“I am 50/50”

Uji Walking Tour with Tea Ceremony from Kyoto
Ranked #1 of 91 things to do in Uji
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Temple near Kyoto; famous statue of seated Buudha by 11th-century sculptor, Jocho.
Reviewed April 1, 2014

I have read the reviews and pretty divided about this place - a lot due to the fact that Phoenix Hall is closed and the fee is quite high (considering a backpacking budget and also so much more other things to do and see) I went in anyway because this is a Unesco heritage site. I am still unsure if I gotten my money's worth. The main hall facing the lake is nice, the museum is pretty small but pretty and a couple of this and that building. But since I went all the way to Uji, I thought I had to go in.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,197)

Reviewed March 2, 2014

When we went there, the construction work was still on. However, the place itself (minus the temple covered in scaffolding) was really pretty. I could imagine if the temple was not under construction, it would have been very very pretty. We didn't regret visiting Byodoin though we didn't get to see the temple. The museum was a very good compensation too. Of course, it depends if you enjoy museums, but if you don't mind museum, I think you'll find yourself spending more time than you planned to in there :) I will definitely go back to see the temple next time I visit Uji.

1  Thank Wendy C
Reviewed August 25, 2013

This temple is under renovation and it can not be visited. Large scaffolding completely hide the temple including the roof. A modern museum can be visited nearby and this old Japanese relics. Do not waste your time if your program is busy.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

This year they were doing a renovation so we did not enter the temple. Went last year and it is such a beautiful temple with beautiful grounds to visit.

Reviewed July 1, 2013

This ancient temple is a gem of Uji, the Phoenix Pavillion is beautiful so make sure to join tour to see its interior, the modern underground museum is also good, and a great way to display ancient artifacts.