Dar Zerhoune
Reviewed November 8, 2011

Just returned from 18 days flashpacking around Morocco and during this time stayed in 9 places. We stayed for just one night at Der Zerhoune and were most disappointed.
This is the ONLY NEGATIVE review I have posted.
Having read other reviews we may have just been unlucky, though I do feel that some genuine thoughts be given here. The place is comfortable but a little shabby, and the decoration is not particularly good. We had an evening meal on the terrace - presented as a chicken tagine in the traditional pot, but this was clearly reheated chicken from the refrigerator......the outside hot, but the inside very cold although cooked. We should have sent it back but didn't and survived to tell the tale. We booked breakfast for 0800 hours but nobody appeared at the house before 0830 (I think staff live off the premises) making breakfast very late. I am not a moaner and we stay in a huge range of places across the continents so are not expecting anything for nothing.......but this was a poor experience for us - the only one we had in 18 days

Room Tip: ours had no windows, poor decoration, weak shower,....and no way of locking the door.,
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank petersclan241
rosetravels12, Owner at Dar Zerhoune, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2011

Thank you for taking the time to post a review and we are sorry that you did not have an experience that was to the standard you expected. We know this is your only negative review and we have taken action based on your comments, to make the improvements for other guests. We would appreciate if you were to contact us directly to ensure we understand all the issues you experienced.

Reviewed November 1, 2011

We stayed 2 nights at Dar Zerhoune and found it comfortable and friendly. We ate in on the first night, which was very good. Unfortunately on the second night we did not ask if we could have dinner until rather late too late in the evening for the house manager to cook for us, but she organised us an alternative place to eat - la Columbe Blanche - which was also very good. We visited Volublis and wandered around Moulay Idriss, which seemed very quiet and peaceful after Fes! I would recommend this guesthouse and Moulay to anyone visiting Morocco.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed Dar Zerhoune and Moulay Idriss. We are sorry that we were not able to provide you with a meal on your second night and we are glad that you enjoyed where we recommended.

Reviewed October 31, 2011

We spent just one night in this delightful guesthouse and would happily recommend it to other travellers.
Sadly, owner Rose was not present when we visited but lovely manager Hajiba looked after us (despite herself being ill) She brought us refreshments upon arrival, helped with our luggage and presented a delicious Moroccan breakfast on the glorious roof terrace.
Our children greatly appreciated the WIFI, whilst we appreciated the views, the excellent location (2 minutes from the mausoleum) and the comfortable rooms. As an un-hosted house, guests keep their door keys to Dar Zerhoune and simply come and go as they please. We found this relaxed attitude charming, especially as we knew that, should we need her, Hajiba was only a telephone call away.
It is obvious that Rose has put much love into the dar (there are pretty decorative touches throughout, board-games, guidebooks and comfortable lounging spaces). It is also evident that she is at home here: many people seem to know her and the guesthouse locally. We had no trouble having an evening meal at another local guest house (recommended by Hajiba) and found a very informed and trustworthy guide who showed us the nearby Roman baths, the Roman aqueduct, the medina and fabulous hilltop views down to the mausoleum. Volubilis at dusk was an experience not easily forgotten. Many thanks to all at Dar Zerhoune.

Room Tip: Not all rooms have en suite bathrooms.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family

Thank you for your review and that you enjoyed being in Moulay Idriss and meeting the locals. As you commented, yes we have ensuites to our single, double and triple rooms, and the dorm/family room has single beds and a separate bathroom.

Reviewed October 30, 2011

I had wonderful experience at Dar Zerhoune & I most definately will make a return trip.

Location is wonderful, just minutes from the mausouleum, with spectacular views of surrounding mountains & Volubilis. I cannot emphasis this enough as I could not help but sketch these picturesque views & I hadn't sketched for 10 years! The roof terrace is wonderful, calm, relaxing, serene... just what I was after for my stay in Moulay Idriss.

The bedroom was beautifully decorated & very neat & clean. There is ample relaxing space...spacious roof terrace, spacious lounge (great to get out of the sun & cool down), lobby & general living areas were very roomy. The overall vibe was very chilled out & relaxed, my whole stay was wonderful.

I managed to visit Volubilis twice! The first time, I got a taxi there as it was very hot & I walked back to the village, the second time I used a bike from the guesthouse. This really added to my trip, it felt great to freewheel out of the village & I highly recommend you experience it!

The breakfast buffet was something I constantly looked forward to... delicious mint tea (you get this on arrival too! along with local nougat - what a welcome!) or coffee, various local pastries & breads which I wont attempt to spell, delicious honey, jam & fruit (some I had never seen before! but wonderful that I could try them!)

Food was exceptional, I stayed 4 days and ate in Dar Zerhoune only once unfortunately! I tried various restaurants in the town & Dar Zerhoune was by far the best. The location alone... eating lunch on the roof terrace makes it a winner, & when you add the tasty 3 courses, and reasonable price into the mix - noone could compare to it.

Staff are as helpful as they can be, & will organise guided tours, Hasiba was so polite, courteous, and always smiling. I did a guided tour of Moulay town & it was great, really worthwhile & a lovely way to spend a few hours.

Overall, this was a wonderful relaxing holiday in a spectacular city, I will be back! And I look forward to staying at Dar Zerhoune again :)

Room Tip: The room on the ground floor is the coolest in hot weather
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends

Thank you for your comments and I am really glad that you enjoyed your stay at Dar Zerhoune and Moulay Idriss Zerhoune

Reviewed October 17, 2011

After travelling Morocco in search of the country's best tagine, we never expected to find it in Moulay Idriss. The setting of Dar Zerhoune is picture perfect for lunch on the terrace, and the food is a steal compared to other places, but the quality in superb. A spread of Moroccan salads, followed by a beef tagine with prunes and almonds and a platter of desserts. We were more than impressed and will be recommending it to friends.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and we are glad that you enjoyed the meal as part of your day trip to Moulay Idriss and Volubilis. You were the first guests we had that were on a day trip and we hope to welcome more!

Reviewed August 21, 2011

I have been to there just one night but felt like at home because Rose is very friendly and warm. She took me to a great restaurant at the top of Moulay Idriss and introduced me to new people. She also served a perfect Moroccan breakfast. It was delicious! If I go back there again, I will definitely stay there! Btw From the hostel, you can walk to the Roman Remainings. It is worth seeing!

Room Tip: Rooms are nice, comfortable. You can find ree towel and everything you can find from a hostel is ava...
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled solo

Thank you for your review, and we are glad that you enjoyed your stay.

Reviewed August 16, 2011

Dar Zerhoune provided us a wonderful experience in Morocco. It is a small guest house, but Rose, the owner, made us feel truly special. She found us an English speaking guide, helped us order a delicious dinner after the Ramadan fast had broken, made arrangements for me to go to the local hammam, and served us a delightful breakfast of coffee, tea, fresh fruit, various local breads, jam, butter, cheese and olive oil, so fresh it tasted like the best fresh olives. The best way to make reservations is to write directly to derzarhoune@googlemail.com. We received a very prompt reply. And we loved our stay here!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and we are glad you enjoyed your stay at Dar Zerhoune, and Moulay Idriss Zerhoune.