“quaint but nice”

Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Holetown
Clemson, South Carolina
“quaint but nice”
Reviewed July 6, 2008

Mango Bay is what it is advertised to be, a three star resort. The rooms are comfortable, clean and maid service is very good. We were in an ocean front room upper level, so noise was not a problem other than listening to some less than entertaining entertainment some evenings. The lagoon does smell, and it was dirty. I found that to be very distracting each morning when we got up and out on the beach. We found breakfast to be rather dull and predictable and after first couple of mornings there was no yogurt to be found, there was always fresh fruit and juice so that option was appreciated. Lunches were good, although they did repeat the menu fairly often during the week we were there. I must commend the chef on the variety of soups which were served with lunch and dinner. I also thought portion sizes were very appropriate. Dinner was usually very good, although the two nights of buffet style left much to be desired. Our service on all occasions at the restaurant was excellent. Hats off to little Michelle and Renee at breakfast and lunch. The bar was fine, beer was a bit on the tepid side, but the bartenders did a good job. I wouldnt say they were overly friendly but then they did have a lot to do. The beach was fine, though small and we did get up quite early each morning to get a chair on the beach, had no trouble maintaining it all day if we wanted it. We did take the catamaran ride which was fun, my husband took advantage of the free water-skiing and we also took out the small hobie a few times while there. I have to say that the least friendly people there were the front desk staff. It seemed a chore for them to be of assistance with just about anything. The manager told us at the Wed cocktail party to let them know if anything was a problem so that evening I went to the staff in the front to mention that for a few nights the mosquitoes were bothering me at dinner, I assumed they would have a lotion or spray in a first aid kit. Finally, she brought out her own spray out of the desk and I used this. It was very helpful and rather than buy my own I continued to go to the front office each evening for a spray. I could tell the personnel in the office werent very keen on this but they didnt refuse me. . On our last day, we asked one of the front office personnel to take a picture of us, since we had none of us together on the trip. She acted as if we had asked her to do something quite difficult and quickly took the photo and rushed off. It wasnt as if she was busy, and there were three people in the front office at the time so she didnt have to hurry. All in all we had a nice time, would be go back? Not sure, maybe to Barbados, maybe to Mango Bay, but probably we would look elsewhere to stay.

• Liked — Dinner was well-planned and service in restaurant outstanding
  • Disliked — Location - beside smelly lagoon
4 Thank htilil2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
Hampshire
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We arrived at the hotel late afternoon and were met with a rum punch, quick check-in and a tour of the hotel. I could tell straight away that we were going to have the time of our lives. Our room was stunning (deluxe room) it looked and felt extremely clean, there was a 26" flat screen TV, luxury balcony furniture, modern bathroom and a chilled bottle of bubbly! The bed was very comfortable and the linen was clean, soft and fresh. The hotel itself is in an excellent state of repair, all walls are fresh white paint, floor tiling is stylish and everywhere is clean.

Food - A la carte most nights. Never saw the same menu twice and each had a good selection of seafood, a vegetarian option and 2 meat options. The food was never served cold and was always very tasty, and cooked to your requirements. My wine glass was never empty and my husband struggled to finish a beer without a waitress offering another. The service at the tables was excellent, like you would expect from fine restaurants. We only ate out once, the food was disapointing compared to Mango Bay food.

Drink- Wide selection of cocktails. One of the barmen (Jonathon) was great at mixing something new to try that wasn't on the menu. The wine was great, which was a lovely suprise from a Carribean hotel. Served from glass bottles rather than plastic canisters, the red was exceptionaly nice and served at a perfect temperature.

Beach- Clean, beautiful, perfect size for the hotel and didn't feel crowded even when the hotel was full.

Pool- Again very clean. Beautiful layout, shaded in most areas to suit peoples needs. Sun loungers were wooden with a thick comfy pad. Pure luxury!

Staff - Lovely, we enjoyed the company and work of Tony, the Hotel's jewellery seller. Please give him your business when buying jewellery as they are truly beautiful, handmade pieces.

Entertainment - Enjoyable and not overbearing. Most nights it would be a local singer or musician which was in keeping with the relaxing style of the hotel. On one night there were a couple of limbo dancers which were great to watch and did encourage a bit of audience participation for those wanting to give it a try (men and women alike!)

