you have inside. Kitchen is also very big and a good place to meet a lot of people and maybe find some new friends. If I ever need a place to stay again I would totally come back, since its so close to beachside and also to the big westfield shopping centre with a lot of shops around. I totally recommend it!

Room Tip: best rooms are the big dorms up to 6 beds and also better to sleep to the outside, because if you ca...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
Reviewed October 3, 2013

I had a lovely stay, excellent location near Tamarama beach. Thank you to the manager and most of her team for their professionalism, efficiency and politeness. Some points to work on would be...
- immediate basic manners and customer service training for the extremely rude female who was on reception (Sat 5th Oct)
- did I read the expiry date incorrectly or are the firehoses past their expiry test date?
- bathrooms closed at 8am some mornings when most people would like to wash, surely anytime after checkout time of 10 am would be more sensible
- an unusually high number of noisy, inconsiderate guests in the middle of the night, not the norm for the YHA hostels
Finally, I would recommend this hostel for the location.

Room Tip: apparently there are rooms with an ocean view - wish I knew! TOP TIP: relax on their huge rooftop d...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We arrived just after midnight and were checked in by the lovely night manager. We had booked a private room and found out upon arrival that we had been put into a room with bunk beds. The night manager explained to us that there was nothing he could do and told us not to pay until we spoke to the receptionist the next morning.
Early on Saturday morning we went and spoke to the receptionist, Pearl, who was really very rude and told us in quite a condescending manner that there was nothing she could do and that other people were arriving that day and had booked a private room. Now this would have been understandable had we not booked into a private room. We had screen shots of our booking clearly stating that it was a double bed private, not a set of bunk beds. I was really quite annoyed at the way in which she spoke to us, like we had done something wrong. We told her that we would possibly have to look for somewhere else to stay and we went out for breakfast. We returned to find our beds stripped and the cleaning lady told us we had to check out! Pearl had checked us out while we had been away! This is when our saving grace stepped in in the form of two employees Steve and Jason. They were just so kind and understood where we were coming from, that we had booked a private room and were entitled to it! To shorten the story they pushed for it and ensured we were put into the correct room. On our third and final day we had to change rooms again and were upgraded to a room with an en suite. This did not make up for the hassle and annoyance of being messed around and all the time wasted trying to sort it out during our short weekend break.
On the bright side, the hostel is in a great location and there are amazing views from the upper rooms and the rooftop terrace. There is a little convenience store located beside the premises which is quite handy. The YHA is also very quiet, allowing for a good night's sleep.
If you are not concerned about how you are spoken to or what room you are in then I would recommend the YHA.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Muenster, Germany
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I had a great stay at the Bondi Beachhouse! The staff is really friendly and helpful, the dorms and bathrooms are quite clean, and the view from the rooftop is amazing! I highly recommend it and next time I'm in Bondi I will stay there again!

• Stayed July 2013
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed August 21, 2013

This hostel is the best in Sydney. The Bondi Beachhouse has a great atmosphere, it is clean, good kitchen facilities and a very friendly staff.
I have met many nice people who now is my friends and we had a lot of great evenings in the courtyard and dining room plus we done a lot of other great social activities.
The hostel is between the famous Bondi Beach and the small local beach Tamarama.
It is a great place to stay, as you are close to the beach and it is very easy to go into the Sydney Inner City.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sydney, Australia
Reviewed July 30, 2013

Enjoyed my stay in this hostel at Bondi. Staff were ok, could have been more friendly. Good location, easy walk to the beach. Good facilities, kitchen, lounge and roof terrace. On the first nice, however, had what could only be a tramp in my room, who was up most of the night drinking, very surprised the hostel staff let the person into the hostel. Enjoyed the rest of my stay.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo