“Mango Bay - Excellent Hotel”

Mango Bay All Inclusive
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Holetown
Stevenage, Hertfordshire
“Mango Bay - Excellent Hotel”
Reviewed January 30, 2009

Firstly we know this review is long overdue!

Mango Bay is an excellent all inclusive Hotel and ensures a very relaxing holiday. We went in August 2008 and stayed in a top floor Deluxe Room, a very spacious, clean and well presented room, which also gave us a sea view as we requested. The staff and service were wonderful, therefore making our stay so special. They really did go out of their way to make us welcome. Plenty of choice of food, beautifully presented and delicious. Our wine glassses were continually kept full! We looked forward to our dining experience everyday. A special mention to Samantha (thank you for keeping in touch), lovely cuddly Paulette and the ever smiling Rimell and of course Tony with his lovely range of Jewellery, and everyone else who made our holiday one to always remember. We had a wonderful 2 weeks meeting new friends Tina & Jamie from Reigate and Lisa & Ralph from Connecticut - the nights at the Piano Bar will never be forgotten!

Thanks again to all the Management and Staff at Mango Bay. We would love to return one day.

Rob & Sally

• Liked — The room and the food
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, traveled as a couple
7 Thank RobandSally

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (473)
Manchester, UK
Reviewed January 28, 2009

We stayed here on our second week of holiday looking forward to a rest from a week in Orlando.

On arrival we were met by a member of the front desk and quickly taken through the paperwork and then given a tour of the resort and booked in for dinner. I would have liked a smile or two but it's only a minor irk.

We booked a superior room as we had been advised by our agent about the karaoke nights affecting the cheaper rooms and we value our peace and quiet at night.

The environment was nice with good landscaping and a nice beach area. This is not a big hotel so it is naturally intimate and you can't expect privacy. We always found loungers although only 2 loungers by the pool allow you sun throughout the day when we were there. And as I am fair that was fine with me.

The swamp is actually the "Hole" of Holetown and we were assured that as it contained fish it was not stagnant and not home of mosquitos. I got bitten to bits and spent most of the week drowsy on allergy tablets and stupidly followed advice to get Citronella oil. Don't. After day 5 I went and got a Deet based product which was the only effective thing I tried.
I did think it smelt in the mornings though.

Mango Bay offers an excellent array of complimentary trips. We loved the Catamaran trip to swim with the turtles but weren't so fond of the trip to Bridgetown as it was very hot and the only thing to do was duty free shopping and I thought there would be more to see.

On the whole the food was excellent for an all-inclusive resort. Although the a la carte food portions weren't massive we were always satisfied and they were very accomodating.

Now onto my only real negative. The entertainment. Having booked a room away from the bars and restaurants of Holetown who would have thought the noise of the live band would be the problem? The volume steadily increased over the nights to the point where my body and bed were shaking. They supposedly finished at 11pm each night but that wasn't always adhered to and I found it pretty frustrating that I couldn't watch tv or read a book in peace. Towards the weekend I thought that the bar had started pumping up the music after 11pm but when I investigated it turned out to be the surrounding areas. Just a word of warning for those considering risking the cheaper rooms.

I think they have completely misjudged the entertainment needed for the clientele and the resort. What we were presented with was the kind of bands that would go down well in some large tacky resort in Spain. And the limbo music. Please.

On our last lunchtime there was a woman at the piano playing old standards and it was lovely. This is what they should be thinking about for the evenings. A beautiful guitar acoustic set would be amazing in the environment. Instead you get the hits of the 80's occasionally peppered with a reggae beat.

I should add that my sister and I are in our mid-30's.

Thje majority of people at the resort were senior citizens but as it was a small place people got to know each other a little and it's definately a more satisfying experience if you interact with other people.

• Liked — Pretty and good food
  • Disliked — The loud evening entertainment
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with friends
8 Thank Angelsrising
Surrey, England
Reviewed January 19, 2009

My wife and 2 daughters (17 and 14) stayed here for a week at the end of July, we wished we'd had time to stay longer.

