“SUPERB!”

Number 5 Coffee House
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: Number 5 Coffee House changed to new ownership on 14 August 2017. Thanks to all our loyal customers over the last 8 years. Good luck to Fiona and the staff.
Reviewed December 22, 2012

Afternoon Tea for Two! What a pleasurable experience with top-class service, beautiful food wonderfully presented and excellent VFM easily beats those expensive and often overrated afternoon teas in London. You can never go wrong in Number 5, highly recommended! Thank you.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Wonderful afternoon tea, excellent service and staff are helpful, tiyr choice of cakes and sandwiches are explained to you by the lovely owner and all home baking. Just wish it was a bit bigger then more people could enjoy it!

Reviewed October 13, 2012

Having unfortunately spent the whole summer recuperating from an operation I had a lot of time on my hands. Going to number 5 became the high light of my summer. I went at least once per week, often more. I love the fact that the menu changes daily both in terms of the cakes and savoury food; I often get bored with menus but it is impossible to do so here. The afternoon tea is delicious, extremely plentiful, beautifully presented and extremely good value for money at a little over £15 for 2, including unlimited drinks refills. Although I have a big appetite I have never managed to eat all of number 5's afternoon tea, and always go home with my left overs boxed up for later. You can even share 1 afternoon tea between 2. All of the cakes and scones are homemade and very fresh, which is not always the case in other places. I've noticed that a lot of the produce for example eggs, ham, vegetables and fruit are sourced locally. The outdoor courtyard is a lovely sun trap, although admittedly I did not get much opportunity to use it this summer because of the rain! There is even an undercover area for customers to leave bikes and pushchairs. Inside the cafe is very clean and bright and the toilets are very thoughtfully stocked with special soap, hand cream and individual hand towels. The staff are very warm and friendly, and nothing ever seems to much trouble for them. The owner Victoria who is also the very talented chef, nearly always comes out from her busy kitchen to greet her customers and make sure everyone is happy. She always has a friendly word for all of her customers old and new, and her lovely staff seem to follow her lead. It can be daunting going in a cafe by yourself but they are so kind and thoughtful to people like my dad who is often by himself whilst mums at work. Dad has a medical condition which can sometimes mean he is a little confused and we often worry when he is by himself, but we have total peace of mind when he is at number 5 because they are so patient and kind to him right from the very first time he went in and they didn't know him. My only disappointment is that they don't open on a Monday which is my day off, but I guess this hard work and conscientious team deserve a day off as well! All in all a wonderful coffee house, with a warm and welcoming atmosphere, excellent service and superb food. A delightful place to visit, but don't take my word for it, go and find out for yourself. (It's only a small place so can often be full, but well worth popping back later)

Reviewed October 10, 2012

We've been to Number 5 a few times now when visiting sister and brother in law who live locally.

This is one of the friendliest cafes you're likely to visit. The staff are attentive and cheerful and when the boss comes to front of house she's a bundle of chat and smiles. Lots of light hearted banter with customers of all ages, regulars and visitors alike.

I've only had the coffee which is excellent, and there's a wide range of other drinks which I'm told are equally good. There are plenty of items for a light lunch, along with a good choice of cakes and scones.

If you really want a treat then go for the afternoon tea ... knockout! Make sure you leave plenty of time for this, as you'll need it. Most people can't eat everything that arrives at the table, so you'll be able to take some home with you, and tea and coffee will be refilled as you need it.

Not as posh as Betty's ... but a lot better value.

Reviewed September 13, 2012

The homemade soup is excellent.A very friendly place especially when you are on your own.For a change on my last visit I had the Quiche, that was first class !!!!