“Well concealed gem”

Number 5 Coffee House
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Number 5 Coffee House changed to new ownership on 14 August 2017. Thanks to all our loyal customers over the last 8 years. Good luck to Fiona and the staff.
“Well concealed gem”
Reviewed October 18, 2013 via mobile

Followed the trip advisor reviews to this little gem. Wouldn't have found it otherwise, but very glad we did. Great cakes and coffee!

1 Thank iFeedback

Yarm on Tees, null, United Kingdom
“Birthday Treat”
Reviewed October 13, 2013

Mam took me for Afternoon Tea yesterday, and it was lovely. The food was gorgeous, couldn't eat it all so they gave us a 'doggy bag' to finish later. The staff were so friendly and welcoming, many customers seemed to be there on a regular basis.
Mam had rang ahead to say it was my birthday, so they decorated our table with silver stars and put a candle in my scone...A lovely personal touch !! Will def return x

• Visited October 2013
Middlesbrough
“Simply the best. Better than all the rest”
Reviewed October 10, 2013

I can't believe the curate's egg comments and I'm not a friend or family member, just a regular customer who keeps coming back for the delicious food and excellent service. The staff are always friendly and make sure that all their guests are looked after and get what they want. Everything is home made and I've never had anything that was less than lovely. When you share a sandwich it comes on separate plates with its own crisps and salad( as much as if you had a full portion each}. You can have half a bowl of soup and half a sandwich if you want. If you share a sandwich you can have different fillings in the 2 halves and if that isn't attention to detail and customer wants I don't know what is! The other lovely thing is that you get seasonal treats. recently every table has had a small basket of home grown plums and apples for customers to have or take away. At Easter you get a chick with your coffee and a small Easter egg, on Valentine's day you get small heart shaped biscuits with whatever you order. It's such attention to detail and customer care that makes this the best café I've ever been to anywhere in the world. And I'll wrestle anyone who says differently!

• Visited October 2013
Lincolnshire, England
“A lovely spot”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was my second visit in as many years, and on both occasions straight after conquering Roseberry Topping and Captain Cook's Monument. On both occasions this has been like an Oasis in the Desert and I am slightly baffled by the two most recent negative(ish) reviews. Each time I have been welcomed warmly, and have been served a tip top Cappuccino and great cake whilst resting my aching limbs.

I haven't tried any of the other food on offer but if it is as good as the cakes then you won't go far wrong. This is a friendly place with great food, I recommend it.

• Visited August 2013
1 Thank MattfromLincolnshire
Newton Aycliffe, United Kingdom
“Curate's Egg”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I'm beginning to slightly despair at the Tripadvisor site. Not for the first time have we visited somewhere after reading great reviews only to find that the place is OK at best. The Number 5 Coffee House was another one of those places where they advertise their great Tripadvisor reviews on their door but you start to suspect that their friends or family are the ones who've written great things about them. Don't get me wrong, it wasn't awful, just "good in parts" like the curate's egg. We visited at lunchtime & in the 30 minutes that we were there, we overheard them messing up a sandwich order at another table, they'd already run out of jacket potatoes (one of the main snacks they provide) & run out of coleslaw (only telling my step-daughter this when they brought her meal to the table. My wife's ham salad was a bit on the small side too. As a result of no jacket potatoes, I ordered a slice of coffee cake & millionaires shortbread. The shortbread wasn't nice & the coffee cake didn't impress either ... but I'm aware that that is just my opinion ... maybe I'm being overcritical. On the plus side, the staff seemed a bit overrun & did apologise for certain foods on the menu not being available, the ham on the ham salad was very tasty, extra crisps were provided for the lack of coleslaw, the cafe was clean & had a lovely outside eating area at the side & the staff were very pleasant. They did do their best & maybe we just visited at a bad time.

• Visited August 2013