Overall I would give this holiday a 5* rating as the hotel met and exceeded our expectations. If you enjoy everything we mentioned above then this is a great choice for romantic break or mother/daughter pamper week. If you're looking for a fun break with friends then choose somewhere else and come back with a special someone another time.

Hope you find this helpful!

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
7 Thank dhyzfr6
Upstate South Carolina
Reviewed July 2, 2008

We are devoted all-inclusive vacationers. We have stayed at many of the large "chain" resorts....love them.
The not so good first...Noise from the street side bars...We were not in the units across from the bar, but got our "fair-share" of boom-boom, thru the night. We were in the condo units and to my surprise, they didn't have enclosed windows, they were lourvered and could not block out the noise. We tried using pillows stuffed in the openings with little success. The room was large and nice but only the bedroom is airconditioned. We had to keep the bedroom door shut just to cool it enough for sleeping. The restaurant service at lunch was slow, please remember, we are use to the large resorts where things move at a little faster pace. Lunch would take over an hour. Dinner we liked the slower pace. This is a little much for lunch when we go to enjoy the beach, water and sun. We did have an issue one evening with the wait staff and it appeared to us that the members of this particular team were a little slack. The meal selection this evening didn't thrill my wife or I and we didn't eat very much of the main course. We waited for the dessert menu to be brought but they kept avoiding us. I finally ask for the menu and the lady was reluctant in bringing it. We ordered and waited and waited. They finally brought the ice cream but then turned around and went back into the kitchen for something else, we just sat there with no ice cream and we decided to just leave. The next day at lunch this same team was working and made our lunch miserable..we had been there for over an hour and many others had sat, been served and left before we were even offered the dessert menu. It was very obvious that this team didn't care if we got served or not.
The catamaran trip lasted only an hour, was suppose to have been two. My wife is not a strong swimmer and I requested a life jacket for her and got a bunch of lip from one of the crew members. We have been a catamaran trips in Barbados before and they required life jackets for everyone. This crew member made an announcement before we got in the water that if you couldn't swim, don't get in the water. Well duh huh, why do you go to swim with turtles if you don't get in the water. Pass out life jackets...dummy.
Being the easy-going people we are, we didn't report any of this and the restaurant service was very good with the other teams. We opted to go snorkeling up the beach instead of the glass bottom boat.
Food....breakfast...typical buffet...limited selection
lunch...good menu selection...just took too long
dinner...very good selection....very good food
Drinks...very good...Banks beer..very good
The good.....everything else...great snorkeling 100 yds up the beach at the platform. Snorkel Ok right off the beach. We didn't even get in the pool...looked nice but when the ocean is like a pool..who needs chlorine? This is a small resort and can not offer all the amentities of the larger chain resort and we knew that going in.
Would we go back....not before next weekend (yes). Would we get the same room...no...ocean front or close to it...stay away from the standard rooms. FYI...there were no children there during our stay.
This resort caters to our friends from Great Britain and Ireland... very nice folks..talk a little funny....the afternoon tea was nice, even though I had a beer and my wife had a fancy drink. Sandwiches were great.
Would we do some things different...probably
Would we recommend Mango Bay...yes..
The greater part of the staff were very helpful and friendly.

Stayed June 2008
6 Thank fosters811
Wrexham
Reviewed July 2, 2008

My new husband and I stayed at Mango Bay for our honeymoon (along with many other honeymooners!!) We were greeted with rum punch and shown to ur room - we booked superior from reading the reviews on trip advisor (glad we did as I believe the standards although are great rooms, can be noisey) - the room was fine although could be a bit noisey with the cleaning staff in the mornings but we were up early anyway so it didn't really matter - at the end of the day who wants to spend wll day in their room? Although we didn't get our free up-grade we were treated to champange.

We really loved it at he hotel - it is small but that adds to it - the mangeress spends time almost everyday walking around the pool and beach checking that everyone is happy and believe me if there is a problem it is sorted out immediately! If you are expecting utter luxury then this probably isn't the place for you but I know we wouldn't be happy staying at a huge complex. This was our first time AI and I do think we were spoilt with the food and drink. We had a daily bet that we could finish a glass of wine without it being re-filled - it took over a week and a half for me to win the bet!

There are loads of water sports to keep you entertained, a great spa and old Del Boy Chleston is always around organising trips out - we made the 20/20 cricket and the horse racing - fantastic!

