“Would not return again”

Barcelo Punta Umbria Beach Resort
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Punta Umbria
Reviewed October 9, 2013

Arrived on the 21 staying for two weeks,once settled into the room ,which was great ,we went to sit by the pool but could not get an empty Sun bed so enjoyed a lovely walk along the beach,on the second evening the 22,the Que at the bar was out of the door and down to the seating area,pictures have been posted on the site ,I waited 28,mins to get a drink to be told I could only have two drinks despite being all inclusive ,people were ve ry frustrated as at this time only two staff were running the only bar catering for a lot of people ,after a no of guests spoke with the manager including my wife and myself more staff were put on ,and the poolside bar was opened,but only as temp measure and soon things were back to normal including running out of glasses and having to drink out of paper cups in the evening , I spoke with the rep and told her of the problems to which I was called a liar,and there was no ques at the bar other people overheard her comments and spoke up ,saying to her how can you call the man a liar when you were stood in the same queue.On the second week of the holiday half the sun beds were starting to be removed despite people still arriving also a forklift truck removing beds around the pool area while people were Sunbathing at 10am ,lifeguard disappeared and the self-service bar was closed by the pool,the pool area was left in a terrible state for over five days (filthy),photos and a video of proof will be shown to Thomas cook customer relations ,the rep
Was asked by other guests to come and look at the pool but declined ,on the thurs after a lot of complaints a member of staff half heartly brushed up the mess.
We have stayed in other barcelo hotels ,but have never experienced anything like this one

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank tappsey
HotelBarceloResort, Director General at Barcelo Punta Umbria Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 31, 2014

Distinguished Tappsey,

Director-general Barcelo Punta Umbria Beach Resort

Write a ReviewReviews (6,162)

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I booked this holiday just two weeks before we went, girl who booked the holiday for us told us that we would not get any all day breakfasts, no fish &chips with mushy peas, no larger louts and she was right it was a very peaceful and relaxing holiday. The staff did not speak very much English but if you tried to speak a little Spanish when ordering a drink the staff did appreciate it. The food in the hotel was fine no complaints, our room was large and the bed was massive we had clean bath towels every day(3) (2) clean hand towels every day. Once the card key would not work, I reported it to reception and before I got back to my room the fault was been fixed. Plenty of sun beds( no need to put your towel on one the night before).Good variety of drinks behind the bar and no short measures. We would recommend this hotel to anyone who wants a relaxing holiday and we will be going back next year to unwind.

Room Tip: Our room was on level 1 and was very quiet.
4  Thank 580423Wig

Distinguished 580423Wig,

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My husband and myself stayed at this hotel from 19th September for a week it was a last minute holiday booked the day before we went and I have to say we were not disappointed. We have never booked an all inclusive holiday before and I have to say that other than being a bit noisy at mealtimes and more like a canteen (I cannot see any other way of feeding so many people) the food was lovely, I put on half a stone!! There were quite a few children at the resort but all of them were very well behaved and there was no problem with them either around the resort or at mealtimes. Our room was beautiful and immaculate, cleaned every day with clean towels etc put out, the maids (sorry if that's the wrong word to describe these hardworking women) were working throughout the day and very polite. There were queues at the bar in the evening but there were always 3-4 staff working and they were very quick, however, there were a couple of people who just walked up to the bar without queuing (apparently this is their culture where they live) and this caused problems with people waiting their turn and I was disappointed that the bar staff still served them even though people were complaining when they should have been sent to the back of the queue. All staff at reception spoke English and could not do enough for you they were very polite, well dressed and courteous. Sandra, the Thomas Cook rep was available all the time and was very helpful. We hired a car for 40 euros to go to Seville, an hours drive away and this was cheaper than booking a trip through the travel company as it was 40 euros each and we would rather do our own thing. The beach was across the road, yes it was a dual carriageway but not like we would think, it was soooooo quiet you hardly saw any traffic at all and there was a roundabout there so traffic had to slow down anyway, it was no hindrance whatsoever!! Our room was absolutely beautiful on the third floor at the back (so no noise whatsoever) we slept like logs and although the beds were firm I slept better than I do at home and I have a memory foam bed! We went into Punta town which was okay but not a lot there, we also went to Huelva twice which is a bigger town and that was nice also but we would recommend going to Seville, it is a beautiful place and it was nice to get off the resort as we're not people who sit around the pool or beach, we like to go and see different places, but as it was a chilling holiday we needed due to a very stressful few weeks prior to the holiday(my mum in law was very ill and passed away) it was exactly what we needed and I would recommend this hotel. I would go back there sometime in the future but I prefer to try different places and there are lots of placed I want to see first but if wherever I go they have a Barceló hotel I would use them and hopefully they would be as good as this one. I have to say that because it was a last minute holiday we only paid £772 for the two of us when normally, I believe, it's about that per person so that makes this holiday even more enjoyable. I will say however, that we were also advised by Thomas Cook that we were going to Portugal, it was only when I told my sister in law where we were going that she said that it was not Portugal, it was Spain because she had been there herself and said how lovely it was, so we knew prior to departure. I've read a lot of the reviews for this hotel and I am shocked at some of the comments but as in everyday life, no-one experiences the same but I do think that you can't please some people.

