“Lovely and base for exploring Perthshire...”

Review of Elrig House

Kitchen
Kitchen/Dining
Lounge
Lounge
Main Bedroom - Double with en - suite.
Second Bedroom - twin.
Second Bedroom.
Third Bedroom - twin.
View from front.
View from rear garden
View up lane to Elrig House.
Hump back bridge at bottom of lane.
Old Kirk at bottom of lane.
Rear garden.
This property is not available for these dates.
Show all rentals available

French first
Any
shelleya1...
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Lovely and base for exploring Perthshire, unfortunately poor judgement from owner following our departure.”
Reviewed January 5, 2018 for a stay in December 2017
person found this review helpful

Booked this Lovely holiday cottage on Air B & B in August 2017 for Hogmanay 2017. It is in a great location for exploring Pitlochry to the South and Aviemore to the north. Very peaceful location and enjoyed listening to the river and exploring local walks. All appliances in kitchen for cooking a meal and accommodation very comfortable. Would very much have considered returning and recommending to others. I have given 4 stars as the accommodation and location deserve this rating very much so.

Unfortunately following our time there the owner did not leave truthful or accurate review, (which I have never experienced before) about our stay and I would recommend others are wary of this particularly if they have younger children, ours are 18 months and 4 1/2. Feel sad this has happened as it is not accurate or reflective of us as a family at all.
Owner did not respond to my concerns over these allegations which I find unprofessional and judgmental, I would very much liked to have known where the dirty nappies were, and what they consider an untidy state given the cleaning we had done prior to leaving including the kitchen which was sparkling, the towels we used had been washed and hung on the clothes horse in the downstairs bathroom and all the buckets in the house emptied, we even done a hoover on day three of the four day stay. Were we meant to strip and make up the beds, hoover again and clean the bathrooms which were left pretty clean and tidy anyway?. Very confused!

The review left about us was as follows "House wasn't left in a tidy state. Dirty nappies, broken ornament, smudged windows, TV, tables, chairs & work tops. Check out time is 10am, you didn't leave until 10:45. Our cleaner had to wait 45 minutes to assess. Cleaner also spent 5 hours to cleaning up." -

Response from Shelley:
"Hello Lewis, I am afraid that I have to very strongly disagree with this assessment of the cottage and feel very upset and saddened by this response. The cleaner arrived at 9.48am and parked outside, we had vacated and were in the car leaving at 10.23 which I understand is 23 minutes later than 10am however I do not feel totally unacceptable and was certainly not 10.45am as reported to you. We were very aware we were running a bit late 23 minutes, but maybe a bit of compassion and understanding that the 18 month old was crying and upset so I could not help my husband pack the car meaning we would have been away 23 minutes earlier. Dirty nappies, Where?? we ensured all the rubbish was in a large black bag including emptying the buckets from the bathrooms, bedrooms and kitchen. The black bag was left tied in the kitchen given the lack of space in the bin prior to us arriving. Broken ornament in the bedroom which I sincerely apologise for and am very happy to pay for my 18 month old had got her exploring hands on it. Smudges on table, it is a glass table and was wiped and cleaned, sorry there were smudges!!!! Smudges on windows !!!!! Which windows ?? Sorry for knocking on the windows to wave goodbye when grandparents left and when we went walks. I feel that is a bit petty. The kitchen was sparkling after having been wiped down, fridge, cooker and microwave cleaned, with products and left Immaculate. We had even taken all the towels and washed them and hung them on the clothes horse to help out. I am sorry you have felt the need to leave such a negative review I do honestly feel baffled and upset however I have now learnt I will start to take pictures of every cottage with the time I enter before and after we leave. We have stayed in many many cottages all over Scotland in the past 18 years and never ever had such horrible, incorrect feedback. I must say I can only conclude that your cleaner has not been honest about times or cleanliness. We were very aware of being slightly late 23 minutes after 10 am we were driving down the drive. The property would not have taken 5 hours to clean properly to a high standard. It could have been achieved easily in 1-2 hours maximum, personal and previously professional opinion. I am more than happy to discuss further with you directly as you have very much been provided with misinformation by your employee. We had such a lovely stay as well, this is such a shame and very very very wrong."

