“Comfortable, but suburban” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dolma Hotel

Lowest prices for {0} - {1}
Enter dates for lowest prices
We check up to 200+ sites for the lowest hotel prices
Dolma Hotel
Ranked #1 of 2 Brunswick B&B and Inns
Adelaide, Australia
“Comfortable, but suburban”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 19, 2012

The Dolma is up in North Brunswick. It’s accessible by tram – number 19 from Elizabeth Street was the one I used. It can take half an hour to get to the city by tram.

It’s a pleasant building, clean, tidy and with high ceilings. The high ceilings made the small room I had appear to be larger.
Looking around the building there do seem, however, to be a variety of rooms of different sizes.

Breakfast is extra and only juice, cereal, tea/coffee & toast at $6 unless you negotiate it as part of the price you pay.
Internet use is free but too slow for anything other than mail and webpage viewing. It is available as wi-fi from each room. I found it chronically slow and tried to contact the external provider but they have a naive view of customer service. The hotel people, though, were open to improving their internet service but need to know where to start..
The laundry is downstairs and costs $3 to wash & $3 to dry, operated by dollar coins.
Parking is secure but uncovered out at the back.
The staff are friendly and helpful.
The nearest mini-market, Gervasi, is close by on the left heading into town on Sydney Road. Don’t be put off by the smells coming from it.. You may miss it as it doesn’t look like a supermarket. There’s another on the right down Sydney Road a few blocks into town but they have limited stock, so anything other than milk, tea, cereal, biscuits is a lot further away.

There’s a decent pub on the opposite corner of Sydney Road & Moreland with cheap meals.
The cafes and restaurants nearby are mostly halal which may very well suit one’s taste. There’s one shop very close where the food is terrible and one where the kebabs are perfect. Also a pie shop that seems to close for lunch.
There’s a newsagents on the corner that has very little except a newspaper if you’re lucky and seems to rely on lotto.

It’s a comfortable place to stay. Not overly cheap though and a fair distance from the choice of food and cafes further into town. It’s not a lively part of town; quite suburban as it is being on the edge of Coburg.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the laundry, lift and external doors
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

It was old, dirty, noisy from the floor (also after midnight!), very cold, the aircon did not work, a very small room (maybe for a single person okay, but not for two!). After one night we left!!! The price was it not worth!

• Stayed October 2012
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Travelers are raving about these Brunswick hotels

Bubikon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2012 via mobile

Never again, bad experience! Room was like a broom chamber. The room was dirty and it was very loud in the night. Unfortunately we book for 3 nights and prepaid. After a terrible night we left this location and got only 1 night refunded.

• Stayed October 2012
2 Thank Roli1964
Sydney, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Dolma for a total of 3 nights and quite frankly it was an experience I would like to forget.
I found some of the staff members at the Hotel to be absolutely brash and rude and the old adage of 'The customer is always right' couldn’t of applied to myself and my roomate more during our awful stay there as I turned up for breakfast in the dining area one morning but was refused and told to pay even though breakfast was included when I booked my stay.
I also had 2 other friends who were also on holiday but were staying in a different hotel room accompany myself and my roommate back to our twin shared room as we decided to chill in my room for a few hours. I realised that I did not receive my complimentary free wifi pass ( which infact later on I did not use cos the wifi there was so mind numbing slow) went up to the front desk and was scolded by the front desk clerk and told that I only paid for a twin room.It’s funny how my 2 friends had no luggage or carry bags on themselves on that day and yet I was wrongfully and unjustly accused of trying to get them stay in my room also!
I will never stay at this Hotel again and will encourage my friends,family and anyone else looking to stay in or around the Brunswick area to book somewhere else! I guess at the end of the day you get what you pay for, however there is no excuse for inexcusable and shockingly bad customer etiquette.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank POATS
Hamilton & Waikato Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed at this old lady 3 times in a matter of weeks. She is old and seen better days but couldn't fault cleanliness, value and service. The location is 2nd to none with many public transport options and very handy to freeway and airport. Didn't have any major security worries just a bit wary of the area and ground floor rooms would be easy access from outside. Overall good value basic hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 7, 2012

My stay at Hotel Dolma was established as I had a late night flight into Melbourne and wanted a hotel close to the airport. However this about a 15min drive and in the late hours of the night quite scary. Although the hotel room was average it was quite old however clean and spotless. I did feel a bit uneasy and unsafe at night however! The reception staff were absoulutely amazing! They were so helpful and the level of friendly service amazing! They were helpful in setting me up with a Myki card and walked me to the station to demonstrate how to purcharse tickets! They gave valuable information, timetables and advice! We did have buffet breakfast and it was below average to say the least! It included toast and small ceareal boxes! So wouldn't really call a buffet breakfast! However if like myself you are interested in a hotel close to the apartment I suggest ParkRoyal directly across from the domestic airport terminal!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Melb
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2012

We were originally booked in at another motel who ended up cancelling our booking as they double booked, so we made some last minute phone calls and with a sticky budget we found Hotel Dolma! We barganed with the staff for a $10 discount and they were very helpful and welcoming :) We were in room 12 which contained a small bathroom, 2 queen beds and 2 singles which held all 5 of us with room to move. The room had a nice freshly cleaned smell and every detail from the little fold in the towels to the placing of the soap bars was really cute! The reception staff were very helpful and il save you the reading it was great and id really highly reccomend it.

Room Tip: Ask if you can see the rooms or a photo first cause they are all set out differantly :)
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank NotRevealingMyNameXO
Also consider these accommodations in or near Brunswick
BreakFree Bell City
Vibe Hotel Carlton
#85 of 158 in Melbourne
Parkville Place Apartments
#3 of 3 in Brunswick

Been to Dolma Hotel? Share your experiences!