“Superb again” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Tides

The Tides
Ranked #2 of 41 Restaurants in Holetown
Cuisines: Caribbean, Seafood, European
Good for: Romantic, Scenic view, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Families with children, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Valet Parking, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
North Yorkshire, United Kingdom
“Superb again”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

The Tides is once again my favourite all round restaurant in Barbados and we've visited all the major ones. Yes, the Cliff is in a class of its own, but there are several in the next 'division', and I'm including Tides, Cin Cin, Champers, Lone Star, Daphnes, The Fish Pot and a couple of others.

This time, we visited twice. On our second visit, three out of our party of 5 had the blackened catch of the day. All three said it was easily the best fish they had ever had. One went as far as saying it was probably the best meal of his life. Now, these are people who have eaten at the best London and NYC restaurants, not novices. At $80 for such a memorable dish, it was very good value.
I had prawn curry which was served in a coconut shell and was creamy and quite spicy. One a second visit, the fillet steak was superb, served on mash. At $97, it is cheaper than fillet steak virtually anywhere.
For me, a big highlight was the Spiced Crab Corn Chowder which was simply the best soup I'd ever had and for $26 a bargain.
Wines are reasonably priced, with a nice Chilean Merlot coming in at $72 and a Pinot Grigio for roughly the same.

This was our 6th visit to Tides which I find consistently great in quality. We finally briefly met the head chef and owner, Guy Beasley who worked for the Roux brothers. Highly recommended and is always the highlight of my stay in Barbados.

London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Perfect wedding reception venue and amazing cuisine!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2014

My wife and I held our wedding reception at the Tides in August 2014. We had booked the restaurant the year before having fallen in love with the place as soon as we saw it. It is on the west coast (Platinum coast) of Barbados and is located on the beaches edge. It is set in a stunning location. The owners Tammy and Liz corresponded regularly with us by email in the year prior to the event keeping us updated on menu changes, wine lists, table plans, dj etc. . Every detail was accounted for so that when we arrived to finalise the reception everything was in place and there were no nasty surprises. When it came to preparing the venue for the reception they were superb and they arranged all the decorations and balloons etc. that we supplied as we wished and it was truly breath taking for us to walk in and see it transformed.

There were over 60 guests present and we began with a cocktail hour for arriving guests with a selection hors d' oeuvres ,which were lovely, followed by a three course meal. The food was amazing. The one constant comment from friends and family present was the quality of the food. I can't praise the chef enough.

The service from the staff present on the night was superb. There was always someone present to top up a glass or order a drink from. Meals were served to all guests swiftly and with 60 plus guests that was quite an achievement.

I would recommend The Tides to anyone travelling to Barbados. The restaurant's interior is beautiful, the fine food tastes delicious and the service is first class. The setting by the sea lends to a serene atmosphere. If you are there around 6pm or so there is the most amazing sunset on view.
I can't wait to go there again.

• Visited August 2014
1 Thank Chris D
west yorkshire
“Outstanding”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

We went for our first honeymoon celebration . Great selection of fresh meats and Fish. I had red snapper - the best fish I have ever tasted ! My wife had jumbo shrimp curry to die for !!

London
“Romantic setting, lovely seafood”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2014

What can I say - this place is glamorous without being flashy, and the food is heavenly. Would highly recommend for any occasion - there are plenty of fab restaurants around Holetown, but if you want to guarantee great service and delicious food this is the one to visit. The seafood platter is great.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
New York City, New York
“Disappointing experience but excellent follow up”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2014 via mobile

This is a revised review after follow up with chef/owner. I have copied in the original review and original owner response below as well

We had a very disappointing time when we visited Tides and I posted a critical review here and received an initial response that I felt did not address my concerns. I contacted the owner by email and we have discussed the issues in several mails. The owner has been very diligent in checking out my comments and in discussing issues with me and I felt it very important that I noted this here, as his follow up has been excellent. While we remain very disappointed with our visit, we will be giving Tides another go next time we are in Barbados.