I have to comment on those who have said that the staff were rude and unhelpful - we didn't experience this at all - the Bajans are so laid back and helpful it is unbelievable - we had a great time with them!

The beach is narrow but we spent most of our time by the pool so we didn't mind. Evening entertainment isn't fantastic but we met some fantastic poeple and get out into the piano bar and IML for some kareoke with the locals, unfortunatley raggamuffins burnt down while we were there - but I'll never forget seeing one of the locals chilling with a beer sitting on the burnt verander the next day!! Seriously get out and get around Barbados - it is amazing and you won't fail to be entertained and have the best time.

Overall we loved it at Mango Bay - everday there is somebody doing something to keep the hotel maintained, whether it be gardening, painting and even washing the walls. Oh yes - I did get bitten but the staff will sprays your rooms if you ask. It is maybe a bit rough around the edges but I think this adds to the charm. Go there with an open mind - after all a holiday is what you make it and we meet some amazing people who just added to the whole experiece..... (you know who you are!!!)..... We wouldn't hesitate to return or recommened to anyone else. We will be going back!

• Liked — Couln't help getting caught up with the utterly relaxed atmosphere
  • Disliked — not alot!
9 Thank stellabells
Augusta, Georgia
Reviewed June 30, 2008

We just returned from Mango Bay and had an absolute blast! Twelve of us traveled from Augusta, GA on June 21st and stayed until June 28th. This was our sixth trip to the Caribbean and without a doubt the best.
The staff was incredible! I have never seen an entire staff bend over backwards to make sure our stay was a memoriable one.
We had one ocean front room and five one bedroom apartments. I upgraded to these rooms before our arrival because I don't expect a hotel to upgrade you for free. Only two of the one bedroom apartments are owned by Mango Bay, according to the manager, but they were wonderful. I stayed in the ocean front and loved it. We have stayed at Ritz Carlton's in Montego Bay and San Juan. The rooms at the RC are nicer but Mango Bay is close.
The pool is nice with ample floats, chairs, and a volleyball net.
Only one of our party used the spa but she loved it. She stated that it was the best peticure she had ever received.
The bar was great. Chelton, Jonathan, Andre, and the rest were all super. It was so much fun watching them "make up" drinks for the regulars at the bar. The bartenders knew when it was time for another before you did!
The restaurant was incredible. This was,by far, the best food we have ever had at an all inclusive. The breakfast was a buffett but you could have eggs prepared any way you preferred. The lunch was only buffett once or twice, great both ways. Dinner was off the charts! There was much variety every single night. Even on our last night the chef topped himself. Our sons caught a Kingfish in front of the hotel. I asked the chef if he could prepare the fish and he happily agreed. We gave him the fish, around 35 pounds, at 6:00 PM and he had it ready at 8:30 PM. It was great.
The nightly entertainment was the only disappointment we had. We were hoping for a little more "Caribbean style" music but we got a lot of slower music instead.
In closing, this was the best resort we've experienced to date. Not only is the staff great but the other guests were truly fun to vacation with. If you chose the Mango Bay you can't go wrong!

• Liked — The staff and the food
  • Disliked — The nightly entertainment
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank Buzzy B
Derbyshire
Reviewed June 29, 2008

we booked mango bay for our honeymoon after reading all the reviews on trip advisor.

rooms - after being greeted by a straight faced staff member and given our complimentary rum punch we were taken to our rather nice superior room, which was located above the hotel bar area.

