“Consistently Memorable”
Review of Villa Borghese - CLOSED

Villa Borghese
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Description: La villa borghese se dedica a hacer pasta fresca, carne roja con salsa casera (pimienta verde, archiduc, roquefort ... Tambien se puede pedir bogavante frescos llamando a nosotros. Hacemos banquete con menu especial.
Reviewed July 1, 2014

On Sunday my Walking Group celebrated the end of season with lunch at this, my favourite local restaurant. Twenty six of us sat down at 2pm to begin a wonderful meal from their 3 Course menu.After the fresh bread rolls with alioli and tomate I began with holjadre de vieras-a delicate puff pastry parcel filled with scallops in a delicious creamy sauce. My wife chose the smoked salmon with green asparagus. Both were superb. My wife then went for the Dorada (sea bream) cooked to perfection and served with boiled potatoes and I selected the Cordero al horno-roast shank of lamb which was so, so succulent served with roast potato wedges. We accompanied the meal with the house red-a young but very drinkable Rioja. Time for desserts and another difficult choice. In the end I opted for Tiramisu whilst my wife chose the Sorbete Amaretto. Both were simply delicious. To round the meal off we were served complimentary limoncellos. Everyone in our party was similarly enthusiastic about the meal and the service which, whilst unhurried, was professional and friendly. Villa Borghese you are a hard act to follow!

1  Thank billgerrycampello

Reviewed June 27, 2014

We visit this restaurant frequently the food is excellent value for money, but the family mother, father and son make this restaurant the most pleasurable experience. The attention you get from all is second to none. Cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough

Reviewed June 20, 2014

We have been enjoying visits to this restaurant for 10 years and have had excellent service from Ivana (Mum) and Clement (Son) and the food is very good but what a shame about PAPA.He is happy to watch his son serve the whole Restaurant while he serves the customers he likes and chats to them at length oblivious to the pressure this puts on his son who does care about giving the guests good attention. Father and son manage lunchtimes and Mother and son manage evenings so I recommend that you go in the evening when you will receive good attention.
If I was in the business I would snap Clement up straight away and if he ever left the family business it would be a disaster for the Restaurant.

1  Thank Graham B
Reviewed February 27, 2014

We went for lunch here with four and chose the lunch menu of 13,90 €. We entered around 1 pm and were the first, but many people followed giving the restaurant a nice atmosphere. The opera music helped as well. The starters and main dish were nice. The deserts exceptional. Warm apple pie with ice cream, tiramisu with ice and fruit salad with ice - all wonderful. We drank water and wine and when the bill arrived I told the waiter it was forgotten - no, all included in the menu!
Amazing, 3 cause lunch with wine and water for a total of 56 euro. Amazing!

Reviewed February 24, 2014

We visited this family-run restaurant on two separate occasions, both times with friends who eat here regularly. For this particular lunch we chose from the more expensive of the two menus, which offered a choice of starter and main from a reasonable selection.

I began with a generous helping of paper-thin marinated salmon which was sharp with lemon and fragrant with oil. Warm, crusty brown rolls were useful for mopping up delicious juices. My husband and the others had a rather ordinary-looking prawn cocktail (mostly lettuce, with albeit decently large part-peeled prawns dangling seventies-style round the rim of a vast wineglass) with a rose-coloured tomato-ketchup/mayo-type sauce in a stainless steel boat on the side.

For my main I chose the skate in black butter. While it wasn't the largest piece (my friend fared much better - her slab was enormous!) it was just how skate should be; fresh (as skate so often isn't) the rich buttery sauce sufficiently enlivened with piquant capers. The accompanying boiled spuds were a bit mixed - some were perfectly squashable (good for all that butter); others though were undercooked and utterly unyielding to my fork prongs. My husband opted for the medallions of pork (which he ate without comment at the time but has since pronounced as 'nice') and the fourth person at the table had a plain grilled steak.

I slightly regret my choice of dessert - a 'dame blanche' of vanilla ice cream with warm chocolate sauce. The chocolate sauce was sweet, the ice cream sweeter and the 'shaving-foam' aerated cream which swamped everything in the bowl, a step just that bit too far. The others had tiramisu, which appeared just to be sponge soaked in something coffee and alcohol based. Bowls, though, were scraped empty. Wine and coffee were extra.

While the meal was good enough, the service was notable for its friendliness and helpfulness; nothing, it appeared, was too much to ask for and the owners (who wait at the tables) went out of their way to ensure that the fussy among us got what they wanted!

2  Thank Jenny D