INITIAL REVIEW AND RESPONSE

“Dreadful, chaotic service and allergies ignored, could have been very serious”
Reviewed August 16, 2014NEW
Went to Tides on rave reviews from others here and the hotel concierge. Booked for 7pm and was standing with concierge when time was agreed on phone. Thankfully we checked on the day and found out our reservation had gone down as 6:30. Arrived on time and were quickly seated after a bizarre question on whether we had enjoyed the sunset from our table, had just arrived and sun had already set...should have realized that this may be a warning. Before I proceed I would say that all the staff were very friendly and welcoming on arrival but this could not cover for the failings to come. We carefully explained that my wife was allergic to lime and pineapple and that myself and my youngest son were allergic to mushrooms which was dutifully written down.

We ordered and then were more than a little surprised when my 14 year old son was offered wine. Unfortunately once he said no that was it, it was only once dinner was underway that we realized that no further drink had been offered to either of our children.

A sorbet was brought out before dinner, nice touch but thankfully my youngest son asked what it was....raspberry and lime. My wife had just been about to eat it which would have been a disaster.

Little surprised but on we went.... My starter arrived. A beef salad but when I picked the first mouthful up the salad was full of mushrooms. I was stunned and called the waiter over and it was again taken away. The fresh mushroom free one was fairly quickly brought out and we carried on with dinner. Once dinner was cleared we then were surprised by a small desert brought out with a large firework gushing away for our surprise they insisted we had ordered....we hadn't ordered it though it took some convincing and then it was again taken away

Having had enough by now we declined desert and asked for the bill. Despite all the errors and potentially life threatening allergy issues no adjustment had been made to the bill at all. I frankly just wanted to leave and so I signed the Amex slip for the bill. As we got up to leave the waiter comes over and asks me could he have the signed receipt as only the customer copy was in his bill holder and I must have taken the wrong copy. I never take the copy once I have signed but checked my wallet and pockets anyway and politely informed him I did not have it. He insisted I must have it and waited while we hunted around the table and on the floor as the restaurant were clearly not going to help at all. I then suggested that they had to generate a copy and the waiter just disappeared and we had to go find him at the counter. Again no apologies and many an incriminating look as if we were deeply inconveniencing the staff at the cash register. I signed again though no attempt was made to demonstrate that this was not simply a second charge against my card, I will be checking closely. I must say I have never been treated like this in a restaurant.

Finally we went outside to the cab that had been called and the doorman asked if we had a car or needed a cab, when told that a cab was already there the doorman turned his back and advised that it must be "over there somewhere"

When we got back to the marvelous Fairmont hotel and told the concierge about the treatment they were horrified and were amazed we had paid anything at all. With hindsight I wish I had refused to pay

If we had not been to some excellent restaurants on Barbados already this trip we would have had an awful impression of this great island.

Will never go back to Tides and based on our dreadful experience would strongly recommend against booking here

· Visited August 2014
o Value
o Atmosphere
o Service
o Food

Guy B, Owner at The Tides, responded to this review, yesterday
Thank you for choosing to dine at The Tides and for taking the time to write a review of The Tides. I was obviously disappointed to read your review and please accept my sincere apologizes. I am also the chef and I was made fully aware of your different allergies and this was taken into account when we were preparing your different dishes however we were not aware that you would all be share all your dishes with everyone. You only gave this instruction to my restaurant manager after your main courses had been cooked and plated. We had to redo all your main courses to take care of all your allergies for all your dishes. I might add that we incurred some wastage as we had to use fresh ingredient to accomplish this.
You are right you didn't order the Bon Voyage plate, concierge at the Fairmont ordered it for you as a surprise!!!!!!!! Clearly this upset you for which I can only apologize.
We are proud of what we have achieved at The Tides and I look forward to welcoming you back to The Tides next time you are on island.