The standard of the hotel is generally very good. The hotel site is fairly narrow and runs from the back of the property towards the beach. This means that they have a smaller amount of beach frontage and less trees than Tamarind Cove, where we stayed on our last visit to the island, and so space on the beach is at a bit of a premium.

From what we could tell most people went for a chair by the pool and these were reserved early. I don't think we used the pool all holiday as we prefer swimming in the sea. We tended to sit on the left hand side (away from the swamp) where there was some shade from the trees. The only slight problem was guy renting his jet ski tended to spend a fair amount of time drinking and smoking dope (in a very low key, laid back manner). I'd like to stress that at no time did we feel threatened or were ever offered any, but the smell took me back to being a student! He was very friendly and not pushy about renting his craft.

The only problem we had with the beach traders was a guy doing Aloe massages. He got the better of my wife on the first day we arrived and persuaded her to let him massage her swollen feet (I'm not even allowed to touch her feet normally). Whilst she agreed it was soothing the price he initially quoted (once he had already started without being asked) was absurd. I had to work hard to get the cost down to something that even resembled a sensible price. We made sure we didn't get caught like that again and were VERY firm in saying "No thank you".

The "swamp" didn't really smell but we did notice that the time we all got bitten by mosquitos was when we sat on the big lounger chair watching the sunset at that side of the deck. They seemed to prefer my older daughter and my wife to me though.

We had upgraded to a superior room and requested upper floor rooms (which we got on the third floor). We looked out over the bar but noise levels were not a problem for us. When I requested a higher room they were a bit non-committal in the return email but we ended up with the rooms we wanted. Some other people we spoke to were on the ground floor below us and complained about the noise from the bar, although it seemed to close fairly early each night.

The quality and choice of food was considerably better than our previous visit to Barbados when we stayed at Tamarind Cove. The buffets were well stocked and the evening meals offered a good choice. Breakfast was OK, but it took us a while to realise you could get any kind of eggs cooked for you.

We only ate out one night at The Tides, which is just down the road, and the meal was excellent, if a little expensive.

The manageress was a bit "preachy" when she did her talk. There were a lot of comments about children making a lot of noise, not sitting in the lounge in wet swim suits and not feeding the local cat. However I suppose this improves the ambience for everybody and when I pointed out that we had been unable to get a snorkel and mask I was phoned that evening to say that they had been out and bought some new ones.

We did the jeep safari round the island, which was a great day out, although the lunch they provided in a half closed hotel further up the coast was a bit rubbish. We also did the glass bottom boat and catamaran trip and, considering they were free, were both excellent. I had a bit of a conversation about lifejackets when we went to see the turtles. The crew were pretty insistent that we should wear them but being a strong swimmer I really didn't want to and they agreed that as long as I accepted it was my own decision then they wouldn't insist. The impression I got was that this was something the hotel had insisted on.

Drinks were served well with premium brands available, although you had to ask for these. Nobody seemed to go silly and it was nice not to have to worry about how many drinks, especially the soft drinks, everyone had during the day.

One gripe I would mention - make the internet access free! I know there is a computer in the lounge but it is nearly always being used and the kids couldn't even take my laptop downstairs and log on without being charged. I ended up paying for a connection to keep them quiet, (teenage girls seem incapable of surviving for a few days without Facebook and MSN).

Overall we were happy with the location and hotel and would be happy to go back again.

• Liked — Size of the room and position
  • Disliked — Lack of free internet
  • Stayed July 2008
9 Thank chris_hoskins
Midlands, UK
Reviewed January 17, 2009

We chose this hotel for our wedding based on the good reviews on this website and we were not disappointed.

We upgraded to the Superior room and it was lovely - very spacious too. We had no problems with the food and enjoyed it very much. There was a different menu each night, with the couple of buffet nights. Most of the staff were friendly - always made sure though that our glasses were topped up with wine! There was also a good selection of drinks available too at the bar.

