Kasbah Hotel Tombouctou
  • Restaurant
Ksar Bicha(Merzouga)
Riad Azawad(Merzouga)
View Hotel
All reviewsbuffet stylesand dunescamel ridecomfortable hotelspacious roombreakfast and dinnerwould highly recommend this hotelbig hotelseparate showerbath areastaff are very attentivebottled waterwide choicelooked beautifulloved this hotelsahara desertstunning location
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 2, 2009

My wife and I stayed at this hotel with 15 other group members. Every person thought that this should be included in "The Leading Hotels of the World"...even our holiday rep.
The rooms are unique, clean & comfortable and wonderful food. The Sahara is just outside with amazing sand dunes. Take a torch if you wish to see the sunrise over the dunes and prepare for a 20 minute or so walk to the sand dune ridge....worth every effort. Of course there is camel station a few yards from the hotel if that's your thing @ 200 Dirrhams (about £15 or so) especially if you find walking in the soft sand a struggle.
If you are in this part of Morocco it's a must.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed February 27, 2009

This hotel is a real desert dream!
It combines tradition with comfort and magic with romantic ambiance.
Situated in Erg Chebbi Desert (the back of the hotel lead to the dunes 50m ahead), we can enjoy the sensation of being a nomad but with a luxury tent.
All the hotel is fantastic, especially the rooms, decorated with extremelly good taste and glamour (my bathroom had more than 40m2!!).
I high recommend Tombouctou, but don't forget that we stay in the best hotel in the neighbour so we can't compare the prices with the others...
It's a must go!

• Stayed: February 2009
Reviewed November 21, 2008

You can stay in a Berber tent if you like, but roughing it for us is a firm mattress, clean sheets, a hot shower and a clean room and that's what you get and more at this kasbah. The place looks like an adobe-style inn in Arizona or New Mexico. The furnishing in the rooms in the new wing are styled to fit the desert environment with a shower and bath area that are both interesting and functional. The only downside is that it gets really dark at night in the desert and it can be tough to see your way to & and from your room. So, bring a little flashlight. We had dinner and breakfast in the main house - both were buffets that we found to be plentiful, tasty and well-displayed. Probably the main reason to come this far is to see the Sahara up close; so, take the early morning camel ride to see the sunrise. While it was cloudy and a little rainy the morning we were there, seeing the Sahara from atop a camel was a experience not to be missed, no matter what the weather.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled with friends
    • Check in / front desk
Reviewed December 16, 2006

I have not stayed at Kasbah Tomboctou / Auberge Tomboctou, although I am sure it is nice.

I post my note here to detail the fleecing and the odd booking process.

I contacted Kasbah Tomboctou directly by phone and was directed to a person called Meriem who was a person at Kasbah Hotel Xaluca Maadid in Erfoud. I called her and with her very limited english, i gathered she wanted me to send an email to xaluca@yahoo.es to book my reservation.

She wrote back saying:

--------------

Hello,

We received your email thank you very much, happy
to
confirm your reservation as bellow:

From the 2 to the 4th/01/2006: 1 double room on
halfboard at the KASBAH TOMBOUCTOU.

Por form:
2 Pax * 2 nights * 45 euros = 180 euros
Amount = 180 euros

Please send us a copie of a bank transfer of 180
euros
for confirmation before 20/12/2006.

Our bank references:

CODE SWIFT: BCPO MAMC

Till then

Meriem/Booking

------------

Now first of all, 45 euros per person for a double room with half-board is an insanely high price to pay for the auberges in merzouga. Most charge around 200 Dirhams (=17 euro), maybe up to a max of 300 Dh or 25 euro.

Secondly, I have never booked at a place that required me to do a full bank transfer of the full amount of our stay totaling 180 euros to their bank account even before I stepped foot in Merzouga, or even Morocco. And then I had to fax them the confirmation of the full funds transfer.

All other auberges will reserve a place for you with just a faxed letter or email even without a credit card number, and not a bank transfer of the full amount.

I wrote back to Meriem and expressed my displeasure on all this and said that I will not be staying at Auberge Tomboctou if this is how they wished to conduct business.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled with friends
6  Thank cynophile
Reviewed November 5, 2006

our guide Rashid [--------]--booked this wonderful hotel. Beautiful exotic rooms, great food, evening music , dawn camel ride Our best memory.
Joanna