the room was equipped with flat screen tv, tea and coffee making facilities, bath gel, hair shampoo & conditioner and body lotion. two bath robes are also supplied per room, iron and ironing board and each room also had a safe (complimentry). beach towels are changed daily by the maids and on the whole are in good condition. the bed was two queen sizes pushed together - the gap in the middle didn't particularly cause us any problems. maids did a turn down service every evening putting chocolates on the bed. our room had a partial sea view and a view over the roof of the restaurant/bar. on the balcony are two (nice)plastic/fake cane sun chairs, a table and a wooden clothes airer/dryer. the sun didn't get onto the balcony. the air con worked well and was quiet. On the first two nights of our stay we were awoken by noise, not from the local bars, but from the mango bay bar - the first night at 12:30am and the second night at 1:30 am - the first instance was the blenders used for making the cocktails and the second instance by a large gathering of guests. at breakfast the following morning when asked how we had slept I politely informed them that we were being disturbed. to the credit of the hotel and its managers they arranged for us to be moved to a deluxe room at the end of the first week (couldn't do it any earlier as the hotel was full). although there are no complaints about the superior room (other than the noise) there is a definate difference between superior and deluxe - bigger bathroom deeper tub, better furniture, larger tv, better bed etc.... we were moved away from the hotel bar to over the pool and weren't disturbed once. the air conditioning in the second room broke and flooded the room one afternoon and maintenance were reasonably quick at sorting it. also the toilet started to fail to fill up so we duly reported at 6.45 in the evening expecting it to be sorted by the time we came to bed but at 1am it hadn't been sorted. reception initially said they would sort it in the morning but to be frank this wasn't acceptable and after making them aware maintenance were with us within 10 minutes. If i could afford to upgrade i would go for an ocean front - although over where the entertainment is it does finish by 11pm. be aware though - the standard rooms really are noisy from friday to sunday night - the karioke is not in a bar but occurs on the street right outside the front of the entrances to the standard rooms - don't underestimate it - it really does go on until 2ish in the morning - fine if you can join in and party with the locals but after a long flight might well be the last thing you want to do.
restuarant - the hotel does apply a strict dress code for the restaurant in the evening and staff tried to enforce this on our first night even though our luggage hadn't yet arrived. the hot breakfast is only mediocre. the bacon is american style - strip rashers that are cooked to a crisp, flavourless baked beans then sometimes either soggy mushrooms or waffles (or bread coated in sugar) the best bit was nice scrambled eggs. All of this is kept warm inside steel containers over heated water. Probably the best option was to ask one of the chefs (stood at the back of the room over some hotplates) to cook you fried eggs, omlettes (with whatever filling you wanted in it) there was also a supply of fresh fruit, yoghurts, cereals and toast available. for the whole the al a carte menu at lunch was good and for those with smaller apetites sandwiches served with chips (very oily though). the menu was repeated during the week normally for a few consecutuive days at a time. the evening meals were normally good (with a few exceptions but again this is simply down to personal preference). unfortunately the buffet options served several times per week both at lunch and dinner were disappointing with sometimes warm offerings and limited selections (although again my partner would disagree that they were disappointing) - the best of this was the chinese night. service was ok on the whole (but see later comments) only once did staff forget our order. red, white and rose wine was freeflowing and drinkable (when you could get the waiters attention to top you up) and water was also topped up (again when you could get the waiters attention). not all the restaurant staff are full of smiles - some are surley and although polite could do with learning to smile.there is only one small clock for guests to use that is located in the bar which is annoying when sunbathing by the pool and knowing that your time is coming to go for lunch. one tip for future visitors - lunch and dinner times have to be booked and slots fill up quickly. we freqently found ourselves only sitting down for the evening meal at 9:45 pm - great if you had a late lunch but not as clever if you got a 12 noon lunch time sitting. those eating early breakfast (7am) get the best times so you could do with getting up early to ensure a good lunch and evening eating time. the tip? we discovered that you could book the night before just before leaving thus meaning you avoided that early morning wake up.

the bar - jonathan and rondell are stars!!! ok - the cocktails are made with syrups rather than fresh produce but the guys serve with a smile and will go out of their way for you. a shame that beer isn't served in pint pots instead its in small glasses which means you need to go to the bar more often and it puts more pressure on the staff so you can expect to wait before being served. unless you ask for named brands you will get local brands. plastic cups are used where you are drinking on the beach or the pool area. there is no waiter service around the pool area or beach area and you are requested not to go in the bar/restaurant area when wet.

sunbeds - plentiful but again, if you want to secure a good spot on the beach, the decked area or by the pool you need to be up before 7am as towels were on beds at 6:45 on a regular basis. if there aren't enough then the watersports shed staff (not in uniform and sometimes difficult to identify as staff) will get additionals out plus brollies. the hotel does advertise that towels left on sunbeds for over an hour outside meal times will be removed the policy is not enforced. a large group left towels on sunbeds for approx 3 hours whilst going on a hotel excursion.

free hotel trips - worth going on. the bridgetown trip is ok but too long. after being dropped off at 10 am we were ready for home at 11. the glass bottom boat and catamaran trip are excellent (but see notes below). the trips do book up quickly.