Anyway as I said before this is a lovely place to stay despite these difficulties, such ashame and untrue but as I said I will take photos wherever I stay from now on, before and after so a good learning experience for me. Sad when employees cannot be trusted, embellish or provide untrue information but that is the owners problem now and hopefully no one else receives such uninformed, inaccurate and untrue reviews in the future. I have a clear conscience, life goes on.
Shelley.

Evelyn485
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Wonderful weekend”
Reviewed September 22, 2017 for a stay in September 2017

Five adults and two dogs shared Elrig over a long weekend and loved the space inside and out. Clean and cosy the house had pretty much everything we required. Lots of pretty walks from the door and the views down the glen from the lounge were amazing. Only a fifteen minute walk to the struan Inn that serves lovely food

Sep 24, 2017
Hi Evelyn, good to hear that you had a great weekend and enjoyed your visit to Elrig House.
Calum S
Antwerp, Belgium
“Lovely house in a brilliant location”
Reviewed June 14, 2017 for a stay in June 2017

Stayed here for a week with friends. Very peaceful and well located. House itself is lovely; clean and with great grounds. Comfortable beds and quality furniture.

Sep 24, 2017
Thank you Calum for your review of Elrig House.Happy to hear that you enjoyed your visit.
Gwen F
Montrose
“Extremely comfortable”
Reviewed January 3, 2017 for a stay in December 2016
person found this review helpful

We stayed here over the New Year holiday and thoroughly enjoyed our visit. The house is lovely and very clean and warm with everything you could possible require. Its close proximity to House of Bruar was great and the hotel at Blair Athol only a few miles away if you wanted to eat out.
Elrig House is by far one of the best rentals we have holidayed in and we will definitely be back.

Jan 4, 2017
Thank you Gwen for your review - so glad you enjoyed your stay at Elrig House.
Weelippy
East Kilbride
“Returning visit ”
Reviewed October 17, 2015 for a stay in October 2015
person found this review helpful

We came and stayed here last year at liked it so much we returned. The best bit about returning is you know your way around and can visit areas and places we missed last year. There is still so much to do that we will be returning. The house is a fabulous location and has all mod cons. A bit of luxury in a beautiful setting. We will be returning (again).

jimmO2750...
Glasgow, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Simply the best”
Reviewed September 16, 2015 for a stay in September 2015

Have stayed at Elrig several times. When we arrived this time the lounge has had new couches a smart TV and carpets all upgraded. It is the best holdiay cattge we have stayed and hope to return soon. Thanks Margaret

Bedding & mattresses Kitchen & utensils
Bathroom cleanliness Other facilities & amenities
Liked best: House is just so comfotable and i sleep great when I am there
Liked least: can't think of anything
Traveling group: Spouse/Partner
Your age range 50-64
Recommended for:
People with disabilities Older travelers
Families with young children People with pets
  • Was the property as advertised?
  • Would you recommend the location of this property?
  • Was it a good value for the price paid?
  • Did the property offer wi-fi/internet access?
  • Was your security deposit returned on time?
Anjybabe
Glasgow
“Perfect”
Reviewed February 25, 2015 for a stay in February 2015

We stayed for two night in this lovely house, I couldn't recommend it high enough to do it justice. We enjoyed a very comfortable stay in this well equipped house, having gone armed with extra blankets, board games etc for the cold scottish dark nights, I needn't have bothered. The rural country setting was perfect and just what we all needed, long walks, flowing river and best of all no light pollution, pitch darkness and cloudless skies, we were all out staring up at the stars for ages.

The old cemetary is well worth a visit and it has a wee pub within walking distance but the opening hours aren't great, but that's to be expected during winter in a rural setting.

The only downside was that our stay was over far to quick.

Traveling group: Extended Family
Your age range 35-49
Feb 27, 2015
Thank you for your review and glad to hear you enjoyed your visit to Elrig House. We think the location is perfect too and as you say it is a special place at night especially on a clear night.The little local pub (The Struan Inn) has limited opening hours as it has new owners - it has been closed for a while which is why we don't mention it on our website. We are hoping there will be more extensive opening during the summer months - meals are available but must be booked in advance. Thanks again for your kind review.
Enter dates for more accurate prices
2 guests
Adults2
Children0
Apply
Do you own a vacation rental? List it here.
Extra income
Easy to manage
Trusted by travelers
Set up your free listing