“VISIT IN WINTER AT YOUR PERIL” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of Dar Zerhoune

Dar Zerhoune
San Pedro de Alcantara, Spain
“VISIT IN WINTER AT YOUR PERIL”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2012

This is written with very mixed emotions, no doubt had the visit been at any other time of the year it would have been acceptable. The price asked is more than fair, the house is clean and the food provided by Hajiba is excellent, she is a very talented cook and an extremely kind person.

I had not taken on board that the owner would not be present and that it is all left to the young and inexperienced Hajiba to attend to the guests. No doubt in her effort not to waste money no heating was put on in the rooms before arrival, nor had the other basic facilities in the room been checked, electricity and hot water. January 2012 was one of the coldest if sunniest winters. It is extremely difficult to concentrate on the pros of Dar Zerhoune when one has only miserable memories of being frozen rigid in sub freezing temperatures, with not even hot water to alleviate the suffering.

There is no shower tray or edging on the brick base and therefore the hot water, which is promised in a minute or less splashes and floods the bathroom floor, in my case hot water never arrived. To add to this misery there was no window in the entire room so once the door was closed, there was no light in the bathroom at all.
The doors to the rooms although decorative, leave a large gap, almost a hands width all around, so that when one pulls the door to at night, noise from outside and light shines in as well as the cold draught from the unheated central well of the house rushes in, it does however permit some air into the windowless rooms.

Other than the Hotel Volubilis there is little accommodation in the area and Moulay Idriss is a charming and very typical Moroccan village. Dar Zerhoune provides clean accommodation at knockdown prices but perhaps some travellers would prefer to pay that little extra to be sure of having at least one hangar to hang ones clothes, two towels rather than just one small hand towel
and have at least one room that was not stuffed with beds, dormitory style.

Dar Zerhoune needs very little to change it from what I would describe as more Backpacker Hostel than Guest House.

Room Tip: If you are crazy enough to travel in the Winter ENSURE there is heating, hot water and that electr...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank scorpioLZ
rosetravels12, Owner at Dar Zerhoune, responded to this review, October 21, 2012
I am very sorry to hear that you did not have a good time with your stay at Dar Zerhoune. However I am pleased that you enjoyed the food and hospitality of Hajiba. She has now returned from maternity leave.

Since you stay I have closed and carried out significant restoration work at Dar Zerhoune. I have damp proofed and insulated the ground floor, I have curtains over each door (as you recommended), I have brought from the UK duvets and electric blankets so the guests are toasty in bed at night. And carried out more training to ensure each room is tocked correctly with towels, blankets, the hot water checked and the heating turned on before guests arrive.

And you are right, that during summer Dar Zerhoune is about 10-20degC less than the outside temperature and it is a very pleasant time to stay then. I trust that the improvements I have made will mean that it is a pleasant time all year round.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

As if the beautiful, comfortable rooms, lovely welcome, yummy breakfast, heater in room and HOT WATER BOTTLE in my bed weren't enough, the full-length mirror in the room made me look really tall and thin!
Had this place all to myself for the price of a dorm bed - amazing! But not for much longer, I feel, once word of this lovely place gets out.

I can't recommend a stay in Moulay Idriss, and Dar Zerhoune, enough.

Room Tip: All of the rooms looked lovely when I had a bit of a nosey around!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank ella232
Thanks for taking the time to post your review for Dar Zerhoune and I am glad you enjoyed your stay here, as well as Moulay Idriss. We look forward to welcoming you back.
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 2, 2012

We had a lovely stay at Dar Zerhoune - stayed here for 4 nights in February. What stood out to us most (and what we loved best) was the service that our hostess Hajiba provided - she truly felt like family. When we arrived at Meknes we were surprised to see her come with the driver to greet us (we had arranged a driver come for us in advance through Dar Zerhoune which I recommend), which was very welcome in a new city especially since we knew very little French, let alone Arabic! Hajiba's management of the house was impeccable, and she made sure to pay attention to every detail including a guide for us in town, as well as a donkey ride. Not to mention she cooked utterly delicious Moroccan meals for us - and because of this we had absolutely no interest to try dinner anywhere else.

The riad itself is decorated tastefully in a traditional Moroccan style which made it very cozy and inviting. Clean guest rooms, and (while it takes a bit to start) - great hot water for showers! Terrace is really picturesque to relax and have tea - we even caught a glimpse of a wedding in town from the terrace one evening. Not to mention a great value for the money.

The only downside is Moulay Idriss can be cold in winter, and the nights can be cooler than you're used to despite portable heaters. The extra hot water bottles provided really helped warm the blankets, so we were very happy for those each night!

All in all, a great stay, highly recommend it to anyone!

Room Tip: Bathroom en suite was nice to have so you didn't have to leave the room to go.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Jenelle J
Thanks for posting a review and I am pleased you enjoyed your stay at Dar Zerhoune, and being taken care of by Hajiba.

We still have the hot water bottles, however we now have duvets and electric blankets to keep guests toasty and warm over winter nights.
Casablanca, Morocco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 5, 2012

I came here as a single female traveler. Rose was amazing even before I arrived, quickly answering lots of questions by email. When I did get to Moulay Idriss, I was comfortable from beginning to end. The room and riad were very clean. The staff at the riad did things like offer me tea, or bring an extra heater (it's chilly in February!) before I could even ask. The dinner was AMAZING, as was the breakfast. I didn't get a chance to use the bikes, but they are in great condition. The booklet of info that is provided is very informative. I was checked up on and made sure I had everything I needed but also given privacy. Rose is super friendly and well-traveled. She is willing to share her experiences but also wants to hear about yours. I would love to return to Dar Zerhoune again!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thanks for your review and we enjoyed your stay as well... we look forward to welcoming you back!!
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 10, 2012

The room is clean. And staying here is truly comfortable. Great value!

• Stayed January 2012
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
thanks for your review and I hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels?
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 1, 2012

we had a really good couple of days and would really recommend it.

• Stayed December 2011
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 28, 2011

Clean, convenient, friendly, great views off the terrace. Only bad thing: we had a lot of trouble opening the front door! Luckily the small boy who lives next door helped us out.

Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
#4 of 43 in Meknes
Riad Amazigh Meknes
Riad Amazigh Meknes
#3 of 43 in Meknes

Been to Dar Zerhoune? Share your experiences!