“Indian restaurant backroom”

Auberge du Souverain
Paris, France
“Indian restaurant backroom”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2013

I stayed for 2 nights at this place, the building is fine but when you're in front, it's quite hard to guess that this place is something else than a restaurant.

When I entered the building it smelled curry and I got lead to a back corridor where I got the keys to my room.

Room decoration is quite old and the eletrical installation, furniture, non-working air conditioning are clearly out of date.

Let alone the view from the bathroom, directly on the satelite antenna, unidentified stains on the sheets and cigarette hole on the blanket.

At 11:30PM, they started cooking onions which smell literally invaded the rooms of the entire hotel.

FLEE FROM THIS HOTEL.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Carlito75

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
NYC
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2013

It is a very unexpected hotel. If I didn't see the pictures, I wouldn't have even known it was a hotel. it's an Indian restaurant on the ground floor with the rooms above it. Seems like the restaurant staff also staff the hotel. The staff was all supremely helpful with helping us figure out how to use public transportation (gave us a public transit map and directions on how to buy tickets etc). For the price we paid (80 euros/night), I thought it was a pretty good deal (they require payment up front). The bathroom in our room was completely renovated and sparkling clean. The room itself was ok. the furniture all looked new but I thought the carpet/bedspread/curtains could use updating too. Comes with free breakfast that was a pretty good selection. The bus stop is right outside the hotel so I could see how that could be bothersome. I always travel with ear plugs so I didn't have an issue with that. Free wifi. So all in all, not a 5 star hotel or anything, but pretty good for what it was.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Northern Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 21, 2012

I booked it in a rush and later on realized it was a **, which worried me.

Whatever this place has been it is clear the owners (a lovely Indian couple) are making their outmost to lift it up considerably. They are friendly, they help you as soon as they can with whatever issues you may have in or outside the hotel.

They are completely renovating the rooms and I was given one of the new ones. Remember to check this when you book. Another advantage of booking directly with the owners is that then they will include the breakfast. If you book through a booking company the charge you 8 euros for breakfast. Breakfast is abundamt with lots of healthy choices.

Adjacent is an Indian restaurant. Lovely food at normal prices for Brussels and the building inside is one of the most beautiful I have seen.

It is detached from the city centre and you need transport but if I have to come back to the sqme area of the city I will certainly give this hotel priority.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank jcATni
Bristol, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

Stayed there for 2 nights on business trip. The hotel is little bit old but the owner and staff are friendly and very helpful. The room is clean too though a bit of painting fell on carpet. Not as noisy as people reviewed. It's in front of the bus station so u won't expect it to be as quiet as the outskirts.

• Stayed August 2012
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 31, 2012

Hi I stayed in May 2012 on 2nd Floor, I will try to give a balanced review

+ve's
> Very close to Tram No 94 and also a bus service although I didn't use the bus.
> Walk to the tube station in about 15 mins
> Walk to Supermarket/shopping retail park in 15/20 mins
> There was a lift in the hotel
> 3 Large parks close by
> Some parts of the rooms were cleaned although I noticed the floor
was not cleaned although the bed was made everyday.

-ve
> Noisy inside could not sleep just could hear foot steps all the time
> Noisy outside you could hear the bus and traffic as it is close to a main road.
> The hair dryer was awful
> The bathroom lights (not the main one on the ceiling) got very hot very quick
I think it's a fire hazard if you forgot to turn off the light.
> No free map or advise about the city
> When I got there the person quibbled about the price, I took my
print out and finally I paid what was agreed (the price I booked). I was also
asked to pay first - all the other places I stayed I always paid at the end of my stay
not at the start.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank InfoseekUK
Also consider these accommodations in or near Watermael-Boitsfort
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Center
MEININGER Hotel Brussels City Ce...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Jans-Molenbeek
#2 of 4 in Watermael-Boitsfort
Guest House Les 3 Tilleuls
Guest House Les 3 Tilleuls
#113 of 208 in Brussels

Been to Auberge du Souverain? Share your experiences!