“Comfortable, friendly not quite 4 star!”

Mango Bay All Inclusive
Ranked #1 of 4 Hotels in Holetown
London, England, United Kingdom
“Comfortable, friendly not quite 4 star!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2013

This hotel is set in a great town of Holetown and on the West coast of Barbados which means you get to see some stunning sunsets. It is a small and clean hotel.
There is not much of a beach so space is somewhat limited. If you wanted to get the sun, these loungers were placed in front of the next door condominiums which to the residents of the hotel wasn't a problem but to some of the residents of the condominiums it was. It was upsetting to here these rude residents complaining about us taking up THEIR beach ( let's remember the beaches are public so in effect you can sit where you want).
Regarding the JCB diggers and machinery, it was low level noise and I can understand the need for it, thank fully they stopped before the sunset and then I did realise how I would probably appreciate the beach more if they weren't there. There are definitely more stunning beaches on the west coast- and to be fair the hotel provided transport, drinks, food and staff if you wanted to go to another beach, however I prefer to have the beach on my doorstep when I am on holiday knowing I have the choice to return to my room when I want to.
Regarding my room it was clean and tidy- good storage space in bedroom but not enough shelf space in the bathroom, also there was an absence of a good magnified make-up mirror in the bathroom which I would expect in a 5 star hotel- I loved the robes and the shower was DIVINE, powerful and it always had constant hot water. TV reception was not great ( our aerial kept slipping but that was because the maid was doing such a good job with the cleaning!)
FOOD
To be honest, I had read the TripAdvisor reviews about the outstanding food so was really looking forward to sampling the menu however personally I felt the food was quite bland, boring and uninspiring- great for the kids though! I thought the portions were a good size enough to fill you but not stuff you. Well done to the kids (parents), I was impressed with how well behaved they were at the hotel!
STAFF
The staff were friendly,polite and you got to feel you were part of the family. They never let my water glass go empty at meal times! They genuinely seemed interested in what you were doing that day and would go out of their way to make you feel as comfortable as possible.
ENTERTAINMENT
Really dissappointing, at times painful! I believe it would be better to have better quality rather than quantity-employ some good local talent for 3 days a week rather than every night- I got the impression residents there were not particularly interested in the entertainment and if they were they could literally step outside the hotel and enjoy the night life of Holetown. Personally I would love to hear music coming out from the bar all day long to help liven up the place but I got the impression the majority of the hotel residents prefer it quiet and peaceful.
Favourite moments - watching the sunset from the veranda with a rum punch or Bajan lemonade in hand.

2 Thank Mama-Kate J

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (461)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2013

Nice Hotel in a good location with excellent service. Our stay was spoiled a bit by construction on the beach. Apparently it will be completed by November....Otherwise, highly recommended with better than average food for an all-inclusive.

Room Tip: Away from the street as the noise from the bars goes very late at night and it LOUD!
2 Thank fraserlandry
Swindon, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed at Mango Bay at the beginning of August, the hotel service and staff I cannot fault.
Our stay was enjoyable as the staff are genuinely friendly and the food was very good. The view from the restaurant of the ocean is a lingering memory. We stayed in the condos next to the hotel which were clean and comfortable but were basic, not a problem though as it was only somewhere to sleep.
Water sports and free trips offered by the hotel should be taken up as they are worth it, the water skiing especially.
The only complain't we had was not with the hotel but with the beach works going on directly outside the hotel. Whilst this is a government led initiative it did taint our stay and the work is going on until November. If you are the type of person who loves beaches then I would say until the work is completed this may not be the place to stay, if you like to sun yourself by the pool then this is for you.

• Stayed August 2013
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 18, 2013

What a holiday.

The staff at the hotel are a credit, they are so welcoming, friendly, accommodating and will go to extreme lengths to ensure you are completely happy at the hotel.

The rooms are comfortable and spacious and all that you would want

And finally I would like identify Rondel, Petra, Dionne, Marcia and Tanya for a service second to none

Room Tip: Basic room 411 is good because you get a limited sea view
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Cardiff, Wales, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

We've just returned from a 9 day stay at the Mango Bay and were sad when we had to leave this paradise island.

