“lunch time with friends”

Whinstone View Bistro
Ranked #7 of 14 Restaurants in Great Ayton
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was a first visit to this delightful setting. We were with friends who had previously visited. The food was ok, we had soup and a sandwhich which was hot and tasty soup, the staff did mix up the orders and did not offer to correct it but we managed. Overall ok lovely setting and will try again in the nicer weather to enable us to sit outside in the lovely gardens.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

I've not been to this Bistro in such a long time I'd almost forgotten it existed. I have friends who have stayed at the lodges and enjoyed their stays (especially the hot tubs!) so when a friend suggested we go for lunch as "she has never been disappointed with the food" I thought why not? Indeed there is a good selection of food, superb (local) ingredients well cooked and presented. So would I make a return visit - definitely! The only drawbacks were I felt the staff could of been a little more welcoming and to put put in a darkened corner away from the rest of the guests - why, whats that all about?

1  Thank Jane187
Michael K, Manager at Whinstone View Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2013

Hello Jane187
Thank you for taking the time for your review.
I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your food and that you will be returning again.
However I would be interested to know when you did visit as I am very surprised that the staff were subdued as this is something that I have been working to change since becoming manager.
Regarding being put in the corner the only reason for this is if there were a few tables in then we do try to space everyone out instead of being all huddled together.
I would welcome a reply via email or telephone.

Thanks

Reviewed December 31, 2012

Well what can I say about this hidden gem apart from amazing.....!!!
We have stayed her many of times and ever time it has exceeded our expectations. New years eve was our best stay so far to be honest. We were expecting a good nigh as always but this night was amazing.
The food was outstanding, they even catered for my 10 year old son and dog.....yes dog....the atmosphere was electric and the staff were fantastic. Micheal, the manager, was totally amazing. Nothing was too much bother for him, he made my son feel like he was the most important person in the place and catered to our every need. At the stroke of midnight we watched the fireworks and all had a "shot" to see in the new year. Micheal even made a none alcoholic version for my son.
The lodges, as always were stunning, nice and warm and welcoming with a bottle of champaign chilling for us on arrival. The standard of these are first class and they are exceptionally clean and immaculate. I would strongly recommend this fantastic family run business to everyone.

1  Thank Kelly W
Michael K, Manager at Whinstone View Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Hello Kelly
Thank you for taking the time to write your review. I am delighted that you and your family including Alfie the dog had a great night and it was a pleasure to have you all here on New Years.
Thank you once again for your kind words.

Michael

Reviewed November 23, 2012

We went to this restaurant for a celebratory Sunday Lunch as we have happy memories of it being top class restaurant. My concerns were raised when we arrived as it was not as full as we expected.
The main courses meat with Yorkshire Puddings ( this Yorkshire don't forget) and 3 small roast pototoes which was OK I suppose.
However - the accompanying vegetables one small bowl of boiled cabbage and a bowl of diced and sauted vegetables.We still can't agree on what they were, swede and carrots was the most probable.There were more than 4 of us in our company so it was totally inadequate. We started eating , I naturally thought a further selection of vegetables would arrive shortly , which it never did. We are that much maligned group of people who don't complain, say nothing - and don't go back until someone we trust informs that things have changed.
I would say to this restaurant , Sunday lunch is a hearty meal which should be accompanied by fresh , colour - full vegatables and for a restaurant to present this sort of fare, falls greatly below the line, which locals and visitors expect and should expect.
It is to be hoped that the restaurant reviews it's menu-policy quickly, to provide a selection of seasonal vegaetables, goodness knows vegatables are cheap enough !!
Also, the inablity of staff to be able to communicate in a friendly welcoming manner added to the less than pleasant overall experience.
My only other observation is perhaps the establishment has,perhaps , changed hands ,which may account for the fallin standards

1  Thank Northernerp

Dear Sir
I am sorry to hear that your visit to us was not up to standard and for this I do apologise.
We do use seasonal vegetables when we can with our Sunday roasts and the fact that what you received was inadequate in quantity and quality I am sorry.
I would encourage you to try us again and by all means if you would like to speak in person or on the phone I would welcome this.
Apologies for the delay in responding to you unfortunately I have had some problems signing onto the page.

Regards
Michael

Reviewed October 29, 2012

We arrived at Whinstone View and we were pleasently surprised, the location and setting was very impressive..... A HIDDEN GEM
The staff are very knowledgeable and attentive and most importantly service with a big smile :)
The restaurant was full and the atmosphere buzzing
The food was excellent perfectly cooked and portioned. The desserts also light and fresh giving a perfect ending to an excellent meal.
We will be returning very soon as we had only compliments for everything about the eveing.