Room Tip: We were on the 3rd floor at the back of the hotel and it was so quiet even with the patio doors open...
3  Thank Lwliboots

Distinguished Lwliboots,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

Having been to a Barcelo just down the coast at Isla Christina last year I thought this was a good bet for a similar holiday . How wrong I was . I now would avoid Barcelo at all,cost. The hotel is too big too uncaring too under staffed. On arrival prepare to be herded like cattle at the side of reception as only Spanish can use the front desk. Room was ok but the mighty thomas cook sell a sea view , do not pay this option as there is no sea view option at all .. £ 87 rip off ....our first day was HELL . Thirty deep at the bar ...only two alcoholic drinks at a time ..stupid when the lines are so long... Food was slop... Un washed salad ...bugs in it ... Undercooked chicken ... And it's true you get a shift 1 or 2 token ...I'm glad I was first though as I turned chaotic on shift two ...pool was ok very big ..won't go back .. Book thompsons and other agents as they seem to have taken all thomas cooks best hotels .....fact

4  Thank Darrell M

Distinguished Lwliboots,

Reviewed October 7, 2013

It was a good break though would not go back again to the same place. There wasn't much to do and the hotel lacked entertainment.
Thomas Cook really need to to think about having another rep to represent them, she was awful. She struggled to give you information on the area and just wasn't helpful.
The staff in the hotel were lovely and helped with all queries. The room was lovely and no concerns with noise even though we were on the ground floor.
As a vegetarian really struggled with the food as they didn't have a large option and then it got boring after the second day as you were eating the same thing each day.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank SK1116

Distinguished SK1116,

Reviewed October 6, 2013

Returned from 2 weeks holiday on Thursday 3rd Oct .The hotel was nice the food acceptable although a bit monotonous ,the hotel lacked entertainment with only 2 shows in the auditorium for the 2 weeks we stayed there . There were acts on the outside stage but mainly quizzes ,bingo ,and games .The animation team was good and lead by the untiring Gianni Gravina .There was a fully equipped gym with al kinds of equipment and was free to use .If you are looking for a quiet holiday then this is for you as there was nothing around the area but a few shops and bars . The main town was a 20 minute walk with some shops and bars but not really geared up for holiday makers .The staff were friendly and helpful .The beach was nice when you got there as it was a bit of a walk to reach it . All in all it was a nice break

Room Tip: Our room was on the side of the beach building facing the centre building and had the sun all aftern...
1  Thank Richard W

Distinguished Richard,

Reviewed October 5, 2013

This hotel is lovely! The staff weren't overly friendly but they do get very busy at times so it's understandable. If you want a hotel with entertainment I wouldn't recommend going here. We went for a short 4 night break mid week and left on a Saturday morning. There was hardly any entertainment until the Friday night. All the entertainment was Spanish as well apart from the occasional live act song in English. You won't know whats going on most of the time unless you understand Spanish, which we didn't but we just went along with it.

The hotel complex is huge! There are three buildings to the complex and we were in the beach building which was lovely.

The town is only a 20 minute walk from the hotel and there is a row of shops right out the front. We had to walk to the pharmacy in the town during our stay and the reception were more than helpful writing down translations for what we needed. Do be aware that their siesta is long! It runs from midday to half five!!!

We went all inclusive on a last minute deal so we had the best option and there is no restriction on branded drinks. Our room overlooked the pool and had a balcony near the restaurant but the noise wasn't too bad. All in all not bad but not likely to go again.

Room Tip: Avoid if your are looking for somewhere with English entertainment.
1  Thank Vicky K

#1 of 4 in Punta Umbria
Apartamentos Leo Punta Umbria
Apartamentos Leo Punta Umbria
#1 of 6 in Punta Umbria

Been to Barcelo Punta Umbria Beach Resort? Share your experiences!