“Quiet birthday meal, good food & service”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Dudley Arms

Dudley Arms
Ranked #4 of 14 Restaurants in Great Ayton
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Off-Street Parking, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom
“Quiet birthday meal, good food & service”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2014 via mobile

My family and I went in a sunday evening for a quiet birthday tea. I love the decor and the rustic scene in the restaurant. The service was brilliant as the staff are very friendly and cooperative. We were served straight away and all of the food was fresh. The chicken parmesans are quite large, they use big chicken breasts that aren't flattened to a pulp like in other restaurants.
The only issue we had was the waitress mixed up the medium steak and the medium well steak. Even though these were specified the medium was well medium well and the medium was well done. So my fiance ended up with a very well done steak when he had ordered the medium. I understand the waitress had mixed them up but nevertheless they weren't cooked as ordered. Therefore my fiance didn't enjoy his chewy meal ans said he was disappointed, it had gone 'down hill' and would never return.
But on a more positive note everyone else included myself thoroughly enjoyed our food. The potato skin starters were a bit too crunchy but the fresh garlic bread made up for that.
Overall the service was of a high standard and I would definitely recommend this place.

Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Terrible service and food”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 20, 2014

It'd been a few years since I'd been here for a meal and back then it was a lovely meal in the banquet hall. However, on this occasion I took my boyfriend for Sunday lunch and it turned out to be one of the worst we've had. We were in a featureless bistro on the side not the main hall (this was a big part of going there to show him the hall so I was really disappointed by not having the meal in there). The staff seemed to be lacking in basic serving skills in not knowing how to place the plates upon bringing them for the starter, leaving plates they couldn't carry on adjacent tables and even dropping a knife and butter from an adjacent table on the floor that stayed there with staff walking over it as thought it wasn't even there until my partner decided to pick it up and put it on a plate!

The starter was ok, if somewhat basic (again when I'd been a few years back the starters were quite impressive, not at all like this time). The main course yorkshire's were VERY tough, the meat very rubbery so much that I had to give my partner my knife to cut his beef. The pheasant I had was also tough but at least I could cut it with the knife. The vegetables were also bland, no real flavour to them. The reason I gave this a rating of 2 not 1 was because they did allow us to change the dessert from what was advertised, my partner had the melon with orange sorbet as a dessert instead of a starter as listed and I got ice cream with my hot apple crumble. However, the icecream wasn't homemade but the stuff out of a plastic tub. The crumble was well made but the apple was flavourless. We felt sorry for the little girl on the table next to us as she had the melon also but they'd forgot to put the orange sorbet on her dish. We were also disappointed that the coffee machine was broken so we couldn't finish our meal with a latte.

Overall I'd probably say avoid this place for Sunday lunch, it may have been a great place once over but it's lost that charm and is not up to scratch any more. We won't be back, which is a shame as I really liked this place on previous visits.

1 Thank David P
“Average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Hadn't visited for 20 years and hasn't changed, decor creates a fantastic atmosphere, but food was meh. . Living off old old reputation.
Had a great steak but lacked anything else on plates, needs twice as many sides . . Lacks that extra Something
Please sort the toilets the local council ones are cleaner

1 Thank Yorkshire_Marco_Polo
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birthday Treat”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 7, 2014

Wanted somewhere special to take my wife for her birthday. Needed to eat early and the Dudley Arms came up trumps.The staff were very helpful, but the restaurant was not open and we were shown to The Bistro.....a featureless cafe at best. My wife would have a decaf.....oh oh, a tasteless cup of something from a "pod". OK tried again, "sorry no pots of decafe only a "pod", OK the meal came, nothing special in the starters, but the steak was lovely, chips/jacket potato n salad were a disappointment, then the desert, Pavlova, it was tasteless. Overall not good value for money, restaurant prices for cafe meal.

1 Thank Lesley G
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
“Fab food,”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

I love this place !
Food is always gorgeous, staff and service fast and done with a smile.
Restaurant is a little dark and so is the bar, it needs brightening up somewhat.
If your ever passing it is well worth a visit,
Probably better to book as its busy most days over the weekend.
I would recommend this pub/restaurant to anyone wanting a great steak, parmo, or mussels.
Its not cheap, but food is plentiful and I have never had a bad meal here after going for years.

• Visited December 2013