the biggest (and most disruptive problem) we encountered that for us, let the hotel down? given that it is only a small hotel (which should make it intimate) with only 68 rooms, there were a number of large party bookings. whilst the first two were of six and ten respectively the third was of 25 people. and the hotel was taken over. meal times became even more restricted and when the large group were in for food, we felt like we were second class visitors. service disintigrated, people were left waiting for over 90 minutes for food, sunbeds became hard to obtain and where you could get the watersports guys to get the additional beds out there was no where left to put them, free trips were cut short, overbooked or in one instance restricted to other guests and even cancelled to make way for the large group ,when the group were in the bar there was no where left for other guests to sit. during our two week stay the decking area was out of bounds from about 2pm in the afternoon (twice for weddings and the third time was for the extra large group - the weddings were nice to see though and were only short in time and the hotel, in their defence, did put extra staff and a second bar just for this party) but it did disrupt other guests. we felt like we were outsiders and our holiday was disrupted which given the cost of the holiday should not have happened. in the end we left the hotel bar one evening to go outside the complex to have a peaceful evening where we could get served and sit down. when other guests raised this with management they were informed that it was the last night the group was being accomodated in this large number and that separate bookings for meals etc would happen from the next day. on our last day the group were still eating in large numbers affecting everyone else. The affect on service, other guests and staff morale that the large group was having was the subject of much discussion between other guests.

would we visit again? only if we could be reassured that the hotel could give a reassurance that there were no large groups booked in or that the could better manage or were better equipped to ensure that couples were not penalised by the presence of large groups.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — service levels when hotel fully booked
11 Thank linksmanmischief
surrey
Reviewed June 29, 2008

Marvellous Mango Bay

We stayed at the Mango Bay in May 08 and we had a fantastic holiday.

The hotel is a four star standard and there is nothing that was too much trouble for the very happy and helpful staff.

The food was a good standard and A La Carte with a good variety every day and not like some all inclusives where it is self service, there were a couple of nights where it was self service but otherwise silver service with any thing you wanted to drink, wine beer spirits cocktails etc, all of which were very acceptable and if you wanted premium brands they were readily available and you just had to ask for them.

The beach although small was plenty big enough with sunbeds for those that wanted them, around the pool there was a shortage of sunbeds during the middle of our second week but the management soon addressed this and the problem seemed very short lived.The pool itself was clean and the water was cool and refreshing. You will need to get up early to claim your sunbed.

The room was to a good standard and cleaned daily with sheets changed daily if you wanted, towels were plentyful and they DO give towels for the beach/pool daily.

We did have a small problem with our shower screen which we reported, the management who told us they were waiting for some new screens to arrive from Miami, so we just had to use our beach towels to make sure the floor did not flood, otherwise the bathroom / shower was very good with toiletries replenished daily i.e shampoo, conditioner, body lotion, etc.

T|his is a small and friendly hotel and you soon get to know the guests (if you want to) pretty quickly, we met some very very nice people whilst we were there.

There is the "One Love Bar" outside in the next street, which on Sundays has a street party and some of the hotel suffers from the noise from this, we didn't have a problem as we were in another part of the hotel, there is also a piano bar adjacent to the hotel this is supposed to be very good but we did not venture in as we were too tired most nights to make the effort, however the others who did go said it was very entertaining.

The free trips the hotel put on are well worth going on especially the Catamaran trip on board Stilletoe, we had a fantastic trip on there.

We did venture out one night to "The Cliff", all I can say is yes it is a little expensive but WOW you cannot explain this place but it is a stunning setting and the food very very good.

All in all I could go on but I think you can tell from this if your thinking of going to Barbados you would not go far wrong by choosing the Mango Bay, yes we would definitely go back, but we like to try other destinations, but next time in Barbados I will be going to Mango Bay.

Not going to put any pictures on as they will be same as everyone elses!!!!

• Liked — Food and drink
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
6 Thank paul74Surrey
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holetown
Colony Club by Elegant Hotels
The Crane Resort
#1 of 4 in Saint Philip Parish
Turtle Beach by Elegant Hotels
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#10 of 26 in Saint James Parish
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
Crystal Cove by Elegant Hotels
#7 of 26 in Saint James Parish

Been to Mango Bay All Inclusive? Share your experiences!