“If you like your food then you will like The Tides”
Review of The Tides

The Tides
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Holetown
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, European
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Families with children, Scenic view, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Swindon
“If you like your food then you will like The Tides”
Reviewed May 13, 2010

We were nicely greeted and taken to our table, our waitress introduced herself and although she did appear to be new to her job she was very proffessional and hard working. The service throughout the evening was faultless, from all the staff. There were a number of different people involved in serving us and they were all very polite.

The food was AMAZING. I ordered sauteed bay scallops with ginger scented stir fried vegetables and a chargrilled sushi rice cake - it came with the most amazing soy & coriander reduction. I am not a seafood person at all, but something about Barbados is changing me... The scallops were lovely and everything else on the plate complimented it perfectly, is was so full of flavour and I loved it!

We only had a main each, as we had just come from our hotel's cocktail party which included canapes (my advice is not to book at the tides the same evening as your hotel's "manager's drinks" evening, as we really wish we could have eaten more!) Although we did share a pudding, it was called the Tidation, my wife ordered this and she said that the menu didn't mention coffee, but it certainly contained some. Not a massive grudge there, but she wouldn't have ordered it if she had known this. It did, however, look and taste great!

If you have an interest in art then there are lots of paintings and mosaics on the walls from local artists, most of which are for sale. It's worth arriving early, having a drink at the bar and taking a look at what's available.

The Tides isn't cheap, but I still rate them very good for value, as they are offering a great product and I don't mind paying for it. Neither did many other people, as the place was pretty full considering it was off-season. For an idea of prices:

Starters: $25-65 Bds
Mains: $78-95 Bds
Glass of wine: $20+ Bds
Tidation (Dessert): $30

Liked best: The food - that reduction was amazing!
Liked least: (Being picky here) The fact that we think the coffee wasn't mentioned on the dessert menu for the Tidation (although it was still very good!)

1 Thank DarcyPigPig

Los Angeles
“Below my expectations”
Reviewed April 27, 2010

We ate in many great restaurants in Barbados, but reading all the reviews, I was expecting a lot more from Tides. Yes, the setting is beautiful and the atmosphere is relaxing. We were a group of 6 people, and all of us were somewhat disappointed with our food. In addition, it was very overpriced.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“Top quality restaurant for food, service and position - recommended”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

Faultless restaurant. Ate there twice and both times the food was of outstanding quality and the choice was wide. Service very attentive from the moment we arrived and were shown to our table. Great position adjacent the beach.

Second time we were one table in from the balustrade and without being they offered to move us to one by the balustrade (right next to the water) shortly after one became free. Some acquaintances of ours were elsewhere in the restaurant several rows back from the sea so we suggested they be moved to the free table. The restaurant manager moved us both! Brilliant service.

Not cheap but you dont go there for a budget meal. Very highly recommended as one of the best three restaurants we have eaten in worldwide.

Omaha, Nebraska
“Great Restaurant”
Reviewed February 27, 2010

We dined at six different restaurants while we were in Barbados, and this was by far the best. We had a nice table near the water. The food was excellent, the service was very good and the staff was pleasant and helpful.

England
“Great food but the service and atmosphere are an acquired taste!”
Reviewed February 26, 2010

We went to the restaurant on our last night in Barbados in Feb 2010, we had made our reservation 5 days previously through our hotel concierge. We booked an early table (7.30 p.m) and when we arrived there were only 3 other tables in use in our part of the restaurant, so we asked if we could have a table on the Ocean rail, we were told rather sniffily that the reservations for the first line had been made in January!! (to be fair this was true because we checked with some other diners afterwards) but for me it was the way this was said which angered me. The food was very good I have to admit, but I can't say it was so memorably better than many other restaurants in Barbados for the money (we dined in different restaurants each night during our 2 week stay). What I felt really let it down was the atmosphere and the service - The staff were overly formal and stuffy and, I agree with another reviewer - obtrusive, they were constantly coming to top up our wine glasses, clear side plates, wipe crumbs away etc. etc.
The final thing for me though which left a bad taste was, on paying the bill, we paid in American Dollars (which is widely accepted in Barbados) and again widely accepted (and I mean widely accepted) is the rate across the island at that time was 2 BD $ for 1 American $ - we calculated on this basis only to be told Tides operate a rate of 1.97 BD $ for 1 American $ - tacky or what? It wasn't about the money as Tides isn't cheap, but left me feeling this was just another way for Tides to get a few extra cents out of each customer - bit of a PR own goal i'd say.