We found the availability of sunbeds no problem. If we couldn't get one by the pool, we were able to grab a couple on the beach. The beach was narrow, but this didn't bother us, nor did the swamp. We did a few of the free activities / watersports the hotel had to offer and also hired a car through reception to see the rest of the island.

Our wedding was perfect - totally exceeded our expectations. The staff were great and did everything we wanted in organising our wedding. Our guests, who were not staying at the hotel, also commented on how great the food was.

I was sad to leave Mango Bay. We will be returning when we've saved up the pennies as it great holiday with lots of happy and special memories.

• Liked — Room, food, location
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Bubbles55
Cambs
Reviewed January 17, 2009

We thought that Mango Bay was great. The beach is lovely and kept very clean, it is very narrow and occasionally the waves would come right in across the sand, but we found as long as we didn't keep anything on the floor it was fine, the water just comes under the sunlounger. We are not the sort of people who get up early to reserve sunloungers but we never had a problem getting them on the beach even after 9am, we did sometimes have trouble getting a beach umbrella though, they could do with a few more of them. We had no issue getting space on the beach as although narrow it is a long beach.

It was lovely walking down the coast to Sandy Lane and Paynes Bay, can be a bit treacherous if you go at the wrong time when the tide's high though. We'd wander down with our snorkel and see what we could find. It was also nice walking in the other direction to the next little bay as there were a lot of fish and the area is marked out with buoys so you're not likely to get run over by a boat.

The glass bottom boat trip was fun, we saw a lot of brightly coloured fish, and the Catamaran trip was also good allowing you to swim with the beautiful Turtles. The only downside with this was that the trip lasted 2 hours but you only swim with the Turtles for 25 mins, the rest is spent sailing around the coast.

Waterskiing is also available to try which was great and the instructor was very clear.

The beach vendors were a constant presence but a "No, i'm OK thanks" would send them on their way, we didn't find any hard selling.

I can't tell you much about the pool area as with a beach on the doorstep we didn't feel the need to sit by the pool, so I don't know about lounger availability there.

We loved the food there, and even though we planned to have a meal out we never did as we felt that we were getting restaurant quality service and a great choice of food each night at the hotel. The staff in the restaurant were friendly and helpful. The bar was good with a wide choice of cocktails.

It was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever had, the bed was huge, and the room was good quality, with a lovely powerful shower, we went for a superior room as we had read about the noise in the standard rooms.

Holetown itself was a nice friendly place, with a choice of bars, and some lovely shops. There is a free trip to Bridgetown provided by the hotel but we didn't take advantage of this.

We decided to do an Island Jeep Safari tour while we were there to see a bit of the Island and would recommend this if you're not comfortable driving around yourself. You see a lot and find out a bit more about Barbados and we had a lovely lunch at Sunbury House.

Didn't really take much notice of the swamp, it's just something that's there. There were Mosquitoes around but it's a tropical country, you expect them whether there's a swamp or not, we just used good quality DEET containing spray and had no problems.

With regards to cleanliness, areas such as the Restaurant, Reception and the Bar plus the outside areas were lovely and clean, and our bathroom too. There were a few grubby areas such as the internal corridors on the ground floor and the area leading down to the swamp and the cupboards were a bit musty in the bedrooms. Our floor could have been cleaned more thoroughly but we should have mentioned it to them at the time as the staff are keen to help.

On our last day we had to check out by 12, but weren't being picked up until 3, but there is a really handy shower with towels and toiletries provided so that you can make the most of the beach and still have the option to clean up before your flight home.

Each day I kept a look out for the Monkeys or a Mongoose and finally saw them. The young monkey was happy to play around in front of you and one of the staff kindly helped me to get some great photos and locate the adult monkeys. I also saw a Humming Bird which was lovely.

We will definitely go back in the future, but would go for two weeks, one wasn't enough!