At the end of our review is our take on the construction work - for us it took the shine off our honeymoon to a degree...but as the saying going goes..when you're given a lemon, make lemonade (would have been 5 stars otherwise) !

The service we received at Mango Bay was second to none - rum punch on arrival and an iced face towel to cool you down. During our stay the staff went over and above to make sure we were happy. Ryan, Yvonne, Dennis, Hermonie and the hotel manager Mr Johnson...to name but a few....you got the impression these people cared about you.

The food it outstanding. For morning there's a breakfast buffet - the usual mix of cooked items, cereal, fresh fruit, juice..and freshly cooked omelettes on request . Lunch and dinner is usually chosen from a 3 course menu. The food is fresh, hot and you're never wanting for a bigger portion. Lots of fish to choose from (as you'd expect) and lots of local recipes.

Although we always found what we wanted on the menu, some of the other couples asked the chef for something different and he always accommodated.

Tea is served at 4pm, and in very British tradition it's finger sandwiches, cakes, scones and lots of tea!

If you're still hungry at other times of the day you can ask for sandwiches, snacks etc...and they always deliver. For me it's the little things that count..and just one example are the little pots of ice cream they bring around throughout the day if you're by the pool / bar area.

At first I was a little apprehensive about booking lunch and dinner when you arrive for breakfast, and also having to wear trousers at dinner...but it works. The restaurant runs like clockwork as they know who's turning up and when, and the dress code makes it feel and look like a proper restaurant..not an 18-30 free for all.

Moving onto the bar...drinks all inclusive and there's an extensive (Rum) cocktail menu. Dennis (and all the others) will make whatever you want, when you want..and they don't skimp on measures. There's a cold water machine next to the bar so you can help yourself all day, and if you're off to the beach, shopping etc you can ask reception for a couple of bottles of iced water to take with you.

Our room was brilliant. We were upgraded to a superior room over looking the bar, and on our first night we had petals on the bed and a bottle of bubbly. Our room was large had ice cold air con, and had a safe, iron, etc thrown in for good measure. Some of the larger rooms have fridges too.The cleaning was beyond...from the morning till dawn the staff were busy cleaning something. Rooms had fresh towels, robes, beach towels daily...and another lady would top up the complimentary shower gel, conditioner etc. Yes, some could say the marble in the bathroom was dated, but to me it was spotless and a fair size.

On the subject of cleaning...the rest of the hotel was as spotless. The sun lounger (pool & beach) were cleaned daily, as were the mattress type pads the hotel supplied for them. The pool was regularly cleaned, as wall all around the bar area. The restaurant was as clean, with no sign of food/mess anywhere...which helped keep the birds at bay.

Noise wise, we were overlooking the bar, so I can't comment like others have who were overlooking the road. The hotel lays on evening entertainment, which yes, you can hear, but at 12 it all goes quiet. Outside of the hotel are a mix of small bars and restaurants, and the only day where I'd say we were kept awake for longer was on Sunday where two local bars fight it out on who's got the biggest speakers with their karaoke/drag act dual. We made sure we got ourselves down there the following Sunday though for a drink in Ragamuffins.

Trip wise the hotel lay on a free catamaran trip, and a glass bottom boat ride....be sure not to miss them. They also have free water-skiing, pedalos, snorkel gear etc so you're never stuck for things to do. Trips we went on, which I'd recommend... the Atlantis Submarine, Jeep Safari around the island, Oisions Friday fish fry...and a trip to local races.

On the beach Herbie and his son will help you out if you want to rent a jetski, or organize a boat trip for just you and your better half. There's a few 'looky looky' men, but they respect it if you say no and happily move on.

