“Good first night in Polhena”

Ravana Ridge Polhena
Ranked #87 of 192 Matara B&B and Inns
Telford, United Kingdom
“Good first night in Polhena”
Reviewed February 5, 2013

At usd sixteen booked through Agoda on the web, this is a bit of a no-brainer if it's your first visit to Polhena, and especially if you are arriving late in the day. Rooms are basic, and there's little atmosphere, but the owner is welcoming and there's little to complain about. His wife cooked us good rice-and-curry, decent price, and it gave us a chance to look around.

It might suit you for longer, but my wife likes her snorkelling on the door, and easy access - failed the latter test. So three stars really, but worth the fourth for convenience and the willing owner.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
IroshanKulatunga, General Manager at Ravana Ridge Polhena, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Ravana Ridge Polhena; and your awesome feedback on TripAdvisor.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our property, specially the food. We very much appreciate you recommending our guesthouse and look forward to the pleasure of indulging you with more of our down south hospitality, perhaps in the near future.

Thank you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Busan, South Korea
Reviewed January 30, 2013

The beach road is awash with many guesthouses. Iroshawn made every effort to be a attentive host. My budget room cost me a little over 10 USD for a fan room which was perfectly cool and comfortable for how freaking hot and strong the sun is. I think the rooms go up from there depending on how many occupants you require.

You need to order your food in advance, but everything is reasonably priced and Iroshawn will source you some beer, which, is hard to get so it seems.

I had great conversations with Iroshawn, who patiently sat with me and taught me useful phrases in Sinhalese. He is a rockstar of a host. Strong reliable WiFi and only a 5 minute walk to Polhena beach which is perfect with a little place to buy cigarettes, snacks and soft drinks.

You can also borrow a bicycle to take a ride into Matara. It should cost between 150 -300 LKR to get to Polena from the Matara train station.

If I were to return to Polhena, I wouldn't mess around and just go straight to Ravana Ridge. :D

Room Tip: The budget room has an interior outdoor area (like a skylight but behind a glass door) that lets lot...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
IroshanKulatunga, General Manager at Ravana Ridge Polhena, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Ravana Ridge Polhena; and your gracious and very kind commendation on TripAdvisor.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our property, services. We very much appreciate you recommending our guesthouse and look forward to the pleasure of indulging you with more of our "Hospitality from the Heart". we are definitely looking forward to see you back at our property very soon.
Bournemouth
Reviewed January 22, 2013

I really had a great time at Ravana Ridge. Iroshan and the staff are really friendly. There is free wi-fi and a laptop to use if you haven't brought one or forgotten the leads like me. The food is fantastic. People come from the other guest houses to eat here, especially the famous spaghetti bolognese which is as good as it gets. Iroshan also put on a barbecue banquet one night which was amazing.
My Primary reason for going to Sri lanka was for wildlife photography and I was delighted to find turtles in the shallow sea just outside the hotel They seemed to prefer this area, just away from the main beach. It wasn't long before I took to the water for some snorkelling and was rewarded with some great underwater turtle shots. There is also a myriad of tropical fish on and around the reef a few yards from the guest house gates.The surrounding area is rich in all types of beautiful birds and butterflies. There was even a pair of mating Bengal monitors on the rocks out front!
Whale watching tours can be arranged through Ravana ridge at a competitive price, I went twice and I would definitely recommend it. The boats used are clean and responsible and as a result I saw 20-25 Blue whales (I can't believe I lost count), 2 pods of Spinner dolphins and 2 pairs of mating turtles. The trip includes a generous breakfast but you may see it again a short time later. A little sea sickness is a small price to pay for a very special experience and I slept on the 2 hour steam out the second time and wasn't ill at all.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
iroshank, General Manager at Ravana Ridge Polhena, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
Thank you for staying at the Ravana Ridge Polhena; and your gracious commendation on TripAdvisor.

We are glad you enjoyed your stay at our property, services and of course the food. We very much appreciate you recommending our guesthouse and look forward to the pleasure of indulging you with more of our down south hospitality, perhaps in the near future.

Thank you.