“Horrible”

Diamonds International
Ranked #3 of 11 Shopping in Holetown
More attraction details
Owner description: Diamonds International, the world's largest Duty Free jeweller, carries exquisite diamonds, designer gems and fine timepieces. Diamonds International has gained an enviable reputation for producing and selling quality jewellery, from diamond essentials to distinctive one of a kind pieces sought after the world over. Including a unique range of fine watches from the most celebrated international brands for men, women and children.Established in 1986, Diamonds International is in every major Caribbean port and has multiple stores and boutique locations around Barbados for your shopping pleasure.
Stourhead
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Horrible”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 27, 2013

Do yourself a favor and avoid this horrible retailer, no matter what island you stay on. They make a living from cruisers on a short schedule getting dumped on their doorstep and making hasty decisions. Like us, many of them probably end up with a pig in a poke instead of something worth the extortionate costs and the hassle to buy that was obnoxious. They have terms and conditions that basically remove any right of redress you might have, read the paperwork very carefully before you commit to anything or, better still, just don't commit to anything at all, in fact just walk on by - you won't regret it. If you are looking for cheap stock items you might be okay (cheap pens etc) but even then some of their pens looked a bit fake to me. Based on a horrible experience this January I have no hesitation in recommending, well, anywhere except this lot.

Visited January 2013
4 Thank Dan D

Bath
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Abandon all hope ye who enter here”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2013

What a disaster shopping at Diamonds International became.

It was bad enough at the time (2011) that the experience of shopping there was that of an Egyptian market, with hassle and pressure tactics that were blatant and which I found quite offensive. I like to decide things in my own time and not get rushed by pushy staff, then again, I wasn't the one buying, so in a sense I was trapped there while someone else looked for things to buy.

However we did buy an item that we took home boxed and in a small pouch for protection. It was made from what I guess was copper, although described as gold, with a glitter finish around the bracelet. It was worn on about six occasions before we noticed that the finish was deteriorating, getting dark patches on it. We left the bracelet for a while (no occasions for wearing it anyway) only to discover that when we next took the bracelet from the pouch the "staining" had increased and now parts of the "glitter" were entirely gone - without any intervention from us at all. Now, any merchant can be at the mercy of their supplied stock, but the measure of a merchant's value lies in how they rectify faults, especially for items costing over $300-400. Their stated guarantee was 30 days, which for items in that price range is a joke, I'd reasonably expect a year's warranty for such goods.

Customer after-sales care is the point where DI fails completely, and why I could never ever recommend shopping there. If you get a problem with your goods, watch out.

We asked the company about what to do with the bracelet and received complicated instructions for returning the item to a New York address (we bought it in Barbados) and at some considerable expense we did this. We waited for a couple of months before we heard anything, and when we did, we were quoted a charge for repairing the faulty item. We asked instead for a refund. Simple, quick, and they already had the goods returned to them. They refused and told us we *had* to accept a repair instead. But what if this fault is endemic to this type of bracelet? Do we really want to go through all this nonsense again? We contacted our credit card issuer about the transaction and asked whether we were forced to go along with this, and that we thought we had a right to a refund. They wanted the process to play out, so we asked DI to accept a refund and were refused. After this, things went quiet on what was happening. We told DI we would be in Barbados in December. Big surprise, we were emailed during Decemer regarding our home address, and when we returned we found a bracelet (a replacement, not a repair) had been delivered without our agreement. To make matters worse it was a smaller size and can't be worn. We contacted DI to no avail, and, today, received an invoice from FedEx for the shipping of this item, a shipping contract we had not entered and which has obviously been shrugged off by DI in order to maximise their profit on the deal. This review is just the first installment. I may ask Tripadvisor if reviewers could vote negative five stars, because DI's shoddy and underhand behaviour regarding this deal is the worst I've experienced in a long while, and for a place trying to promote itself as upmarket too! So, back to our CC issuer, I think.

DI is a bad joke I'm strongly advising people to avoid. At least when we were back there in December the shop looked deserted, I would guess most shoppers are now heading to the sterile surroundings of Limegrove. Good for them!

DI just want your money, and after that, God help you.

Visited December 2012
5 Thank Richard B
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 97 helpful votes
“Great for duty free pens and mid to high end jewellery”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2012

This is our third time shopping at DI in Holetown and didn't disappoint. The staff were very helpful and not too pushy although we did over hear one assistant being very pushy with another customer, I guess we were lucky or maybe she had been awkward. Anyway, I came to buy a faber castell pencil to add to my pens which have served me well for years. The prices are a little better than in the UK so it's worth a look...

1 Thank MrWolfy