“Great food, but don't visit if you want a quick meal!”

No photo provided
Cuisines: Asian, Indian
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Waitstaff
Dining options: Dinner, Delivery, Reservations, Waitstaff
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“Great food, but don't visit if you want a quick meal!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

My boyfriend and I visited this restaurant on a saturday night. The menu is a mix of Chinese and Indian food, where there is the option of an a la carte menu or an all you can eat option for £17. We went for the all you can eat option. You order from a main menu and the dishes are bought freshly cooked to your table.

There are over 200 dishes to choose from and a good variety is available. All the dishes tasted very fresh.On arrival we were given popadoms, prawn crackers and dips. To start I had vegetable samosas, vegetable dumplings and seaweed. All were very nice. When we ordered our mains we were advised to order Indian food as there was a 45 minute wait for Chinese dishes. I ordered a vegetable methi, a vegetable chilli massala, a samba and kashmiri nice. I especially enjoyed the methi as it was unlike anything I had eaten before- very aromatic and an unusual balance of herbs and spices. The chilli massala was nothing special as it was just a bog standard curry sauce with chillis in it. The other dishes were well cooked.

On the whole the food was very, very good. The reason that I did not give it a 4 was because the service was very, very slow. It took at least 20 minutes between finishing one course and having our orders taken. We ended up being there for about 2.5 hours. They were however very, very busy. All of the waiters were very polite when taking our orders despite being clearly rushed off their feet. I am likely to visit again, but I would go on a week day night where I would imagine it would be far less busy. You also get a discount if you're seated before 6.30pm. Great for groups/ couples who cannot agree if they want a Chinese or an Indian!

• Visited February 2013

Writtle, United Kingdom
“The Restaurant on the Green - Writtle”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 2, 2012

Living in Writtle we visit here quite frequently as its generally good food and convenient; however since it's change of ownership/name last year we only use it for takeaway.

The restaurant itself has changed names and menus so many times in recent years, it does make you wonder what's wrong... When we first moved to Writtle three years ago it was called "Shafique", and I think then it had only recently changed from being "Essence". Though up until recently it was always the same owners just changing the name for a revamp and a bit of publicity (the owners told us that themselves). As Shafique, it was solely Indian food, the food and service was brilliant, and we would regularly book group parties for a sit-down meal.

However about August 2011, they had some new joint-owners come in who changed the name to "Joy" alongside the layout and cuisine to include a Chinese menu also. We went there twice within the next few months for parties and both times was majorly unimpressed by the food and service of the new staff. We began to boycot the restaurant after this, and travel to the other side of Chelmsford to get our take-out.

Then again in the summer of 2012, there was another name change and revamp, this time to "The Restaurant on the Green" and with this revamp camp another menu change, a new lounge area inside, and more new staff. We thought that we'd give them another shot as really it was convenient having them so close to us. Going back we found both some more positive and negative changes... First off, the inside does look alot better, it's not as cramped as before, and the new way of running the buffet is alot better (you now pay a buffet price, but have your food choices freshly cooked and brought out to your table rather than going up to the buffet table and finding lukewarm, soggy food), the Indian food was alot tastier again, which was a huge plus, though we did find that the Chinese was still really greasy and not very flavourful (we've given it a few tries now, and is always the same). They have upped the menu price by about £4-5pp to accommodate this recent revamp, which seems a bit harsh, especially considering I had a menu which had been put through my door less than a month earlier under the old name, offering the buffet for £5 less, plus 25% off the total bill if you booked mon-thurs but I suppose they need to make their money back somehow, and I appreciate that it's a "different business" now.

We have since gone back to using the place regularly for Indian take-out, you do find that their more interested in their seating customers than takeout, and once they realise your not sitting down, the spark kind of goes from their eyes. Also the waitress who takes the orders for take-out is very rude and abrupt. We go there about once a month, and it's always the same women, who is very snarky and snappy, and makes you feel like your an inconvenience for not choosing the restaurant. The only reason we keep going back is a combination of the good Indian food and convenience of being opposite our house. Chinese-wise however, we still make the journey to the other side of Chelmsford as it is well worth the extra travel to go elsewhere for that.

• Visited November 2012
Writtle, United Kingdom
“All you can eat cooked fresh to your table Indian & or Chinese £14.95 WOW”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went to “The Restaurant on the Green” formally called “Joy” Sunday 18th November and must say what a fantastic meal we had and what a good deal. The Restaurant has an extensive Chinese & Indian menu and for £14.95 PH you can order as much as you like from both Indian and Chinese and this is not a buffet the food you order is cooked fresh and served at your table if you want more starters or mains just ask and they will keep bringing it as you order. I had some Indian starters and my main was Chinese the food was hot tasty and good quality. The restaurant is well laid out with a good atmosphere and has been awarded a 5 star rating by the council for food hygiene. The owner of this place for many years and his staff are polite and helpful. I am not related or paid to write this review just a local resident who thinks this restaurant deserves more customers to see what they are missing out on.

• Visited November 2012