Beach construction work - During our stay there were 3 diggers and two dumper trucks working from 8-4, Mon-Fri...within about 50m of the beach. After speaking with the foreman he advised they've been on site since June, and are scheduled to complete at the end of October - this was valid up until we recently left, but could obviously change. If you're beach people (like we are) you need to prepare yourself for a certain amount of 'non-Caribbean' noise emanating from the ongoing works... and yes, I'm sure the beach will look lovely once completed. There was also some works completed prior to our arrival on the flood defence on the side of the hotel..which is evidenced by the dozen or so steel pylons that have been driven into one side of the beach. Don't bother trying to snorkel Mon-Fri around the hotel...yes you can if you want, but the diggers scare the fish away, and whilst the water is crystal clear, you can only see a couple of foot in front of you with all the sand that's churned up.

If you're pool people, happy to commute to another beach in the buses laid on by the hotel, or happy to go on lots of trips then the work won't bother you. For us it was a compromise of beach on the weekends, and trips on the weekdays.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Pete M
Dereham, Norfolk,
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 17, 2013

Just returned from a 2 week holiday at Mango Bay.
Warm welcome on arrival, cool towels and drinks handed out to freshen up whilst we waited to be checked in. We were shown around the hotel and booked in for dinner. We were then shown our room were our luggage was waiting for us.
Food is outstanding thanks to chefs like Grantley and Rochelle in the restaurant has the most infectious smile, such a lovely lady, Rondel at the bar will mix up anything you want, One of his specials will ensure a good nights sleep.... The hotel will also provide a packed lunch in a cool bag for when you go out and about sight seeing.
We found the most amazing taxi driver who took us out and about on a few occasions, Michael was so funny, a great way to see the island at your own pace. His mobile number should anyone want it is +2462642992, highly recommend him.
The rooms are spacious and clean, our room 105 was ground floor over looking the pool, lovely, only moan was that the loud music from the surrounding bars could still be heard into the early hours, even thou we had upgraded to a superior room when we booked because of previous comments regarding noise at the front of the hotel.
The hotel provides complimentary trips such as glass bottom boat and catamaran trips both well worth doing. Swimming with the turtles was great. They also offer various other trips, just make sure you know where and when you are going before you go.... Although the hotel refunded us our taxi fare back we were disappointed at being left in a bar/club not on the Oistens trip agenda with a pick up time 2 hours later than we thought we would be back at the hotel, we had a child with us!!!....As I say the hotel did refund the taxi fare but only after my husband chased it a couple of times.
The beach is very small due to erosion which is why the work is being carried out, the diggers are visible and on a few occasions rumbled past about two feet away from our sun loungers, the noise isn't that intrusive only a trunk load of rocks being tipped every now and then and the diggers moving the rocks around. I'm sure it will improve the beach when the work is finished. The hotel is trying to do there very best and are offering a trip to Brandons beach in Bridgetown 3 times a week, complete with drinks and food.
Water sports are on offer from the hotel, my son was too young to take the boat out at 12 years old ( he can sail ) but enjoyed going out with the captain on a couple of occasions
Jet skiing is available from Herbie and Marley his son on the beach, they will offer you a good deal. Look out for the red jet ski.
Fishing trips can also be booked on the beach, just ask the captain in water sports, my son caught 2 x tuna and 2 x mackerel on his trip out.
All in all we had a lovely holiday, I would recommend Mango bay.

Room Tip: I would recommend the superior rooms away from the front of the hotel
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank lovetainos
Bridgetown, Saint Michael, Barbados
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 14, 2013

Mango Bay Hotel was a great experience from beginning to end. From our arrival the staff ensured that we were well taken care of and comfortable. The food was delicious and service was impeccable. Our room was always clean and tidy and it was also spacious with a view of the pool and ocean which set the ambience for a perfect honeymoon environment. The watersports provided a great opportunity for my spouse and I to bond in recreational activities. We would definitely come again.

Room Tip: Higher floors provide a great view of the beach and poolside.
1 Thank Blackmans426
Also consider these accommodations in or near Holetown
Beach View
Sugar Bay Barbados
Sugar Bay Barbados
#2 of 9 in Hastings
The Club, Barbados Resort and Spa
The Club, Barbados Resort and Sp...
#10 of 26 in Saint James Parish
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,671 reviews

Been to Mango Bay All Inclusive? Share your experiences!