“Best burgers in Brussels”

Le tram de Boitsfort
Cuisines: Belgian, Fast Food
Good for: Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout
Brussels, Belgium
“Best burgers in Brussels”
Reviewed June 7, 2014

This is definitely not McDonalds! The menu is slanted towards burgers & frites, so while the choices are relatively few, what they do make, they make well and with obvious pride.

The restaurant inside the tram is very small (I think it could seat 10 max) but not cramped, and I suggest you make reservations if that is where you want to sit. Outside there are picnic benches, which would be quite nice when the weather cooperates. One thing to note was that you see everything in the tram: front is where take-out is ordered, middle is the kitchen, and the back is the restaurant area. What amazed me is that it didn't get hot from the cooking or smell like grease. Must have been some sort of amazing ventilation system to do that, particularly since you didn't hear the exhaust fan.

The burger menu is nothing adventurous - it's not Les Filles du Tram, which also makes excellent burgers (my wife's favorite - interesting how both are related to trams) and has a much broader choice - but what makes them stand apart is the patty, the heart of the burger. The meat was perfectly cooked, tender with a crispy exterior, and exploding with juice. It was one of the best burgers I have ever eaten. The only negative is that I found it expensive for burgers, but not out of line for what you pay for a good burger in Brussels (I still think of North American prices for meals, so everything seems expensive here, especially burgers). But the three young people working at the Tram take real - and justified - pride in their cuisine (not a word you often associate with burgers, but it is appropriate here) and use the best quality, local ingredients.

Another bonus - and a bit of a surprise - was how amazing their fries were! They were perfectly fried, with that crispy, almost translucent exterior and soft, starchy interior. Magnifique!

For the families, I would add that there is a nice little park right next to the tram, which is a real bonus for restless kids waiting for their meal (or you for a table). Another bonus for those who drive is that this is not downtown (or even Place Flagey), so parking is relatively easy and driving is a lot easier than in those areas.

Bottom line: we highly recommend the Tram de Boisfort and will definitely be going again to one of our greatest Brussels discoveries.

• Visited May 2014
1 Thank ChrisandFam

Ghent
“Not worth de detour”
Reviewed May 4, 2014

I was very dissappointed visiting this restaurant. I arrived late on their midday shift (around 13h45) and was not very welcomed. I sat in the somewhat cramped 'restaurant' section of the tram. You can also order at the other side of the tram (take-away) and eat on a sunny day your meal on the benches provided by the city outside the tram (which I strongly recommend as the tram also has a typical frying odour). When ordering I ask for the difference between just burger and fries and the meal. The difference was a salad. I said I did not wanted that. After less than a minute the male (owner/...) came urging me to take the meal which really would be better value. On arrival of my meal I can not say that two leaves of salad and two slices of tomato is worth to be called a salad nor extra value. They did also forgot my drink (which can happen). As I was quite thursty by then I asked for a can of Coke Zero rather than a bottle. The waitress would check if this was possible. She came back after 5 minutes (no it's not such a big tram but still) and just put a bottle down without any further feedback. When I asked if it wasn't possible to have a can, she simply said they don't 'serve' a can in this section. To ad insult to injury she opened a can of Coke Zero for herself in her section (let's say 2 metres from where I was sitting). Yes the setting/design is unique. Food is ok. But service is a real issue. While I was there I also saw them preparing an order two times and where laughing about it. I am very sorry I can not be more positive of this sympathetic looking initiative.

• Visited April 2014
Cavan, Ireland
“Unique Dining Experience”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

This is a very unique dining experience .. An old tram converted in a little restaurant / take away . they specialise in mainly burgers / Fish and chips and I must say the food ,although somewhat on the greasy side, is very good . The Place is very clean and ,The staff are very helpful and Polite .Don't Know how well this venture will work out for the Winter as there really is not much in the line of shelter etc. for waiting on free Tables or a Takeaway Order But best of luck to them.

• Visited October 2013