• Liked — The beach, the food and the happy people.
  • Disliked — Lack of beach umbrellas at times.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank gembug
Boston, MA
Reviewed January 15, 2009

My husband and I booked this resort for our honeymoon based on how wonderful it appeared on the website. We were so looking forward to our trip until we arrived at this hotel. The moment we arrived we realized that this was not the hotel that we expected. We had booked an ocean front room.
It didn't look like the photos that we saw on the website. The place was in need of some rennovating. We received a two cent tour from a front desk employee and were shown to our room-after we passed a nasty swamp which runs along one whole side of the building. The room was dingy, and didn't seem as if it was properly cleaned prior to our arrival. The bathroom had one small light and was very dark. The shower had a handheld showerhead that forced you to stand against the wall in order to take a proper shower. The tub and the bathroom sink backed up very quickly.
We tried to speak with someone regarding our unhappiness, but were told that we had to speak to some sort of "island representative" even though we had booked the hotel through American Express and the hotel directly. We got the run around for over an hour and a half.
We got dressed and went to dinner. I ordered a glass of wine which was Carlo Rossi (In the US you can buy a gallon of this wine for about $5.00). We ate the dinner because we were starving, but it was NOT good by any means. The entertainment was similar to something you would see at an old age home. Also, the resort boasts a strict "dinner dress code," but my husband and I were overdressed compared to other people at dinner who were wearing jeans, flip flops and shorts. If we had known that they didn't enforce the policy, we wouldn't have made the effort to dress nice.
Someone did show us the suite as an alternative when we said that we weren't happy, but a bigger room wouldn't have made this a better resort. There was tiny strip of sand on the beach, but no where to actually lay on the beach. Everyone was crammed on the slab of cement next to the sand. We called American Express and checked out first thing the next morning. No one cared that we were leaving the resort. We ended up at a different hotel and had a wonderful honeymoon.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
10 Thank mmkm14
london
Reviewed January 14, 2009

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at Mango Bay to have a little relaxation after a terrible year from new years Eve until 10th January.
When I booked it, i was promised that it was mainly an adults hotel and if there were any children they would be older.
However on arrival, we found that there were loads of children from babies right up to excitable 12year olds. Screaming babies and dive bombs on your head in the pool are not excatly relaxing......
The hotel "swamp" as people are mentioning can have an effect if raining heavily (which it did in january!!) and run into the sea which makes swimming impossible and closes the beach.
Rooms are nice, I paid for a deluxe room as the standard rooms were supposed to be noisy and I wanted a peaceful rest. However all the rooms get a large amount of noise from the music (i guess you could call it) entertainment at the hotel which goes on until midnight most nights.
The restaurant service is excellent and food quality also very high, we both found no probs with it, although it is strange booking your lunch and evening meal dinner times at breakfast.
Desserts can be a bit sweet but the ice cream is delicious!
Note to management - there arent enough sunbeds for all the people, we ended up on the hunt for a sunbed nearly every morning at 09am and then having to put it on the grass arera as beach is full and screaming kids have hijacked the pool area.
Even on the small grass area, the kids were playing football so you thought the ball would hit your head any minute! Come on WAG parents, put down the nail file and have some control!!!
Word of advice - If you do want a sunbed you have to get up at 07am and go and put your towel down to reserve, naughty but its the only way.
Reception staff are helpful but why oh why put a trainee on the desk with noone helping her when she doesnt know anything - it was very frustrating and you felt you were banging your head against a brick wall, also the main phone keeps ringing (and they have to answer it) while your talking to them.
Location is good, we loved walking along the beach, though sometimes its a bit hairaising when the tide comes up!
Overall I did like this hotel but it is too small to be a family hotel and should really just cater for adults.
Plus points - they did a brilliant new years eve night, food was amazing. Rooms lovely and clean and staff at restaurant so friendly.
Down points, too many kids, miserable bar staff, lack of space.

p.s to all those reviewers who read negative reviews and then mark them as unhelpful, remember not all reviews are going to be positive and surely its better to know of any probs before you book!!!! That what a review is all about, good and bad.

Stayed January 2009
12 Thank nickymLondon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holetown
Beach View
The Crane Resort
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#11 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
#7 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Mango Bay All Inclusive? Share your experiences!